PDA

View Full Version : New Website for you guys to review

MrMille
04-24-2008, 10:20 AM
Hi guys

if you had a minute, could you take a few minutes to look at a website I put together. It's early days yet, and there is no data to speak of.

I won't say anything about it, so just give me a brain dump of your first impressions.

Best regards,
MrMille

[EDIT] Linkage: http://www.newsatnav.com

cmonova
04-24-2008, 10:52 AM
I am assuming we are talking about his site:
http://www.dublinpcservices.ie

If so here you go.

In IE the page is a bit wide....have to scroll right just a bit to see that part of the page. I would probably get rid of the box for Slashdot....or put a link to it.

Very quick loading
Well organized and easy to follow
For being grayscale the pics are pretty sharp
contact.php link does not work
news.php link does not work

Your links at the bottom for morquefile and mozilla etc when you click on them it takes the person off your site and to those. You should have them open in a new window.

You need to put another page for a "sitemap".

Need to change your image tags to something instead of "grayscale image of the bottom of a cpu chip". That will not help you in search engines. Seeing that you have quite a few pics I would change them all.

Overall....I like it alot especially the speed of it. Very nice.

MrMille
04-24-2008, 10:56 AM
http://www.newsatnav.com
which is very much in beta, so not nearly as polished as my work site.
But I really do appreciate you taking the time to review my site. I'll update it with your comments asap.

Nathan H
04-24-2008, 11:33 AM
I agree fast loading.
great so far.

I noted there was no conformation of a message sent from you contact us form, perhaps the inclusion of one would eliminate any doubt as to wheather the message has been sent or not.

Personally I feel the Tick boxes on your home page are a little to close to the text which is right justified. IMO it looks a little clutted, may be centering the tick boxes would over come this.

Hope this helps.

P.S. you may want to delete the message i sent you from your contact us page.....

cmonova
04-24-2008, 11:35 AM
SORRY about that......
Ok on the http://www.newsatnav.com site:

Again, loads quick but not even sure I understand what it is for.. ;)
I would do away with the ads on the left hand side. If anything put a little something about the site along with some key words in "bold" to make it stand out better.

More than likely you won't make any money with those ads anyway and can help your site more in optimization with content instead.

Still need image tags.
Needs meta tags in pages
Throw a copyright at the bottom along with your info i.e. your business name

I tried to do some searches but got an error each time. I'm assuming you are still working on that.

MrMille
04-24-2008, 01:53 PM
Hi dude,

when you got that error, what did you search for?

I've added a few more devices, perhaps that'll solve the problem.

Did you register for the newsletter as j***_j*****@gmail.com ?
tried to send an email to that addy, but it counced.

Best regards,
MrMille

cmonova
04-24-2008, 01:58 PM
no i did not do the newsletter

I did a search the first time and checked the following:
voice address
UK maps
mapping updated

second time I only did
North american maps

both times i got a box (from windows) saying
IE cannot open site www.newsatnav.com/index.php
operation aborted

MrMille
04-24-2008, 02:15 PM
I did a search the first time and checked the following:
voice address
UK maps
mapping updated

second time I only did
North american maps

both times i got a box (from windows) saying
IE cannot open site www.newsatnav.com/index.php
operation aborted

The search should work now.
None of the devices on the site have north american maps.
What's the best satnav for north american maps? My site doesn't have a satnav that does American mapping, sorry. I will add one asap.

Are you using IE7?

Thanks for the help!

Jura
04-26-2008, 02:59 PM
Needs more Web 2.0

As someone not interested in the site's subject, I have no idea what you're site is about at first sight.

MrMille
04-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Any better now? what should I say?

rsavoia
05-23-2008, 05:38 PM
I agree regarding the Google ads. While I don't have a problem with ads, the one block is too large. If you need a lot of ads, consider breaking them up into different areas on the page. This will do three things. First, it will free up more space on the left sidebar for actual content, it will avoid the "in your face" ad syndrome and there will be a greater chance of someone clicking on ads or paid links because they will be mingled with the content as opposed to segregated from it.

nonchalant
05-25-2008, 07:30 AM
Looks like you have a way to go yet but the basic info so far seems all good..

(p.s. the frame is all out of alignment atm but im sure you known that?)

MrMille
05-25-2008, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the time and comment guys.

I removed the Google advert.

Not sure I now what you mean when you say out of alignment.

If you guys were going to change the text, what would you say?

podnutz
05-27-2008, 05:02 AM
My two cents.

Good points: I like the simplicity of the site. I love how the site is intuitive and you know exactly what to do without unneeded navigation.

I'm using Firefox on a Mac and the font is a little too small. Don't know if you are planning to sell through the site but there is nowhere to buy the items. Also, on home page, left hand column is empty and doesn't look quite right.

Overall, great job, looks like it is going to be a nice site.

focuz
05-27-2008, 05:02 AM
Looks like your tables and border images are staying the same length (I'm testing in IE). If you don't see it try viewing your page at different resolutions.

pmcross
10-06-2008, 06:06 PM
will someone take a look at my website and tell me what you think and waht I can add/improve

http://www.philscomputerrepair.com

Crgky127
10-07-2008, 03:42 AM
Nix the google ads for your competition. If you want to make money from your website, write articles mentioning items linked to a referral program like amazons.

abe
10-07-2008, 04:58 AM
Needs a little more width, and I think you should try some other idea for the search options the check boxes clutter it up.

just my 2 cents