PDA

View Full Version : Wordpress themes non-blog

Crgky127
01-18-2011, 08:02 PM
So currently I've got the Podnutz template as a welcome page, and a Wordpress blog (empty atm) as a separate thing. I've heard that in recent years Wordpress has become suitable for basic static brochure/welcome type pages as well as blogs. I would like to go all Wordpress, but have a static welcome page like the Podnutz page with giant phone number, etc (rather than the main page being the first or last blog entry), and also have the option for people to read blog entries if they want. Is there a name for the type of theme that is more suited to this? Is there a website or section of a website for these non standard blog Wordpress themes? Can you recommend any of these themes?

TopLevelComp
01-18-2011, 09:42 PM
Check this out:
http://themeforest.net/category/wordpress

They are SUPER cheap for quality layouts.

Canadian Tech
01-18-2011, 09:49 PM
Wordpress has a lot of free themes that can be edited to suit your needs. My website was created with wordpress and I have a blog on it as well.

16k_zx81
01-19-2011, 12:13 AM
+1 Themeforest

In my exp its worth paying a few bucks for a good theme.

On the subject of picking one - I know this sounds like stating the obvious - but best approach I found was sorting by popularity then looking at ratings. If the theme has enormous downloads and a 5 star rating its worth buying. This is an indicator that the theme works as advertised and the developer is providing quality after-sales support.

Its also worth getting a theme with a good range of features, as it may not seem like they will come into play initially, but having them there can be very handy down the track and it saves doing the modifications manually yourself.

Crgky127
01-19-2011, 01:04 AM
So is there a term for what I'm looking for, or is it just a case of finding themes that don't have the first/last post as the start page?

TopLevelComp
01-19-2011, 01:06 AM
So is there a term for what I'm looking for, or is it just a case of finding themes that don't have the first/last post as the start page?

Good themes for Wordpress will produce basically a website that doesn't look a blog.

Ccomp5950
01-19-2011, 01:22 AM
http://codex.wordpress.org/Creating_a_Static_Front_Page

dogskool
01-19-2011, 01:23 AM
With Wordpress you can make any page the Start page.

Go to the Admin Section
Settings -> Reading

Crgky127
01-20-2011, 02:45 PM
Thanks guys, I went with this one http://themeforest.net/item/shapeshifter-one-page-infinite-possibilities/75759

itwaskaisersoze
01-30-2011, 06:23 AM
Nice theme- I'd love to see how you customize it, can you let us know when it's up?

italian
01-30-2011, 12:45 PM
can you still build a website with word press and not have a blog on it? all the templates I see have a blog and I don't want one.

dogskool
01-30-2011, 02:59 PM
can you still build a website with word press and not have a blog on it? all the templates I see have a blog and I don't want one.

Yes, you simply make the Blog page 'Private' in the 'Pages' section.

And I would also set 'Comments' to default OFF.

imyouradmin
01-30-2011, 11:49 PM
I love wordpress so many things that you can do with it really anything from your own e com or your blog personlized ANYTHING.

Codemonkey
01-31-2011, 03:39 AM
My site is running on wordpress using the Thesis framework.

http://diythemes.com/

Create pages rather than posts, turn off comments and tweak permalinks.

rmusser
03-08-2011, 08:04 PM
To the OP, did you ever get that theme working? I purchased the theme as I'm trying to make a website for myself and found that it doesn't work. Did you ever get it working and if so how?

16k_zx81
03-08-2011, 09:00 PM
To the OP, did you ever get that theme working? I purchased the theme as I'm trying to make a website for myself and found that it doesn't work. Did you ever get it working and if so how?

whats the problem with it?

Mottster
03-15-2011, 04:32 PM
I'm running wordpress as the backend for my site, but doesn't look like a blog.

RoseburgHelpDesk
04-27-2013, 03:26 AM
Wordpress has a lot of free themes that can be edited to suit your needs. My website was created with wordpress and I have a blog on it as well.

Your site is very nice. Close to what I would like. Where did you get it?

RoseburgHelpDesk
04-27-2013, 03:32 AM
Thanks guys, I went with this one http://themeforest.net/item/shapeshifter-one-page-infinite-possibilities/75759

Not my style although it would be nice to see the outcome you make of it.

seedubya
04-27-2013, 12:43 PM
I honestly think thread necromancy - especially that which adds NOTHING to the site should merit a temporary ban.

JustInspired
04-27-2013, 04:17 PM
I honestly think thread necromancy - especially that which adds NOTHING to the site should merit a temporary ban.

Thread necromancy. Hehe, I like it. :)
Must admit I found some dredged up threads this morning courtesy Mr Necromancer that I'd never seen before and one was quite interesting. :p
Whoops, sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was encouraging it. :D

Xander
04-27-2013, 05:10 PM

If it actually contributed something... maybe fine. But to dig up an ancient thread to add AOL-level "I agree" to it? Ohhhhhyeah.