PDA

View Full Version : AVG Free is now 8.0; bloatware or no?

iladelf
04-28-2008, 05:09 AM
I'll answer that yes, I believe the good ol' reliable free AVG antivirus has now become a bloatware piece, in this new incarnation of 8.0. It's almost one of those "Swiss Army Knife" programs I can't stand (AV, antispyware, link scanner, etc.), and on a brand new install of Windows, doubled shudown time, from 15 to 30 seconds, and NEARLY TRIPLED BOOT TIMES, from about one minute to just under three minutes.

Granted, the machine I tested this on was an underpowered laptop (2.4 GHz P4 with 192 RAM), but still, that's frickin' ridiculous.

I was basically completing final reinstall procedures with this Windows install; now looks like I'll have to start all over. Here's hoping the uninstall procedure brings the boot and shutdown times back to normal. No program should make your computer act like it has Windows Rot right after a clean install. I've loved AVG for years; looks like they've laid an egg.

Right now, I'm not happy with ANY of the free AV programs anymore; none of them seem lightweight like they use to. Only thing I'm test-running (and liking) so far is Threatfire, with nothing else on my daily surfer.

What's your take?

PS Don't believe me? Read some of these comments:

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/04/24/avg-8-0-free-released-now-with-protection-from-spyware/#comments

jj2000
04-28-2008, 07:51 AM
must admit i feel the same way it has become over blown and sluggish.

gunslinger
04-28-2008, 12:27 PM
But guys, you forget the most important thing: It so darn pretty. All blue and shiny. Thats what matters, just ask people who like Vista, Nero, Roxio, and Norton.

All sarchasim aside, I just installed it on a virtual machine and I'm already not liking it very much. It seems all the former good programs are going this way now.

tartis
04-28-2008, 03:14 PM
I sold AVG 8 Internet Security on a users 7 year old computer and it really slowed that machine to a crawl. I also had to stop the Web Protect stuff from running to get AOL v8 to run. It works, but you had better have a newer PC to run it effectivly.

MHCG
04-28-2008, 03:16 PM
So, what's everybody using instead of AVG now? Avast? Many clients need lightweight AV because they don't have the most powerful computers.

jamesbhp
04-28-2008, 03:57 PM
Anyone use Antivir much? I haven't had a chance to try it out. How is it's footprint and system usage?

04-28-2008, 04:22 PM
I use Avast because I never liked AVG. Avast's boot time scan is very helpful, so thats why I stick with it.

As far as a free, ultra lightweight antivirus, has anyone tried about Comodo Antivirus? I like comodo software because it's all free, even to commercial users, but I haven't used the antivirus much.

Blues
04-28-2008, 05:51 PM
My problem with Avast was it just didn't catch anything atleast not on an already infected machine however AVG cleaned it up. I can't say I would continue to use AVG now that it is no longer a clean efficient app but this does leave us in a tough spot for free solutions.

Jory
04-28-2008, 08:43 PM
From what I've seen most people seem to be moving from AVG to Avast. This might be the nail in the coffin for AVG among the tech crowd.

gunslinger
04-28-2008, 09:08 PM
I'm going to test Comodo Antivirus. I know they make the best firewall I ever used.

I did try Antivir for a while on my kids computer and found it to be about like AVG, but I did not like the user interface.

Jura
04-28-2008, 09:34 PM
I'm going to test Comodo Antivirus. I know they make the best firewall I ever used.

And the most annoying. The interface is annoying too...doesn't have an easy simple view of what is blocked and what isn't.

gunslinger
04-29-2008, 03:03 AM
Once trained I did not have a problem with it being annoying. Avast on the other hand is the most software I have used other than Vista.

04-29-2008, 04:19 AM
I agree, Gunslinger....Avast's default settings are SUPER annoying. The popups and the sounds should be disabled by default... I always change the annoying settings every time I install it. Aside from expired keys, it never prompts me or alerts me....unless it detects something, of course.

Also, I tried to test out Comodo a little while ago and found out that it won't install on Vista...so I won't be using that.

gunslinger
04-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Yet another fine bit of software that wont work with Vista. What a surprise.

WareDat
04-30-2008, 10:52 AM
I'll answer that yes, I believe the good ol' reliable free AVG antivirus has now become a bloatware piece, in this new incarnation of 8.0. It's almost one of those "Swiss Army Knife" programs I can't stand (AV, antispyware, link scanner, etc.), and on a brand new install of Windows, doubled shudown time, from 15 to 30 seconds, and NEARLY TRIPLED BOOT TIMES, from about one minute to just under three minutes.

I haven't experienced any negative effects in system performance or boot/shutdown times on any of the machines I have updated to AVG 8 Free. However I dislike the new Link Scanner because it slows the browser, and turning it off leaves an exclamation point on the tray icon. It would have been nice if they put an entry in custom setup to not install this feature as well as the anti spyware feature, but at least there is a way to not install that component.

Run the installer with the following switch /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch

Other then this annoyance I think AVG Free is still a a solid anti virus with some welcome new features such as the inclusion of "potential unwanted file detection" previously only available in the paid version of AVG. I also believe AVG was long over due for a gui update, and the new version seems to be friendlier to new users then 7.5 was.

For myself I dislike having the spyware component built in, but feel it is a great addition adding an extra level of protection for my home customers.

tauzin23
05-08-2008, 12:40 PM
I have installed AVG 8.0 on multiple computers and mostly on slower less powerful computers and they seem to be doing fine. I do however disable the link scanner by going into firefox addons and disable it there so I don't see the exclamation mark at the bottom. You can also disable it inside of internet explorer. I also disable the daily scan option when installing... find this gets annoying for my clients. :)

mh348
05-30-2008, 07:23 AM
Has anyone here tried Clamwin as a Desktop AntiVirus, not just portable AV. I know that it does not have a Resident Scanner and that you have to manually scan, bu is there a way to schedule a weekly scan.

I need a lightweigh Free AV for a client as I installed AVG and they are complainging that PC has become too slow. Usually for business users I install NOD32, for home users AVG and for those willing to pay I also use NOD32. I'm also considering using Avast for clients, what default settings shoul I disable?

Blues
05-30-2008, 01:00 PM
Did you install AVG with out the extras like someone mentioned earlier?

Phishie
05-30-2008, 05:01 PM
A couple of weeks ago I was trying to help my sister out with her computer over the phone. The thing was so damn slow that we eventually gave up. So I went over a few days later to give her computer a tuneup, cleaning, and security makeover. I installed AVG 8.0 on it and was unhappy that it had something running constantly and taking up 50MB of memory when AVG 7.5 only took up something like 5MB.

Another program I am starting to dislike is Comodo Firewall. They are loading in extra junk but for now you are able to disable it all. Hopefully Comodo doesn't sabotage their free firewall also.

Checkmate
05-30-2008, 08:26 PM
Ok, I'll be the odd man out. I used to be a proud supporter of AVG, but after 8.0 bloat, just can't do it. So in process I have tested AntiVir, it is alright, but scan is extremely slow, and doesn't have email shield. I have switched over to PC Tools AntiVirus, lightweight (4.8-5.3mb) and the interface is clean.

Have been testing Threatfire also, and I really like it. One of the nicest apps in awhile. But, don't use it with AVG 8 it will bog.

Just my opinion.

generalj
05-30-2008, 11:31 PM
how cool would it be to have a google antivirus product, I think google needs to get us one. lol

Crgky127
05-31-2008, 12:24 PM
Meh, look what happened to norton when it tried to do too much.

jaross18
05-31-2008, 02:40 PM
I don't have a problem with AVG. AVG 8.0 isn't made to be installed on 9 year old systems. It was made to be installed on todays systems.

Thats like installing Norton 360 or Vista on a system that has 256 or 512 MB of RAM. Its going to run slowwwww.

When users buy a cheap computer from the store, they are coming with 2GB of ram and a dual core processor. Installing AVG 8.0 on those types of systems is the same thing as installing avg 7.5 on a system that has a P3 256MB of RAM.

AVG 7.5 works great with the older systems.

AVG 8.0 works great with the new systems.

So don't try and install AVG 8.0 on a old system and expect it to be just as fast. Thats not going to happen.

AVG has great detection rules and the best part about it is that it's free.

gunslinger
05-31-2008, 07:06 PM
I disagree with some of what is stated above. Its a resource hog or its not, just like Vista. I tested AVG 8 on a dual core system with two gigs of RAM running XP and the same spec machine running Vista and it slowed both down a lot. More so on the already crippled Vista machine.

Phishie
05-31-2008, 08:06 PM
The reason I install AVG 8 on systems is not because their machine is new, but because I know AVG 7.5 is going to nag them to upgrade to 8.0 if I install it on their machine. I am still running 7.5 on my computer and I don't see any problems with it.

So maybe we should put it this way. People who aren't noobs who don't need 8.0 new junk and want solid performance and won't freak out when a window pops up asking them to upgrade to NEW 8.0!!! should use AVG 7.5. Other people can use 8.0.

gunslinger
06-01-2008, 12:19 AM
Or we can spend just a little and get the king of AV programs Kaspersky.

Devildog™
06-05-2008, 12:15 AM
I Know that it has several new components to it, and it Still misses Viruses, I uninstalled the New AVG, and installed Avast, it found the Nasties that AVG Let slip Right On By Me... So No thanks to the AVG Freebie, Not good enough to accept...

Devildog™

TF_kj
12-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Have been testing Threatfire also, and I really like it. One of the nicest apps in awhile. But, don't use it with AVG 8 it will bog.
Just my opinion.

Hey Checkmate-

Thanks for checking out ThreatFire. Please let us know what you think of it over on the ThreatFire forum at www(dot)pctools(dot)com/forum/. We really do take customer comments from individuals evaluating the product for their needs seriously, and we're always trying to improve it.

You might like our blog too--
blog(dot)threatfire(dot)com

Thanks again,
Kurt

solas
12-14-2008, 11:40 PM
anti-virus software worth using is also worth paying for, in my opinion.

techytype
12-15-2008, 02:47 AM
i've long ditched avg for use on friends and families machines. i setup avg, avast, and antivir on a machine and downloaded plenty of known malicious stuff, a sort of test bed. antivir came out on top here. i don't feel that an antivirus is essential for someone who knows their way around a pc, but i'll continue to install antivir on less informed user's machines which don't already have a good antivirus.

Jory
12-15-2008, 03:05 AM
how cool would it be to have a google antivirus product, I think google needs to get us one. lol

It would be pretty awesome if they made it an online scanner and licensed detection engines from all the major anti-malware companies. I'm not going to hold my breathe though.

Clatu
01-27-2009, 12:07 AM
I've been lucky. First off I dumped McAfee S Suite -- it took about five minutes to clear on startup and didn't detect that crazy free-virus check Virus and I paid 60.00US a year for it.
To get rid of it and it did it fast, I downloaded SuperAntiSpyware. Then A-Squared, and finally AVG (which I find to be good stuff).
Anyway, I run AVG all the time on both systems and once or twice a month I update then run A-Squared and SuperAntiVirus and they all pick-up something the others didn't re low-med risk Cookies.

MSgherzi
01-27-2009, 07:31 AM
I'm still using an recommending AVG to my customers. I have noticed recently that it is beginning to slow things down. I love AVGs ability to catch almost anything, though. I've been using AVG for almost 5+ years and I love it. But I'm starting to look in other directions. I'm really not sure yet but this is definitely something I should look into for not only myself, but my customers as well who don't have the fastest of computers.

gunslinger
01-27-2009, 12:44 PM
I no longer recommend AVG to my customers. The new version slows systems down way too much. But, I have noticed most people are getting used to bloated slow Vista systems anyway so maybe they can't tell any difference.

I used AVG on all my systems until I found Kaspersky. Its not free but its the best on the market IMO. No system slow down at all and catches everything. I love the way it actually asks you what to do with a file it thinks is infected instead of just deleting half the tools off my flash drive like AVG and Norton.

Romaniac
01-27-2009, 06:48 PM
Avira AntiVir is what I have been using.

http://www.avira.com/en/download/index.html

Pretty low resource usage.
Maybe scan is slow or not, not sure how to gauge that but I really don't care for scan speed - not a priority by any means.

It has caught a couple of bad guys though, and it's been doing a good job.

I did research before deciding upon it. I found what seemed like a legit source. There were side by side tests and tables; it came in 1st usually, or maybe 2nd a few times...but if it did in 2nd, it was beaten by paid antivirus.

I remember for me (and free) it was Avast vs. Avira. Almost went with Avast, until I found some more research, and went with Avira.

lawson_jl
01-27-2009, 11:59 PM
Bloatware hands down. It does perfom better if you turn of the link scanner but it's still bloated and slow like most old AV programs are.

usacvlr
01-28-2009, 05:29 PM
avg is garbage at t his point. It's almost as bad as any of the norton or mccraply products. Just a big fat pig eating up clock cycles and memory.

abe
01-28-2009, 05:52 PM
hi all,
don't get me wrong, I belive what your saying about avg I just wanna see it with my own eyes, I have a p4 2.8 ghz 1gb ram with xp, a dual core 2gb ram with dual vista/win7, an asus eeepc 900a e.g ghz atom and 1gb ram, a 1.3ghz celeron 512ram, all running avg 8 and I don't see any slowness, it detects bad stuff, I scan at night when not in use and it does its job well
so how can I see how many cycles of the cpu its using (it dosnt take a lot of ram at all)

usacvlr
01-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Do you have the resident portion turned off? That's the real hog.

abe
01-29-2009, 06:06 PM
no its on thats what i need it for, i scan once a week at nightso i dont really know how slow it is in scanning.