PDA

View Full Version : New Rule: No commenting comments?

JosephLeo
01-04-2011, 05:29 PM
It seems more and more often topics are becoming derailed due to people commenting on others comments and in return, the entire conversations begins to sound like a bunch of monkeys.

For example, lets say the topic is "Bananas"

Original Post:
Hey, I love bananas so much guys, but I have a problem with mine. When I grab the top part it doesn't open. Any advice on how to get to the delicious center without smashing it?

Comment 1:
Well, you can probably try grubing it harder.

Comment 2:

Well, you can probably try grubing it harder.

You spelled grabbing wrong. I think maybe you don't know what you're talking about.

NeutronTech
01-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Really? This would eliminate discussions period. People often add valuable information to a thread that needs to be elaborated upon. This is probably the worst idea, and probably the second grossest censorship attempt I've seen on this forum.

JosephLeo
01-04-2011, 06:46 PM
Maybe I should reword and expand it then. "No criticizing a comment without giving input regarding the current topic".

Also, it may be censorship, but without that this forum (and just about any other) would be a complete nuisance of unprofessional, or just pointless conversations. Also, might I ask what the first grossest is?

MobileTechie
01-04-2011, 07:38 PM
It seems more and more often topics are becoming derailed due to people commenting on others comments and in return, the entire conversations begins to sound like a bunch of monkeys.

For example, lets say the topic is "Bananas"

Should be let's not lets so I can't take your idea seriously.

To be honest I don't think a rule like that is practical or enforceable without an army of moderators. I think it would just cause more problems with people commenting about illegal commenting. I also don't think there is a particular problem with it at this forum. It's just how people tend to discuss things offline and online.

Also the collective noun for monkeys is team.

MrUnknown
01-04-2011, 07:44 PM
Also the collective noun for monkeys is team.

Really? I have heard them called Troops.

A group of Kangaroo's is a mob, I like that one.

MobileTechie
01-04-2011, 07:56 PM

Not when they're playing football.

MrUnknown
01-04-2011, 07:59 PM
It was a deliberate error so you could quote me :p

Clever!

Ok, I will contribute. I don't think that rule is anywhere remotely enforceable in any sense of the word. Only the epic threads turn into what you are describing. I think the vast majority if < 2 page threads work fine and aren't too far off track. Besides, this happens everywhere there are forums.

wimwauters
01-04-2011, 11:14 PM
I'm starting to warm to the more 'mob-justice' style of forums like youtube or http://serverfault.com/: threads and replies get voted up/down, and members actually earn public points for making useful contributions.

MrUnknown
01-04-2011, 11:22 PM
I'm starting to warm to the more 'mob-justice' style of forums like youtube or http://serverfault.com/: threads and replies get voted up/down, and members actually earn public points for making useful contributions.

have you actually read youtube comments? lol

Alan22
01-04-2011, 11:25 PM

And a group of sheep is a flock.....as in "let's get the flock out of here" :D

Edit: Ooops, looks like I commented on a comment, and am now commenting on my own comment. Ah, well, there's a word for that. It's called......tough :p

Don't censor me bro.

Xander
01-04-2011, 11:32 PM
have you actually read youtube comments? lol
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/youtube.png

JosephLeo
01-05-2011, 12:17 AM
I miss when YouTube comments had that kind of grammar.

Anyway, I guess I suggested a something that no one likes, so I guess I retract my suggestion.

NeutronTech
01-05-2011, 12:37 AM
Also, might I ask what the first grossest is?

Arbitrary deletion of posts.

iptech
01-05-2011, 12:40 AM
Arbitrary deletion of posts.I agree, this has become quite a serious problem on here of late.

dbdawn
01-05-2011, 01:02 AM
I agree, this has become quite a serious problem on here of late.

I agree...........

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 20 characters.

Styxbound
01-05-2011, 02:11 AM
At risk of being a hypocrite since I'm posting here, after a year I'm still wondering why people seem to have so much trouble just ignoring posts they don't like. Jeez, guys, what posts are worse than all this damn quibbling?

Robert
01-05-2011, 02:25 AM
I find it quite ironic that this thread is likely to end up more off-topic than any of the threads that this thread was started to comment on...

When I was younger we had a 6' red kangaroo that lived in the paddocks behind our house. He'd come up to our fence and get hand-fed.

16k_zx81
01-05-2011, 07:34 AM
When I was younger we had a 6' red kangaroo that lived in the paddocks behind our house. He'd come up to our fence and get hand-fed.

I like kangaroos.... we took the kids to a wildlife park and hand-fed some a few weekends ago. It was fun.

Speaking of feeding... Im a bit hungry, but don't feel like cooking tonight. Think I'll go to the local shop and grab a Burger :)

Lone99star
01-05-2011, 09:27 AM
I was quibbling with a kangaroo a couple of nights ago, he wanted to knock off a liqueur store, I said NO.
Then he started on PCDOS, obviously MSDOS is far superior but he would not hear it, he started this crazy talk about a new thing that the makers of dos were coming out with called windows and believe it or not, the crazy bas';rd said we would all be using a device called a mouse before long. I dropped him off at a local animal shelter and went to the local 7-11 to play me some Donkey Kong.

I just found out that Zebra Cakes aren't really made from Zebras and I hate to tell you IT guys the news about Ding Dongs.

Crap Technibble should have a sobriety test( I tried to spell breath alizer, ailzer,alyizer, ebenezer, fuuuc) spell check said take your ass to bed.

callthatgirl
01-09-2011, 07:37 PM
One thing I have noticed lately (and really just 2 times) is that someone doesn't like what they posted, so they ask the admins to delete entire posts and leaving one person talking to themselves.

If you don't like what you typed, edit it yourself out with explanation of sorts. Asking an admin to delete it is more work for them and leaves everyone wondering and hanging.

:confused:

Elemdee
01-10-2011, 12:43 AM
This thread is full of fun. I had a few laughs, especially the one about irony.
What isn't fun is spending my evening figuring out this geometry stuff my teen has to learn for midterms this week. :mad: Anyone like geometry? I asked the kangaroo but he just hopped away. :mad:

Hercomputers
01-10-2011, 01:14 AM
Laura!!!! Hey there! Your avatar is small, I can't see it, is that you in the picture?....lol

Elemdee
01-10-2011, 02:11 AM
Hey Renee, it's my World of Warcraft night elf. :D

Xander
01-10-2011, 02:13 AM
One thing I have noticed lately (and really just 2 times) is that someone doesn't like what they posted, so they ask the admins to delete entire posts and leaving one person talking to themselves.

If you don't like what you typed, edit it yourself out with explanation of sorts. Asking an admin to delete it is more work for them and leaves everyone wondering and hanging.

:confused:Especially ridiculous when you consider that, when you Edit, you can delete your own post entirely.

Elemdee
01-10-2011, 02:18 AM
Especially ridiculous when you consider that, when you Edit, you can delete your own post entirely.

That's what I was thinking too...

Bryce W
01-10-2011, 02:58 AM
Preventing the commenting of comments is completely unenforceable. Also, commenting comments leads to discussion which is a good thing. Its pretty much the whole point of a forum.
I hear what the OP is saying though, it can make threads go way off course. If a thread is going off course a mod or myself will clean it up.

If we deleted something, it was either because it broke the rules or it took the thread waaay off course. We have some quality threads that have lasted for many pages but then a small handful of people take it way off course, so I clean it up.
CTG, Ive recently deleted one of your posts to clean up a thread because all it said was "Grabs the popcorn". We have had this rule since day 1:

No Spamming. This Includes:
When posting a response to a thread, it must add to the overall discussion value of the thread.
Posts which do not adhere to the boundaries of the thread posted in.
I know you (CTG) are not calling that censorship, but thats the kind of thing I am cleaning up and then people complain that its censorship later on.

I dont usually need to delete things 95% of the time. Gunslinger had a "Why use AV?" thread going that reached 7 pages but then it diverted into a Mac vs PC war (yes, even though Gunslinger was part of it). Gunslinger asked me to get it back on track so I posted in there (http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?p=183634#post183634).

Think of it like parliament and I am the guy who yells "Order, Order". Both political parties can have their say, but there needs to be structure otherwise it just turns into yelling and squabbling. I step in to keep discussions on course.

callthatgirl
01-10-2011, 05:30 AM
Yes, I admit that the popcorn emote was pretty banal & inflamatory.

:p

16k_zx81
01-10-2011, 07:38 AM
I liked the popcorn. Got myself in trouble for LOLing about it though:rolleyes:

Personally I reckon the state of moderation here is pretty good now, especially since the 'Heavier Enforcement' thread was posted and some of the worse offenders chilled out. Technibble is definitely a nicer place to be since then IMO.