PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a powerful ADSL Router

MobileTechie
01-31-2011, 09:24 AM
I have a client with a large house and their current router has problems and needs replacing. Even when it was working OK, it still didn't make it upstairs. I've been thinking of using homeplug + another access point but they've asked about the possibility of a more powerful router.

Anyone have any personal experience of powerful ADSL model/routers they'd care to recommend?

I see Netgear do RangeMax but the reviews look pretty poor.

reesk92
01-31-2011, 01:01 PM
you could just find a router with detatchable antenna and add a more powerfull antenna onto it

phaZed
01-31-2011, 01:42 PM
Radio signals are crazy! Chances are that you will have the same issue with another router. Most antenna setups are only effective on the horizontal plane. I would recommend setting up a repeater on the second floor. I have been impressed with the netgear professional routers and repeaters. Bear in mind that (here in the US at least) there will be a maximum power output for anything you get, set by the FCC.

KompuKare
01-31-2011, 01:49 PM
Maybe you are better off looking to supplement the current ADSL router: use it as a modem and piggy back an cable / ethernet router off that.

Anytime I've looked up ADSL routers they have left me wanting in terms of features (almost no custom firmware even for the ones which run Linux for instance).

shamrin
01-31-2011, 06:10 PM
A more powerful wireless signal may not be the answer unless the one you have now is just defective. Remember that this is a two-way street, you can put a megawatt transmitter on the base station but the remote stations (laptops) are still going to be broadcasting with the same power as before, does no good unless you improve both transmit and receive. Better antennas are often the better solution.

MobileTechie
01-31-2011, 07:41 PM
A more powerful wireless signal may not be the answer unless the one you have now is just defective. Remember that this is a two-way street, you can put a megawatt transmitter on the base station but the remote stations (laptops) are still going to be broadcasting with the same power as before, does no good unless you improve both transmit and receive. Better antennas are often the better solution.

Yes that's what I've been thinking - no point in having all the power in one direction.

I'm going to get a good, solid modem/router and deal with the upstairs via either a repeater or homeplug + another access point.

dstewart
02-01-2011, 01:57 AM
Used to run a small ISP, and had the best luck with the Thomson SpeedTouch modem/routers, most reliable I've experienced. Signal output seemed to be quite good as well.