PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive password locked

kthom13
04-22-2008, 04:24 PM
I had a student put a password on a hard drive while the teacher was out. How do I remove it without knowing the password?

MHCG
04-22-2008, 04:53 PM
You can clear the password using a password clearing CD.

I have a couple of CDs, but don't really remember the names of them. I'm pretty sure Hiren's CD has one. If not I think EBCD has one. http://ebcd.pcministry.com/

Edit: Hiren's contains bootleg software apparently. There are plenty of recovery utilities that aren't pirated. I'd use those.

Simmy
04-22-2008, 05:53 PM
Do you mean they put a password on the hard drive from within the BIOS? If so, then it's pretty difficult to remove it. Infact I would be prepared to loose the data if you can't find out the password. I would interrogate the student tbh!

What laptop is it? What model is the hard drive? Have you tried running the hard drive from another computer?

It could either be the Motherboard or BIOS locking the device or it could built into the hard drive itself. If it's the latter, the hard drive firmware forbids any kind of data access until the password has been entered - the password is stored on the HDD unit itself, so you will be asked for the password even when trying to access the hard drive from another computer. It is impossible to even format the hard drive.

If you mean the student has set a password on the windows account, then do as MHCG suggests above. UBCD is the one I use.

gunslinger
04-22-2008, 06:22 PM
First off you did not say if it was a laptop or desktop system. If its a desktop system and only windows is passworded try booting into safe mode and log on an the default admin account. From there you can remove the password from the user account. If it does not have an admin accound try Hiren's boot CD. Bootleg software or not it just plain works and can save the day. If the BIOS has a password and its a desktop system just pull the CMOS battery to reset it.

The Goatboy
04-22-2008, 08:04 PM
Agree with gunslinger; if you don't want to use Hiren's boot CD, then look into UBCD4win. Again, this CD will only help if you don't know the local admin password; it will allow you to reset the password. Also as gunslinger said, if it's a BIOS password pull the CMOS battery for say 5 minutes, put it back and start the PC. Good luck.

JohnG
04-24-2008, 04:46 AM
Try ATAPWD, included in Ultimate Boot CD.

rahimhd
08-03-2010, 10:19 AM
If the password was ATA password, it will be a hard work in order to unlock it without using professional software and even the pro can't unlock all models/make.