PDA

View Full Version : Mac hardware tests

Tintern Tech
01-30-2011, 01:04 PM
Hi all,

In the earlier thread here on Mac resources, there's a link to Hardware Monitor, which can be used for checking a range of sensors in Intel Macs. Wondering if anyone has used it to identify failing/failed sensors, and if so what your experience is?

Thanks.

anonymous Mac Tech
01-30-2011, 03:42 PM
Hi all,

In the earlier thread here on Mac resources, there's a link to Hardware Monitor, which can be used for checking a range of sensors in Intel Macs. Wondering if anyone has used it to identify failing/failed sensors, and if so what your experience is?

Might want to post a link, because hardware monitor isn't bringing anything to mind, unless you mean activity monitor which is located in the utilities folder under applications, which works well for monitoring RAM, HD activity, processes, processor usage, etc. For sensor testing I use the Apple Service diagnostics for the most part. There are also the Apple Hardware Tests that come on the installers of most Macs, but I don't know how in depth the sensor tests are on those tests. For real time monitoring I use istat pro (http://www.islayer.com/apps/istatpro/) while actually booted to the machines own OS. Most sensor problem clues are tied to any one of the fans running at higher or sporatic RPMs for which fans themselves rarely go bad because there is not much to the fans themselves.

Tintern Tech
01-30-2011, 10:30 PM
Thanks for that - being a noob here on the forum it seems my ability to post links is limited. On the Pure Mac site, under diagnostics there's a link to Hardware Monitor, which has been written specifically for Mac. Just wondered if anyone here has actually given it a go. It also reads "Battery data", whatever that might mean. Latest version released December 17 2010...