PDA

View Full Version : In over my head

0gr3
01-17-2011, 05:15 PM
Hello All,

Not sure if anyone remembers me.....been a long since I have been around but I need help and this is one of the best places in which I ever found it.

There is a local charity start up and I have just been made sys admin, graphics guy and web dev.

I have never built a public facing site before so I really have no clue how to go about this.....

I am looking at different hosts but I don't know how much disk space I will need for a web site, how much bandwidth or what other sort of features or even which language to use :S

A little info behind why I took this on before I get told to jump ship and give it to someone who can do it.

My little cousin has a rare form of brain cancer and out of no where the family has gotten together and we are starting up a charity foundation.
I am the only technical person in the family (Specialities being network management and hardware support) so I am taking this task on along side my day job to see this gets off so we can help other families in this situation. It's going to be a non-profit organization that fund raises to provide financial aid to those who have family with paediatric cancer.

I don't know a whole lot about web dev but I am planning on going with HTML and CSS since to me they make the most sense and I should be able to get a solid grasp on it.

I am going to need an SSL cert eventually to take donations through the site but for now I think the easiest way is to go through paypal and let them manage that.

Hosting is what is confusing me the most....I have no idea how much bandwidth a site can use.

Go daddy offers unlimited bandwidth and 150GB of storage which I think will be more than enough for the site and also 500MB mail storage but I have never used them before so I don't know how their support is or how good they are in general.

I know someone on here offers hosting but I don't remember who but if someone can let me know who it is I would like to look into that also.

I am more or less looking for a point in the right direction in the form of a "Look here, here or here as it contain useful info" or " I have used this service and liked or didn't like" but as always any other info or suggestions you can offer would be great.

Lone99star
01-17-2011, 05:23 PM
Look here: http://myhosting.com/web-hosting/non-profit/

Also google non-profit web hosting.

0gr3
01-17-2011, 05:32 PM
Thanks Lone99Star...That looks perfect. If anyone else has hosting suggestions please keep them coming or anything else you can offer.

BryanVest
01-17-2011, 06:02 PM
I use godaddy for all my hosting. For reliability and speed there really is no match. Especially if you use some coupons ;)

Xander
01-17-2011, 06:21 PM
I've been using GoDaddy for the last year or so. The times I've called, I've found their staff to be bend-over-backwards helpful.

0gr3
01-24-2011, 02:14 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions, I have decided that if I can't get the free hosting I will be going with go daddy.

EDIT: has anyone dealt with host gator? They seem to have some very competitive packages and features.