PDA

View Full Version : Clean your keyboard & mouse right now!

JosephLeo
01-19-2011, 12:38 AM
Hey guys, I just have to tell you something that I do every year. I just cleaned my keyboard and mouse. I didn't do the "wet nap and wipe" technique, and I didn't "take of the letters and clean under too" no, I cleaned the entire keyboard and mouse.

I opened up both devices to their bare parts, took away all of the electronic components, filled a small bucket with water and washed all the dead skin and food particles away from the plastic and rubber parts.

The result? Well, my keyboard feels and looks like new, but also the keys are more "springy" now because there is no more grime slowing the keys down, this also reduced the clickity-clack sound they make as well since I don't have to press as hard anymore, and thus my typing speed actually improved a little bit as well. My mouse, well, it glides like it's floating in air now and the tracking also improved- but what's really nice about it is that the texture of it is all smooth and silky instead of oily.

I do this once a year around this time of year, but I heard some people do this twice a year. Oh by the way, in my mouse I found a ball the size of a penny that was made out of lint and oil...yuck!

TopLevelComp
01-19-2011, 12:51 AM
I throw my keyboards in the dishwasher. Always put them as brand new.

AdamsAPlus
01-19-2011, 06:57 PM
Maybe I should start offering that as an extra, to make more money.

Ccomp5950
01-19-2011, 07:44 PM
From an environmental standpoint: Cleaning your keyboard and mouse make good sense.

From an economic standpoint: Throw them away and purchase a new pair, you just saved yourself 2 hours worth of time for 10 dollars.

tankman1989
01-19-2011, 08:50 PM
No optical mouse Joseph? Any specific reason?

rapidcom
01-20-2011, 01:05 PM
I think this has been brought up on another thread, but it is worth mentioning here too.

Cyber Clean (http://www.cyberclean.tv/) is what I use, it is a goo like thing that makes it much easier to clean keyboards. I buy mine at Target (for the US Techs).

muncherw
01-20-2011, 02:05 PM
I throw my keyboards in the dishwasher. Always put them as brand new.

That's the way I do it too.

JosephLeo
01-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Maybe I should start offering that as an extra, to make more money.

Why not, sounds like a good idea ;) Just make sure for your clients you take extra precaution in making sure it's dry. Just because it looks dry doesn't mean it is.

From an environmental standpoint: Cleaning your keyboard and mouse make good sense.

From an economic standpoint: Throw them away and purchase a new pair, you just saved yourself 2 hours worth of time for 10 dollars.

$10...can you tell me where you buy your keyboards from because the cheapest I can find them is $15 for those ugly loud clickety-clack ones.

No optical mouse Joseph? Any specific reason?

I'm using an optical mouse, unless maybe you confused "ball of the size of a penny" with ball mouse.

I think this has been brought up on another thread, but it is worth mentioning here too.

Cyber Clean (http://www.cyberclean.tv/) is what I use, it is a goo like thing that makes it much easier to clean keyboards. I buy mine at Target (for the US Techs).

That's good, but it won't remove 100% of everything that's DEEPLY embedded in there. Plus, it's still gross because of the hair and dead skin involved.

Ocelot
01-20-2011, 09:00 PM
I just deep cleaned my keyboard after about a year of usage and I was surprised at how much stuff came out from inside the keyboard :eek:

I'm too afraid to open my mouse and clean it though

tankman1989
01-22-2011, 12:25 AM
I'm using an optical mouse, unless maybe you confused "ball of the size of a penny" with ball mouse.

I assumed a ball mouse because I didn't see how dust could get inside an optical (he types as he examines his mouse closely:D). I guess I will have to disassemble my mouse and see what I find (buttons are starting to stick).

I just took apart 2 Logitech optical mice (6-7 years dirty, lol) and didn't find any lint/dirt in mine and they get some heavy usage at times. I'm still having trouble seeing how the dust got inside your mouse. I want to thank you for posting this because I have 2-3 keyboards which need cleaning and the one mouse does click much better.

Ccomp5950
01-22-2011, 12:55 AM
$10...can you tell me where you buy your keyboards from because the cheapest I can find them is $15 for those ugly loud clickety-clack ones.

Was allied Semiconductor in Richardson Texas. I would just ask for "El Cheapo" and they would supply it. I was off a little bit (Tax Season I went through my ivoices once more) it's $5 for usb optical mouse and $7.50 for keyboard.

They are about the equivalent to the keyboards you get with New Dell computers.

They went out of business though (not from under priced keyboards I assure you) back in November and the sales manager from there joined another business AllTech that I'm starting to use, haven't ordered keyboards from them yet so no idea on price.

JosephLeo
01-23-2011, 12:22 AM
I assumed a ball mouse because I didn't see how dust could get inside an optical (he types as he examines his mouse closely:D). I guess I will have to disassemble my mouse and see what I find (buttons are starting to stick).

You see those left and right clickers? Yeah, well over the years little bits of skin get caught in the edges and fall into the cavity of the mouse and it builds up. I had a tiny ball of dead skin, oily residue and even hair o_O

Was allied Semiconductor in Richardson Texas. I would just ask for "El Cheapo" and they would supply it. I was off a little bit (Tax Season I went through my ivoices once more) it's $5 for usb optical mouse and $7.50 for keyboard.

They are about the equivalent to the keyboards you get with New Dell computers.

They went out of business though (not from under priced keyboards I assure you) back in November and the sales manager from there joined another business AllTech that I'm starting to use, haven't ordered keyboards from them yet so no idea on price.

Ah, okay. I can't imagine a keyboard that cheap would be reliable- or even useable.

madmark
01-28-2011, 02:41 PM
I just picked up two usb keyboards from office max for about $7 with tax.

Graystar
01-28-2011, 05:55 PM
I made the switch to Logitech Trackballs about five years ago and have not looked back. I now have six of these devices (I have yet to have one fail either) I even carry one in my laptop bag.
Not only are they better for Carpal they have two distinct benefits.
1. They stay stationary so they don't need a square ft of desktop to be usable.
2. Extremely easy to clean. Lift out the ball and a quick wipe with a tissue and it is clean.

Everyone that I have gotten to buy one and try it has agreed that it is far easier to use than a mouse.

My two cents...

vdub12
01-29-2011, 07:39 PM

I'm with you. I would rather just replace them. They don't cost that much and if I was talking about the billable hours I would loose by doing it its just not worth it.

Avgsmoe
01-29-2011, 10:47 PM
http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2011/1/28/9eadce82-05b0-4d69-b5b4-cede139ff5e2_thumb.jpeg

Edit: photo courtesy break.com

TopLevelComp
01-30-2011, 04:21 AM
That keyboard would've been better if it had gone through the dishwasher :p

callthatgirl
01-30-2011, 10:38 PM
I actually have a 1997 IBM keyboard that I was use every single day. I clean it out about once a year. It's a clicky key model M I think. I believe that I can wash mine in the bathtub too (from what I have heard anyway).

I will post pics tomorrow, but this thing is a classic. I just googled it and they are going for $40-$110 on ebay. I'm glad I kept mine and it's awesome to use. It's very loud though, but I love hearing the "clicky" when I type and it's almost like a typewriter. I love it!
http://benchmarkreviews.com/images/reviews/input_devices/mechanical_keyboards/ibm_model_m_keyboard.jpg

TopLevelComp
01-31-2011, 09:12 PM
I don't clean and wash keyboard and mouse.
I replace both with new one after every 3 months.

Why? That's oddly expensive.

Bobbing
01-31-2011, 10:26 PM
I actually have a 1997 IBM keyboard that I was use every single day. I clean it out about once a year. It's a clicky key model M I think. I believe that I can wash mine in the bathtub too (from what I have heard anyway).

I will post pics tomorrow, but this thing is a classic. I just googled it and they are going for $40-$110 on ebay. I'm glad I kept mine and it's awesome to use. It's very loud though, but I love hearing the "clicky" when I type and it's almost like a typewriter. I love it!
http://benchmarkreviews.com/images/reviews/input_devices/mechanical_keyboards/ibm_model_m_keyboard.jpg

Those are awesome. Reminds me of the rotary phone. Can be used as a weapon if needed. :D

KM@ Dave
02-01-2011, 10:07 PM
To be honest, I'm one of those people that buy a new keyboard as soon as the keys start sticking.

I did, once, waste an hour cleaning my ex girlfriends M$ keyboard that broke 5 days later.

But I do see your point in cleaning it, I mean imagine how much bacteria is lying between the buttons, ewwwww.

ajc196
02-01-2011, 11:55 PM
Lol. Made me think of this:

http://i.imgur.com/avTtC.png

KM@ Dave
02-14-2011, 01:32 AM
They should make Keyboards with "Toaster trays" in them. If it were me using it I'd receive a months worth of Nuts, Toast and crackers every time I empty it.

To be honest every time I empty my Toaster I am rewarded with a loaf a Bread. Saves a shop trip ;)

BeefTipz
02-19-2011, 11:05 PM
Has anyone tried using the roll up keyboards you just plug into your USB? I imagine that would be easiest to clean. Except for this bluetooth keyboard I saw on a Geek Paraphernalia site... It projects a laser image of they keys onto a flat surface and you just type there, but it's like $200. Would like to try one out though.

Xander
02-19-2011, 11:30 PM
I carry one of the rollups in my kit for when they're having keyboard problems. I can not imagine using one for everyday use, though.
I've seen the projection keyboards on ThinkGeek. Sweet looking but, again, you'd be typing onto a flat surface and it's not very ergonomic.