PDA

View Full Version : A Computer Techs Job Interview

rai01
04-24-2008, 02:12 AM
Hi guys just want some insight on how a computer techs job interview is like. Honestly I just had my first interview as a Comp. repair tech. today. They gave 2 laptops. I believed when I started they would give me sufficient time to finish my work, But after only 30 mins had passed the person in charge of giving me the test told me my time was up. The Laptops were Dell Inspirion I believe. which I have no knowledge in disassembling. If you guys could share your comments on this and so that maybe my future interviews won't be as bad as this one. Thanks!

Blues
04-24-2008, 02:25 PM
Depending on the problem or the task they were asking of you 30 minutes is not much time. I have had only one and they grilled me about things I don't bother to remember like what TCP/IP stands for. I remembered like 20 minutes after the interview I think it is Tele-Communications Protocol/Internet Protocol. Basicly if they are too vague or ask too much book knowledge your doomed thats a tough interview for anyone to pass.

Nathan H
04-24-2008, 04:26 PM
I haven't been on receiving end of an IT interview for quite some years, but I have been the Interviewer on many an occasion recently.

I generally do a written questionnaire and a practically assignment, the practical consists of a laptop and a PC that I have created faults on,(such as incorrectly seating thew RAM or an IDE cable, even moving the jumpers on the HDD etc...etc..) they have 15mins to give a provisional diagnosis on, if they haven't give me it correctly, I ask what there next steps would be.

the written questionnaire, is part of the application, I have an additional sheet, which has a few questions form the A+ and N+ exams nothing in depth like I/O address ranges, but practical things such as wifi security settings. etc...,

I DO HAVE A TRICK I OCCASIONAL USE........

MY QUESTION PAPER STATES "READ EVERYTHING THROUGHLY BEFORE ANSWERING ANY QUESTIONS".

THE LAST LINE ON THE FINAL PAGE STATES "DO NOT WRITE ANYTHING ON THIS PAPER"

sleazy may be, but if they can't follow a simple instructions like that when its wrote down in front of them, how can I trust them to represent my business & livelihood in front of my customers when I'm not there.

After all I don't want someone who tries to look good by bringing in big paid bills, but only to find out that they done it by advising my customers that they need parts etc.. when they clearly don't.

DO NOT FALL IN TO THIS TRAP.

MHCG
04-24-2008, 05:17 PM
I DO HAVE A TRICK I OCCASIONAL USE........

MY QUESTION PAPER STATES "READ EVERYTHING THROUGHLY BEFORE ANSWERING ANY QUESTIONS".

THE LAST LINE ON THE FINAL PAGE STATES "DO NOT WRITE ANYTHING ON THIS PAPER"

sleazy may be, but if they can't follow a simple instructions like that when its wrote down in front of them, how can I trust them to represent my business & livelihood in front of my customers when I'm not there.

No offense, but how is that supposed to weed anyone out? It's a trick and people don't go into interviews expecting to be tricked. I would assume you meant read the question thoroughly before answering it. Any computer company would be lucky to have someone as self-motivated and technically competent as I am and I would almost certainly not catch that.

Blues
04-24-2008, 06:11 PM
Im with MHCG on that trick as it reads more as a cautionary statement on how to take the test. That cautionary statement we commonly see but not as a guide to read over the test before you begin. If you want it phrase it as such to please read over the entire test before you begin.

Nathan H
04-24-2008, 09:38 PM
So far it has caught everyone out.

When i point this out to people we usually have a good laugh and then they tend to relax and I can find out more about the real them,

Rather than their interview persona,

I find most people are nervous at interviews (myself included) and try to say what they think the person conducting the interview wants to hear rather that what they actually think.

After Pointing out this error my next question was the funnest PC repair they ever done.

Honestly, if I thought they would take me seriously I would conduct interviews in the pub over a pint.

This is usually when people are themselves the most.

rai01
04-25-2008, 12:41 AM
At least the interviews that Nathan gives were pretty much what I expected to have. The thing is that after the 30minutes was over, the interviewer didn't ask me what was my assumption of what was wrong and any possible solutions to the problem. He just took a look at the laptop computer and checked if it booted up properly. Well... it didn't and he said: "Ok let's go..." At first I thought we were going to go to another room to have a talk. Unfortunately for me he was already sending out the door. Next time I would want Nathan to be my interviewer. I believe too many people are nervous at these interviews and don't necessarily perform that well.