PDA

View Full Version : joomla setup question

lward1
01-30-2011, 10:15 PM
I have spent the better part of the weekend trying to set up Joomla on my 1and1 web host. Have any of you that have Joomla use 1and1?

I set up the MySql database on my account, downloaded, extracted, and FTP'd all the files and folders to the root directory for my site. I tried the web browser Joomla install, no go I just get 403 and 404 errors. So I found the Joomla 1.5 Install manual PDF and tried all the steps to manually configure and install it still no go 403 and 404 errors.

I have tried everything several times including deleting the DB and creating another on, re uploading the Joomla files and folders.

I had no problems with DB creation and Wordpress install on Fri. for another website, I just wanted to install Joomla and give it a try to see which I liked better.

Anything you all think I could try, I'm all ears, before I just go back to HTML CSS. lol

Thanks.

talmart
01-30-2011, 10:21 PM
I have several sites installed under 1and1. Without knowing the exact steps you have done, I'm not sure how to point you in the right direction. I followed the guides as well and it worked from the start. You may want to contact 1and1 support.

TLE
01-30-2011, 10:27 PM
Sounds like an issue with the file permissions. I think talmart is correct, contact 1&1 and get them to check it out.

ZenMike
01-30-2011, 10:38 PM
Do you get any then when you go to the site, or just 404? Are you putting this in a sub-folder? On a sub-domain? On it's own domain? If you upload a "hello world" html document can you access it?

You've got DNS, the web server, and the DB server. From your brief description it sounds like a hosting configuration issue (including permissions/paths) or a file upload problem (uploading to the correct location).

I'd be happy to spend a moment looking at it for you if you wanted to PM/email me the details.

lward1
01-30-2011, 11:45 PM
ok I have
1and1 Business (Linux)
4 websites
/dirmydomain.com#1 - basic html website
/dirmydomain.com#2 - basic html website
/dirmydomain.com#3 - setup MySql DB and Wordpress on Fri. no problems able to access and working on a website/blog now.
/dirmydomain.com#4 - trying to set up MySql DB and Joomla on.

I deleted all the files/folders from previous html site from /dirmydomain.com#4
Went to the control panel and created a new MySql DB, wrote down db name, db host name, db user name, and db pasword.

I then downloaded Joomla 1.5.22 full package zip. to desktop. un zipped to its own folder on desktop, used Filezilla to ftp all files and folders to
/dirmydomain.com#4 at this point according to the install PDF was to go to my browser type in www.mydomain.com (which I did, got 404 error) and proced with the web browser installation.

I then tried the manual installation. Again following the PDF I created and edited the configuration file, edited the Sql file and saved it where I was supposed to and uploaded them to the server. I then created the database and imported the joomla.sql data. thru php MyAdmin. No errors I can see the tables on the left side of the window. Go back to browser and try again no I get 403 error.

Any thing else I can try or any other info you need let me know.

Thanks,
Les

atlanticjim
01-31-2011, 12:24 AM
I had a bit of trouble setting up my Joomla as well.
One problem that I had was that my sql database was on a different server at the host and I had to address it directly in the Joomla setup.

lward1
02-01-2011, 03:00 AM
Thanks for the response guys, I got it fixed. No I have to learn how it all works and start working on a new site.

I think I was loosing parts of the files or folders by FTP'ing them individually. So I FTP'd the zip to the root directory, created a folder on the server and un zipped it server side, then had to redirect the mydomain.com folder to look at the Joomla folder, then all went as it should with the web browser install.

Thanks again.
Les

MrUnknown
02-01-2011, 10:30 AM
you probably had permission errors or files were transferred incorrectly (binary mode instead of ASCII).

Glad you figured it out though.