PDA

View Full Version : Geek squad cutting 50% of workforce

Galdorf
01-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Looks like they are have problems with making profit so they are cutting jobs in the US by 50%,they siad they could apply for other positions in the store.

onetech4all
01-13-2011, 08:12 PM
Where did you read about this?

ATTech
01-13-2011, 08:14 PM
An article link would be nice. I found a few articles about them closing down have of their service centers; I don't know if that equates to 50% of it's workforce and how stores come into that calculation.

NeutronTech
01-13-2011, 08:19 PM
You mean GeekSquad is cutting half it's sales force. Since that's all they are allowed to do anyways. I don't see how they can lose money with the amount of people that go there and get soaked $100-$300 to be told they need to buy a new computer...... :rolleyes:

rtorres15
01-13-2011, 08:20 PM
http://www.twice.com/article/462221-Best_Buy_Consolidating_Geek_Squad_Service_Centers_ Report.php

JosephLeo
01-13-2011, 09:22 PM
Don't they usually always do this after the holidays? They hire more people than they need during the holiday season and fire them after the initial "new broken toy" clients quiet down a little.

iisjman07
01-13-2011, 09:38 PM
I'm sure at the moment Geek Squad are developing robots to take in your machine, open the cd tray, insert their MRI, press next, and then return the computer to the client. That way they could ditch their entire force

JosephLeo
01-13-2011, 09:42 PM
I'm sure at the moment Geek Squad are developing robots to take in your machine, open the cd tray, insert their MRI, press next, and then return the computer to the client. That way they could ditch their entire force

Now now, let's not get hasty. Who's going to tell you that your motherboard is "fried" after you go for a virus removal. You can't automate cruddy service.

phaZed
01-13-2011, 10:25 PM
Don't they usually always do this after the holidays? They hire more people than they need during the holiday season and fire them after the initial "new broken toy" clients quiet down a little.

Not with Geek Squad, just on-the-floor employees and cashiers.

BostonGeek1
01-14-2011, 12:13 AM
it makes sense if 35-40% of the calls are for viruses, and they can use microsoft groove to get a indian guy to log in remotely and work on 10 computers/day, why pay 2-3 retards to do the same thing.........

red12049
01-14-2011, 12:28 AM
it makes sense if 35-40% of the calls are for viruses, and they can use microsoft groove to get a indian guy to log in remotely and work on 10 computers/day, why pay 2-3 retards to do the same thing.........

Did anyone notice that the repair center in the story was for TV's and major appliances? Not a word about computers.

Rick

MrUnknown
01-14-2011, 01:13 AM

Hey now, it is called Agent Johnny Utah

bigcuedaddy
01-14-2011, 11:53 AM
I saw two of them in their geek-mobiles in the neighborhood I was in yesterday. Anytime I see those jokers I just shake my head and remember that the $300 of wasted cash is still helping to support the local economy.

Shawn5800
01-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Eh, maybe Geek Squad is a joke, But they are still trying to make a living just like everyone else. Not everyone is experienced enough to open there own business. There are thousands of people who are in line for jobs like that(including myself sadly) that cant find employment anywhere and want to get there foot in the door of the computer world.

Hell i just went down to my local computer shop and asked for a job and they were not hiring, so i asked if i could volunteer for experience and they said "absolutely." I know they are going to get alot of free labor out of me but thats how bad this economy is...I have to volunteer my time to gain some experience. It really sucks.

And just another thing to note, im sure there are alot of Geek Squad employees that truely love what they do and want to succeed in the business but im sure Geek Squad has some biased service manual that says "sell before repair"

Just my .02

anonymous Mac Tech
01-14-2011, 09:22 PM
Eh, maybe Geek Squad is a joke, But they are still trying to make a living just like everyone else. Not everyone is experienced enough to open there own business. There are thousands of people who are in line for jobs like that(including myself sadly) that cant find employment anywhere and want to get there foot in the door of the computer world.

Hell i just went down to my local computer shop and asked for a job and they were not hiring, so i asked if i could volunteer for experience and they said "absolutely." I know they are going to get alot of free labor out of me but thats how bad this economy is...I have to volunteer my time to gain some experience. It really sucks.

I guess you've never been to college? Several of us college grads had to take unpaid internships just to gain some experience in any given field. The actual PAID internships were very scarce, usually temporary, and didn't pay squat. This is nothing new and you are far from the only one. At least you aren't up to your eyeballs in student loan debt having to work for free to gain experience, so it could be worse.

Shawn5800
01-14-2011, 10:56 PM
I guess you've never been to college? Several of us college grads had to take unpaid internships just to gain some experience in any given field. The actual PAID internships were very scarce, usually temporary, and didn't pay squat. This is nothing new and you are far from the only one. At least you aren't up to your eyeballs in student loan debt having to work for free to gain experience, so it could be worse.

No, I decided not to go to college for that exact reason. I did not want to be in loan debt that was out of this world. I could barely afford classes for computer technology, let alone college for it. Im not crying wolf, im just stating what im doing. Im sure i could have done better if i went to college, and im young still . I could probably still go, but i dont have the money for it and debt is not something to play around with.