PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Windows Installation Errors?

PC ZONE
04-25-2008, 02:53 AM
A computer repair shop in my area puts on his invoices that after a "Fresh" install of windows he then corrects the windows installation errors as windows creates these errors on install.

What is he on about?

I know it usually needs a defrag from copying the installation over and a msconfig once the drivers and other programs are installed but i'd hardly clasify this as a windows installation error, doe's anybody here have any sugestions as to what issues he's correcting or is he just full of it.

MHCG
04-25-2008, 03:31 AM
Maybe he means add drivers. Sometimes as a technician you have to choose between giving detailed explanations because users are very ignorant or just being vague so users don't ask you to elaborate because you know they won't understand what you mean anyways.

PC ZONE
04-25-2008, 06:19 AM
Sorry he puts on the invoice "Fix windows installation errors"

He is a little dodgy though! i.e telling an insurance company that the clients computer was damaged beyond repair and that they had lost all of their data. The insurance company asked the client to bring it to us for a second opinion, we removed a faulty modem and what do you know the computer booted straight into windows took us all of 10mins to diagnose this and we spent more time explaining to the insurance company and the client that the computer was fixed and all data intact!

Was mainly asking because i'm always looking to improve my skill set and after seeing his statement i still have not been able to come up with a valid answer

Nathan H
04-25-2008, 09:03 AM
Have you asked him?

If you don't want to appear to be too aggressive give him a call, inform him you have someone in your shop who has come for a second opinion as he/she feels like they have been ripped off,

Then explain that in order for him/her to go away happily and not have a negative impression of anyone, you think if you could tell her exactly what he means but in a way that she can more easily understand and accept that this would be a good solution.

If I received that call from you I'd be glad as my thoughts were you were trying to stop an unhappy customer bad mouthing me and making me look good at the same time.

However if he refuses or his explanation is bollocks well......... speaks for it's doesn't it!

PC ZONE
04-25-2008, 08:48 PM
Hmmm a bit of open/honest communication haven't even thought about it

and I don't think he will tell me as the bill i saw was in dispute for the following reason

Client A bought a "Brand New Computer" off said computer shop
3 months down the track computer would not boot, so client A took computer back to said computer shop
Said computer shop told client A that it was caused by a power surge and that they had to recover his data and reload windows
In the data that was recovered was the .PST file which actually happened to contain e-mails from before 3 months bfore the client even bought the computer and the e-mails belonged to some one else. This to me indicated that they either had sold the client a computer with at least a second hand hard drive in it or they stuffed up and recovered/imported someone else's data on to the client A computer. This is also where i first saw the "Fix Windows Installation Errors" and i have also seen it on a quote for a new computer since.

Client A went back to said computer shop who told him to pay up or else they would be taken to court the owner of said computer shop is an ex bank manager (just to show personality)

Other notes on this = No Hardware was replaced/invoiced for or mentioned

bishop
04-27-2008, 01:10 AM
Does sound a little dodgy.

I had a call once where a local techie (so called) fixed a woman’s PC and it was never right since. So she called me. Looked at the PC, a Dell about a year old with Win ME 128Mb 3GHz P4 so on. Compared the PC to her original invoice from Dell which said she had 1GB RAM WinXP and a 7 series GPU not the crappy 32 Mb MX400 or something similar that I found in it.

Can you believe this fella actually stole her hardware and then stole her XP licence as well. Then he had the cheek to say that I didn't have a clue what I was talking about and suggested I take the A+ exam. When I told him I have a degree in comp science, MCSE and so on and will testify in court for Ms. X he hung up the phone.

Went to court and learned he did a 6 month course in web design, and a local authority actually funded him opening his own pc repair shop.

She won her case and he had to pay up but this idiot is still in operation.

Nathan H
04-27-2008, 12:58 PM
Sounds like a right Coboy.

On a side note; I know if we mentioned people we thought were Cowboys or complete mongs who operate within the IT relm, we could be liable for defermation of character, or slander lawsuits.

But I just wondered, Which companies send you business
(If you know what I mean?)

ComputerLife
04-27-2008, 02:28 PM
Does sound a little dodgy.

I had a call once where a local techie (so called) fixed a woman’s PC and it was never right since. So she called me. Looked at the PC, a Dell about a year old with Win ME 128Mb 3GHz P4 so on. Compared the PC to her original invoice from Dell which said she had 1GB RAM WinXP and a 7 series GPU not the crappy 32 Mb MX400 or something similar that I found in it.

Can you believe this fella actually stole her hardware and then stole her XP licence as well. Then he had the cheek to say that I didn't have a clue what I was talking about and suggested I take the A+ exam. When I told him I have a degree in comp science, MCSE and so on and will testify in court for Ms. X he hung up the phone.

Went to court and learned he did a 6 month course in web design, and a local authority actually funded him opening his own pc repair shop.

She won her case and he had to pay up but this idiot is still in operation.

Thats crazy. Two of the reasons I started a computer repair company.

#1 I'm tired of places ripping customers off giving us computer people a bad name.
#2 I'm very tired of anyone knowing a little thing about a computer thinking they can fix anything. I've been doing this stuff for 11 years. No your not a professional just because you went to a couple classes or got your mcse. It takes experience and thats something a program or book can't replicate.

</rant>

bishop
04-27-2008, 06:21 PM
Thats crazy. Two of the reasons I started a computer repair company.

#1 I'm tired of places ripping customers off giving us computer people a bad name.
#2 I'm very tired of anyone knowing a little thing about a computer thinking they can fix anything. I've been doing this stuff for 11 years. No your not a professional just because you went to a couple classes or got your mcse. It takes experience and thats something a program or book can't replicate.

</rant>

Totally agree. I've over 10 years experience, 4 working for myself and I'd never claim to know everything. I think within any industry, experience is key. I still have have to rely on good old google every now and then!

Bumper Bender
05-03-2008, 12:11 AM
"Google is your friend" but only if you actually have some clue as to what you are doing, i have seen some really dangerous inexperienced advice and i've also used google for a lot more great advice as above i do not profess to no everything either and when bringing on new tech's i advise them that they will also not know everything but they will know enough to make good judgement on other peoples advise.

Back on topic

What do members on here do after an install of windows on all of their clients computers apart from the Drivers/Msconfig/Windows updates to "Improve Windows Performance" ?

BTW Great site; have bought the computer business kit and even though i've already created a lot of the forms already i've still been able to take good value out of it. I'm also amazed at the authors way of thinking it's very much along the same lines of what my business is based on except that the author has documented it very well