PDA

View Full Version : Vista Speed Performance

markiezzi
05-03-2008, 04:09 AM
Hello,

Recently I have had a few HP Pavilion dv6000 with Vista Home come into my shop. The biggest complaint was speed (there computers were slow) they all had 1Gb of ram and running 1.6GHZ cpu speed. What have you guys been able to do to get Vista running faster? I disabled what i think the customer may not miss from the startup (msconfig). I have run ccleaner and disk defragment still seems slow.

Thanks
Mark

gunslinger
05-03-2008, 05:02 AM
Good luck with that. I ran Vista from Feb. 2007 until Nov. 2007 , 32 and 64 bit, home and "ultimate"and gave up and went back to XP. I have worked on over 60 systems with Vista and have yet to even come close to the speed of XP. I have tried reg tweaks, tweaking tools, Ccleaner, defraging, stopping un-needed services, adding more RAM and many , many other things. When I did get Vista to improve some it became unstable.

1.6 GHZ and 1gig of RAM? I have ran Vista on a 2.4GHZ dual core with 4gigs of RAM and vista still ran like a drunk slug. I have a friend who has it on a 3.0GHZ quad system with 8 gigs of RAM and a 15000 rpm HDD and vista is still slower than xp is on one of my old p4 1.5 ghz systems.

The best advice that I can give is to shut down all the background services that you can, install as little as you can and prey it don't kill Vista. Or go to a decent OS like XP if you can find drivers for it.

05-03-2008, 03:11 PM
The first thing I'd do is upgrade the ram in the system, if your customer approves of the cost. 1Gb is decent for XP, but I usually tell people to get at least 2gb for Vista. (It'll run on 1gb, of course, but ram is so cheap it's worth the upgrade regardless of OS)

Next up, find out if the customer cares about the new GUI features of Vista...if they do, skip this step. If they only want it to run faster, disable Aero. Disable all of the shadows, font smoothing, and turn off the sidebar.

Disable the indexing/Windows search service. Disable readyboost. Disable System restore (unless you actually LIKE that...I personally hate it and don't think it tends to cause more problems when people abuse it) Disable remote registry. Disable SSDP discovery. Disable offline files, infrared monitoring, tablet input, diagnostic policy, and windows error reporting.
Obviously, keep whatever services you want, if you want any of those.....

I'm running Vista on two of my machines...my Macbook and a Media Center...and think it runs reasonably well. Honestly, the only reason I dislike Vista is because it comes with so many useless features turned on by default....but once they're all turned off, I think it runs reasonably well. That's my opinion, I know the popular opinion on here is to not like the OS, though....

bluescreenpc
05-13-2008, 07:40 PM
I usually do everything 14049752 said above and let PC Decrapifier go wild uninstalling all the HP bloatware that runs in the background.

http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/

juiceman39
05-16-2008, 04:57 AM
I've also ran into this. It took 2gb memory minimum to run decent. Delete all HP factory software, Norton, the above mentioned fixes, turn off UAC, turn off many services. Turn off startup programs not required. Vista will run pretty smooth-but still slower than XP.

gunslinger
05-16-2008, 01:03 PM
Exactly juiceman39. I have disabled all un-needed services, uninstalled all the bloatware/crapware, turned off UAC, killed off windows defender and installed SP1. Ran it on 4 gigs of RAM and its still slower than my old p4 one gig system.

If you want to run Vista, a slow, unstable machine is what you have to live with until Microsoft fixes it.

generalj
05-16-2008, 06:43 PM
Like above I disable these Services.

ReadyBoost
Superfetch
Indexing/shadowcopy
Windows Defender
Parental Controls
Windows Search

I then disable
UAC

I turn Aero off and use the regular Windows Vista Theme

Use msconfig to disable startup not needed.

Uninstall any bloat ware.
Also many hp laptops come with Roxio Cd which has like 7 entry's in the add/remove and that is a well known system slow down bloat ware so get rid of it if you see it. I would also since this is a customers pc let them know/get permission and offer another cd burning package from the net if possible, but vista does have cd and dvd writing abilities built in so unless they want to make labels etc then you can get a freeware program for them for that.

Also SP1 is supposed to fix some performance issues but I just was able to install yesterday so I have not had time to test this. Does seem to be safe to install though.

I would recommend that if you install sp1 that you do it through Windows Update for now.

There is some drivers that don't play well with sp1 and windows update wont even give you the option to install it if it detects them so its a nice way to know if you have any of those drivers.

Make sure you do all the required and recommended update, may need like 3 or so reboots and more updates before sp1 will show up in there.