PDA

View Full Version : Computer Garage Sale

ComputerLife
04-22-2008, 05:03 PM
I have a couple companies giving me about 25 computers plus some old laptops. Some of them are only 400 mhz some are good machines in the 1.8 ghz range. We and my brother who both own the business want to have a garage sale. I say that we should advertise our company at it and try to draw in customers. He says that if we do that then it might cause problems even if we put "All sales are final" Then if something breaks on the computer someone buys then it may give us a bad name or they might expect us to fix it for free. I understand that, but Free advertising is Just that.. Free

What would you do?

Thanks

MHCG
04-22-2008, 05:10 PM
Good question. I would check out the computers to see if they had any issues. If not I would reload the OEM OS and attach my business card to the receipts. If the computers are in good condition I would probably offer a 30 day warranty for labor, but not parts. If they were in poor condition, I'd let them know the computer is as-is with no warranty.

ComputerLife
04-22-2008, 05:29 PM
We are going to reload the OS on them and swap parts to make sure they run good before selling them. I like your idea, warrenty the labor for 30 days but not parts. Also, not warranty anything extra they want installed or software problems, just hardware problems.

Simmy
04-22-2008, 06:08 PM
Just explicitly state on any invoice, that the items are sold as seen and no warranty is included. As MHCG I would be tempted to include a 30day labour warranty, to help you sell the computers. If you stress test them all, then you'll have nothing to worry about.

Of course if you did include a 1 years parts warranty, you could make more money on each computer. It's unlikely that many of them will have hardware problems.

Holzster
04-28-2008, 02:39 AM
the slower machines install a BSD/Linux firewall in them & resell them - way easy to install & they will be packed full of features

Holzster

Jory
04-28-2008, 08:39 PM
Personally I'd sell off anything that could reliably run XP with a 30 day hardware warranty. Everything else I'd install a lightweight version of linux and find places to donate them to. After school programs, children's clubs, churches, animal shelters, friends, family, neighbors, etc. Any place that already has broadband, or wants it, and could use more computers for internet access, etc.

A 400mhz machine doesn't have much monetary value, but it could mean a lot to the right person/place.