PDA

View Full Version : Why Do You Not Include Prices?

TechnoKelvin
04-22-2008, 05:12 AM
I've always wondered why some people never include prices on their sites for computer repair or web design. There are 3 kinds of people:

A) They include prices for everything on their site.
B) They include their prices for only select items.
C) They include no prices whatsoever and require you to email or call them to get prices.

I ask this because if opted with Option C I always go somewhere else, with any product or service. I don't want to give you my email or phone number because I don't want you contacting me over and over again about buying your product/service. I like the price up front and then when I make up my mind I may contact you.

Thoughts?

generalj
04-22-2008, 05:41 AM
Main reason I don't post prices yet is because I have not been doing business long enough in my area to know what to charge officially. I usually just charge an hourly rate and that it. except for like a pc setup or something.

I plan to get prices on my site so customers know. I think you are right about customers looking at it and wanting to see them and not have to call to find out.

Nathan H
04-22-2008, 10:23 AM
I generally don't put prices on my site, for a few reasons:

Less to update if prices change.
If I put a price for a part, and then can only get that part at a higher price, i'm obliged to sell / provide it at the advertised price.
Some people may be put off by price, but once im onsite, I sell my service and then they are usually OK with the price.
If you charge different price rates for diferent parts of town, E.G. the "Higher earning " part of town has a higher rate than the ares of town with "Higher Unempolyment", Makes good business Sence, but don't want to advertise it. I generally find the more financially well off people are willing to pay more for a good service and the people you arn't so financially lucky, are always after the cheapest possible price.This is based on the amount of business that i've had from people whose "Son, Daughter, Friend etc.." told them they could fix there pc and then didn't.

ComputerLife
04-22-2008, 01:32 PM
Whenever I'm looking to buy a service or an item and I don't see the price then I leave the site. My business partner agrees. However I know a very successful (for now) repair company in Chicago that has no prices on their site. I'm going to put prices on my site which I really hate to do since we do repair at such a low price it might turn people off. Something I do try to do is get the visitors on my site focused on contact or chatting with us. That is why I have inline chat right on my front page and contact forms on almost every other page.

acs
04-22-2008, 02:58 PM
When I started out I did not put any prices on my site but had a look around at other sites in the area to see what the going rate was. I have now been operating for a few years and have a feel for the types of jobs requested by domestic customers and the time taken to complete.
I have just revamped my site with an indication of price per hour ( 25 min 1 hour charge most of my work is within a 5 mile radius so no mileage charge) and for set tasks. These prices are higher than some of the other sites in the area but much lower than the big stores which is 30 miles away.
I will always remember the advice of a decorator friend of mine when asked why his prices were higher than others in the area he said " if I am too cheap I get too many customers and have to work all hours to make a living, If I charge a higher rate , i work less but earn more."
Even after I raised my prices this year i have been told by two new customers that I am to cheap.
These prices are for domestic customers , Small companies , and Government bodies etc seem to expect to be charged more for IT skills. In this case I can charge 250 per day or even in one case the equivalent of 400 per day for larger projects with out them battering an eyelid.