PDA

View Full Version : form when buying from a customer

tarik
01-21-2011, 09:36 AM
hi, i was just wondering if anyone had a form for when they buy something from a customer ie a second hand laptop/faulty laptop for spares etc?
anyone willing to share?

tankman1989
01-21-2011, 11:56 AM
hi, i was just wondering if anyone had a form for when they buy something from a customer ie a second hand laptop/faulty laptop for spares etc?
anyone willing to share?

What kind of form are you talking about? What would be it's purpose?

tarik
01-21-2011, 11:58 AM
i dont know really. i guess sort of a receipt that the customer can fill in when buying from the customer so basically to cover our backs.
Does that make sense?

Knightsman
01-21-2011, 01:02 PM
I would just make something up saying, we are purchasing this and realease all ownership of the files on the hard drive, etc.

Total cost of purchase..

normally I dont buy these, to much hassle.

tarik
01-21-2011, 01:04 PM
yeh something along them lines, sometimes we get good deals on second hand laptops from customers though and can make a tidy profit on them so its hard to resist.

vdub12
01-21-2011, 04:33 PM
I don't typically buy stuff. Most of the time the customers give me there old computers. I wipe the drives and harvest or resell the system.

tankman1989
01-21-2011, 08:18 PM
i dont know really. i guess sort of a receipt that the customer can fill in when buying from the customer so basically to cover our backs.
Does that make sense?

So basically something that says that the customer relinquishes ownership of such and such machine to "you/your business name" for the amount of "X dollars". This machine includes the following parts or components:
Case
Power supply
Mother board
CPU & CPU fan
RAM
Hard Drive (s)
Video card
Wireless Card

(If you want you could fill in the details of each component to make it more accurate)

This would be good if buying from a business so they would have a record of sales of an asset.

Fubs
01-21-2011, 09:29 PM
This is what we use when buying used stuff. It's modified from the form the DMV uses when you want to sell your used car. So I assume the wording is good enough.

================================================== ==========

Bill of Sale

Merchandise(s) for Sale: __________________________________________________ _

For the Sum of __________________________________________________ ________

The receipt of which hereby acknowledged, I did sell this subject merchandise(s) to:

__________________________________________________ _________________

On the _________ day of ______________________ , 20______ .

I hereby certify (1) The selling price shown is true and correct, (2) I am the lawful owner, (3) I have the right to sell the subject merchandise(s), (4) I guarantee and defend the title to the merchandise(s) I sold against the claims and demands of any and all persons arising prior to this date, and (5) The said merchandise(s) is free of all liens and encumbrances.

Seller’s name: __________________________________________________ _________

Address: __________________________________________________ _____________

City: ___________________________________ State: __________ Zip: ____________

Telephone: (Home) ________________________ (Cell) __________________________

California Driver License #: ________________________, Valid till: _______________

Seller acknowledged receipt of payment in full:

Seller signed: _______________________________ Date: ______________________

Co-Seller signed: _____________________________ Date: ______________________

================================================== ========

Anyway, besides providing a receipt it'll protect you from the cops if you inadvertenly buy stolen goods. I just served as an expert witness in a case where the defendent bought a 5 year old laptop for $200 and was caught when he resold. The defendent claimed he did not know it was stolen and the prosecution said he did because of how low he bought it for. They argued that because he resold it for a lot more than he paid for (isn't that how capitalism works?--buy low, sell high), that he knew its real value was much higher and therefore he should have known it was stolen. To make a long story short, the defendent won because of my testimony. But I found it sad at how much the court system cost. My time and testimony cost the public defenders office $1,000.00 and I can only imagine the other costs to accured by the court and the cop who took a day off (I'm sure it was a paid day off) to give testimony. All this over a $100 POS used laptop.

tarik
01-22-2011, 09:04 AM
yes fubs something like that! thanks very much

GreenCycleComputers
01-22-2011, 04:39 PM
Seems kinda pointless unless you want something either for tax purposes or to remove liability for data. While I buy a lot of parts/systems off Craigslist, I rarely buy from customers (does that mean you are taking in trade for services rendered?).

Paul Rodgers
01-22-2011, 05:40 PM
I will not buy from customers. Too much of a liability if the item turns out to be stolen.

joydivision
01-22-2011, 05:46 PM
I don't ever buy any items because it looks like too much conflict of interest. I sometimes get given old PCs, if I get them given to I give the customer back the hard drive and just take the rest.

I have now got a lockup full of 2004 era Dells with dead motherboards but I sometimes raid parts of them for my own personal computers.

Cornerstone Technologies
02-11-2011, 07:17 PM
I can appreciate an apprehension against buying things from customers. I have heard countless stories on how 'it fell off the truck'. I worked at a place that bought about 20 copies of Windows 7 ultimate and just as many Snow Leopard DVDs right after the release of Windows 7. It was wrong, but the justification was that the little guy had to take advantage of every opportunity, regardless of the ethical standpoint. It should not be a shock to learn that the two owners were car dealers in a previous (failed) life. Scummy as all hell.

However, I will admit i learned a lot from these two. Mostly, on how not to run a business. But the one thing that worked well for them was accepting trades for new or newer equipment. People were low-balled, but we managed to score some decent stuff for cheap. And on the backend of the deal, more money was made and possibly a new customer. I won't deny it, but it was fairly often that one of the owners would purchase a real turd for like $30 and have it refurbished and sold for over $150. Those deals often went south a short time later.

Overall, I would say the practice can be very profitable if done right. It's something I do in my shop, but due to certain issues, I resell them on eBay or craigslist whenever I need to.