PDA

View Full Version : how long should this take?

JRDtechnet
05-08-2008, 04:58 PM
How long should setting up a SBS 2003 r2 server and 5 computers take? All the OS's are preinstalled from Dell. I've setup this exact network before but I always had to install the OS for all the computers. I'm not sure how long it would take me with the OS's pre-installed obviously less time. I'm thinking about 1.5hrs for each client computer(to connect it to the server, setup office/outlook, update, and install AV) and about 3 hours for the server. Then maybe pad that 2 hours to be safe. For a total of about 12 hours or a day and a half.

Simmy
05-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Is it just you setting it up? Two of us had a server 2003 install which took 17 hours, but that was because the owners cocked up the preinstalled copy of the OS so we had to reinstall. Plus it was for 18 computers. Had the owners not messed about with server 2003 before we arrived, it would have saved us 6 hours trying to find and download the right image file. 10-12 hours sounds about right if you're doing it by yourself.

Holzster
05-09-2008, 02:01 AM
what all are you settig up on the server exchange, vpn, or ????

also are these new machines? if they are on them already remember you will have to migrate the profile.

Holzster