PDA

View Full Version : Best Server Options.

AdamsAPlus
01-05-2011, 08:15 PM
I have a customer that wants to set up a Server on their business network.

Here is the layout. There will be 8 computers (9 if you include a server) on this network and 7 employees. We will be upgrading all the computers to use Windows 7 Pro. The business is actually a retirement village that uses government funding. Right now they have the computers on WinXP with no passwords. They have Social Security Numbers, Bank Account Numbers, and other private numbers of their residents.

They are wanting me to set up a network with excellent Security. The workers sometimes uses other computers so they will need to be able to access their files from which ever computer they are on. Not all employees need access to the private information so they need to be set where only the approved users can access those files. They are wanting a server that has back up capabilities of all computers.

When we were originally talking about all this I was thinking SBS 2008. Later I found information on Foundations. Then I had a friend tell me that I may be able to do all I need to do with WHS. I have not tried out Foundations or WHS. I'm looking at testing out WHS this weekend to see what all it can do.

Which server would be the most cost effective that can do everything they need it to do?

Frank
01-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Since they don't need Exchange, SharePoint, or other SBS features, I'd probably go with Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation. You'll get all the features of AD security with the option of an upgrade path if needed in the future.

middleQ
01-05-2011, 09:42 PM
+1 for sbs 2008 foundation.

I think you would be best served sticking with SBS 2008. With SBS you can use roaming profiles, not so with WHS. From what I understand WHS is a beefed up storage server and cannot be a domain controller .
I a fan of Roaming profiles and with SBS 2008 Foundation using roaming profiles you will automatically back up peoples profiles every time they log out. The profile will follow them to whatever computer they log into.

AdamsAPlus
01-05-2011, 10:59 PM
Thank you for the information. I'm leaning towards Foundation but I just do not know enough about WHS and what it has to offer. Has anyone used Windows Home Server that could give some input?

jvcomputerservice
01-06-2011, 05:45 AM
If security is really important, my advice is to look for a business router ($600+, which will allow you to implement a secure environment.

ProTech-MN
01-06-2011, 03:03 PM
+1 for Foundation Server.

Also, as jvcomputerservice suggested, I'd also recommend a business class router.

-Randy

parker.casey
01-06-2011, 06:18 PM
I have a customer that wants to set up a Server on their business network.

Here is the layout. There will be 8 computers (9 if you include a server) on this network and 7 employees. We will be upgrading all the computers to use Windows 7 Pro. The business is actually a retirement village that uses government funding. Right now they have the computers on WinXP with no passwords. They have Social Security Numbers, Bank Account Numbers, and other private numbers of their residents.

They are wanting me to set up a network with excellent Security. The workers sometimes uses other computers so they will need to be able to access their files from which ever computer they are on. Not all employees need access to the private information so they need to be set where only the approved users can access those files. They are wanting a server that has back up capabilities of all computers.

When we were originally talking about all this I was thinking SBS 2008. Later I found information on Foundations. Then I had a friend tell me that I may be able to do all I need to do with WHS. I have not tried out Foundations or WHS. I'm looking at testing out WHS this weekend to see what all it can do.

Which server would be the most cost effective that can do everything they need it to do?
I'd go with Ubuntu Server, and also use it as the router itself.

AdamsAPlus
01-06-2011, 06:40 PM
If security is really important, my advice is to look for a business router ($600+, which will allow you to implement a secure environment.

Thanks, I didn't even think about the router yet.

Chrisb41
02-02-2011, 11:12 AM
I have tested WHS before and there is a way to make it a domain controller if need be (It does have dcpromo.exe) but i would not recommend it for this situation.

TLE
02-02-2011, 11:23 AM
I have WHS machine which I use at home. The issue here would be that there would be very little room to extend. WHS allows a maximum of 10PC's so they could very quickly find themselves outgrowing the solution which wouldn't look very good on you. I seem to remember that SBS 2011 essentials is being released somtime in the near future. However if you need somthing now, 2008 R2 Foundation would be the way to go.

colonydata
02-02-2011, 03:44 PM

i would not do that. i would not want my main file and auth server to also be the firewall/router for my network.

MobileTechie
02-02-2011, 07:15 PM

So specifically, what functions would a business router provide in this situation that would make their set up more secure?

Tony_Scarpelli
06-20-2011, 08:54 AM
IMO-Reading between the lines and having worked with nursing homes and public funded non profs entities I am going to go the cheap route on this one.

I would go the $92 Windows Home server version 1 on a decent duel core workstation with large drives and raid 1 or raid 10. Promote it to DC, it will do the backups and everything you need. If you are at 8 clients I doubt you will see 10 before they want a new server anyway. Besides you will save them enough money to pay for a new upgrade server to sit in the closet until they need it.

Take one of those old workstations and run IPCOP (free linux turns pc into a hardware router).

JAY
06-20-2011, 01:55 PM
Have you looked at SME server?

Very easy set up, Secure, VPN, Raid. FREE!

scoop818
06-20-2011, 03:52 PM
I would reccomend SBS 2011 Essentials. 25 user max, Domain Controller, PC backups. It's WHS without the media portion and can act as a domain controller. As others have reccomended take a old pc and turn it into a router/firewall box, personally I prefer Untangle for that part.

krtechsolutions
07-08-2011, 01:58 PM
Go with windows 2008 esst. And a sonicwall or untangle would work but I like sonicwalls better they have a better VPN client and it can be had in a small platform

Thanks
Rich

onkyo
07-10-2011, 06:18 PM
"The business is actually a retirement village that uses government funding. Right now they have the computers on WinXP with no passwords. They have Social Security Numbers, Bank Account Numbers, and other private numbers of their residents"

Here is a link that you should read, and get an understanding before recommending anything to them.

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/special/healthit/index.html

I am a little concerned, windows home server? really?

Tony_Scarpelli
07-11-2011, 06:34 PM
"The business is actually a retirement village that uses government funding. Right now they have the computers on WinXP with no passwords. They have Social Security Numbers, Bank Account Numbers, and other private numbers of their residents"

Here is a link that you should read, and get an understanding before recommending anything to them.

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/special/healthit/index.html

I am a little concerned, windows home server? really?

Home Windows Server is built on the Windows Server 2003 engine and can handle the security.

ATTech
07-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Thread is over 6 months old...

Tony_Scarpelli
07-11-2011, 06:54 PM
You are right but do you think it possible that someone might do a search on best server options and still might benefit by the information?

ATTech
07-11-2011, 08:32 PM
You are right but do you think it possible that someone might do a search on best server options and still might benefit by the information?

They're going to have the same needs as the OP? The best "server option" is entirely dependent on the situation.

BOSS
07-22-2011, 02:56 AM

This is the solution I would go with also; but use a separate server for the file server, DC, and Router. I may use the file server as a BDC though.

Trenatos
07-24-2011, 04:21 AM
I'd suggest Zentyal install on a cheap Systemax server.

Does everything you seem to need, brand new hardware can be bought for around $1,000 - $1,500 or split up a few different installs between slight legacy hardware for maybe $500 while keeping good performance on the network.