PDA

View Full Version : Job opportunity

i2omani
04-29-2008, 05:07 PM
Gents,
i want to take your opinion, i was chatting on irc last night, some guy logged in and was having issue networking 2 xp laptops.
i helped him troubleshoot the problem and it was that one of the laptop had a different Network ID "1)192.168.1.2 AND 2)192.168.0.10".
He told me that he do this for living he got a 10 hotel clients that he does computer and related IT to. I asked if he could help me promote my business and he said he will show me how, then he asked if i will work for him and how much i would like to make /day? because his business is going so well that he is loosing money because he is working by him self!!:eek:
we exchange phone numbers:rolleyes:

what do you guys think of this ? should i proceed ? how can i make sure this guy will not rip me off and make me work for him then he will not pay me?

i will appreciate any input

Regards
Romani

thecoldone06
04-29-2008, 05:15 PM
I would first look into his company just to make sure he's telling you the truth up front. I'm not belittling anyone here but if he does IT work for a living and couldn't figure out that the IP addresses weren't on the same network, thats pretty standard and would make me think that he's not being completely truthful. If it turns out that he is being honest and his business is going well then check it out and see how it turns out. Don't quit doing it on your own just in case it goes south but definitely stay with it and hopefully it will turn out for the best. Good luck!

i2omani
04-29-2008, 05:45 PM
but if he does IT work for a living and couldn't figure out that the IP addresses weren't on the same network, thats pretty standard and would make me think that he's not being completely truthful. luck!
I thought the same thing but sometimes this happen to me and i need someone to have a second look especially if i am tired

thecoldone06
04-29-2008, 05:48 PM
I thought the same thing but sometimes this happen to me and i need someone to have a second look especially if i am tired

I completely agree. Which is why I believe it would be something to definitely look into. Just be careful and watch your back! :)

JohnG
05-01-2008, 08:21 PM
ditto the other replys...beware of social engineering!

i2omani
05-02-2008, 02:46 PM
ditto the other replys...beware of social engineering!
what do you mean? was that english?!

thecoldone06
05-02-2008, 02:53 PM
Social Engineering attacks are not actual technology based attacks. They are done by someone, for example, calling a company masked as someone else such as an administrator and asking someone for their user id and password. If the person falls for the attack, they will give the person everything they need to get into the system. This is just one example of one, there are many and they are fairly frequently used. Just keep an eye out and be careful.