PDA

View Full Version : Should I get a new domain name?

lward1
01-23-2011, 07:21 PM
Hello All,

This might be rather long so forgive me for that.

I was running my business in Florida for awhile as Computer Service 4U, Inc. I bought the domain name cs4utech.com at the time, I still have that one and use it.
I have since moved to Georgia and am thinking of another name for the business. I am thinking about the name Cairo Computer Solutions, Inc. Now cairocomputersolutions.com is available. The question I have is should I get that domain name? It is pretty long to type into a browser or should I just stick with my old domain name? the CS could stand for Computer Service or Computer Solutions. I would rather have a shorter name for people to type into their browser.

Any thoughts you all have I would be glad to hear them. And thank you.

And by the way Cairo is pronounced "kay ro" like the syrup, and not like the city in Egypt.

DCGPX
01-23-2011, 07:40 PM
Well personally I'd get it any way and poinmt it to your original site for what it costs.

I've got several sites I do this with for locality reasons. Not sure how SEO fits in but for catch all works

16k_zx81
01-23-2011, 07:46 PM
And by the way Cairo is pronounced "kay ro" like the syrup, and not like the city in Egypt.

You realise that your customers will call your business "KI-ROW" because thats the way it reads, right?

If you dont mind them mispronouncing the name, then that fine I guess :)

The thing about a domain name (and a business name for that matter) is that it needs to be memorable. The more easily customers can remember your name, the more easily they can find you, and refer you. "Fred's Computer Repairs" doesnt sound flashy, but you can guarantee that it will be easy for customers to recommend, and easy for their friends to remember and find.

The more abstract from the core role of the business, the more difficult for these things to occur.

As far as long-ish domain names go, the shorter the better, but I think anything under 20 characters is ok as long as its memorable and easy to type. This assumes that you have/can get high rank for the business name, which I think is important inasmuch as its one less thing to have to spend time or money on to optimise the site, and to get found.

Super-long domain names just look unprofessional IMO (multi-hyphen, 20+letters. I dont think that the one you are proposing is over-long though.

Any business name you consider should be relevant but also easy to get SERP for, so there's a trade off between unique and memorable. I would check this before doing anything else. If there are no unique matches, or the unique match is not secure in its position, then you're onto an easy win in SERP when customers search for your business name.

I guess the last thing is that you want something you can stick with. Although its possible to 301 an existing site and retain SEO, its probably not a practice you would want to engage in more than once, at the risk of it affecting rank (this is speculation... someone who knows more about SEO might be able to comment about how many linked 301's you can make before Google gets jack of it?).

Dont know it that helped. Hope it contributes something to your process though :)

Benchtech
01-23-2011, 08:12 PM

I second that this is phonetically sounded out in English as (ki ro) - Taken from Websters Dictionary 2010ed

lward1
01-23-2011, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the input, I think I will go ahead an get the Domain name just to have it. I will play around with it and see how it works out.

As far as how Cairo is pronounced, since the town I live in is called Cairo "Kay-ro" I don't think it will be a problem for locals. I was here 6 months pronouncing it "Ki-ro" until I was corrected in the correct way to say it when I was in a checkout lane talking to someone. I guess this town has to be different,lol.

SMocek
01-24-2011, 04:13 PM
As far as how Cairo is pronounced, since the town I live in is called Cairo "Kay-ro" I don't think it will be a problem for locals. I was here 6 months pronouncing it "Ki-ro" until I was corrected in the correct way to say it when I was in a checkout lane talking to someone. I guess this town has to be different,lol.

For what it's worth, I used to work with a guy from Cairo, IL and he pronounced it "kay-ro" also. So, they're not alone. :)

dogskool
01-24-2011, 06:42 PM
This name is good if you want your SEO keywords to target computer solutions

cairocomputersolutions.com

marcink99
02-10-2011, 03:55 AM
If I ware you I would not buy new domain name. Why bother? I will assume that your current domain is already geting some traffic if not it still has age that gives it more authority in the eyes of search engines.

atlanticjim
02-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Here in NY we have a town called Berlin.
Accent on the first syllable burr'-lynn