PDA

View Full Version : DIYer Support

Crgky127
04-19-2008, 05:31 AM
So a while ago I saw a Western Digital My Book Essential external hard drive and started putting tools on it. The other day it stopped working, and it turns out the internal drive was fine (and cable), it was just the little circuit board. I sent WD an email asking where I could buy a replacement board and they said

"[Those] are not available for sale. You will want to replace the entire unit."

Yea right! The drive is perfectly fine, works as an internal drive, and already has stuff on it. I just want a little bitty card. I'm not asking them to fix it under warranty. I'll install it myself, it's was in pieces anyway. I'm asking to pay for it, I'll even pay shipping if it works out to be like 30USD or less. That would probably be a bigger profit percent than on the entire drive for them anyway. I think it's a very reasonable request.

I ended up getting an Antec Veris MX-1 enclosure instead, it has eSATA (including a SATA male to eSATA female PCI card) and a fan which the My Book didn't, and I didn't use the WD backup software, so it worked out ok in the end.

Anyway, I am disappointed with Western Digital's support for DIYers (techs and also people that can swap out a part etc). What companies have you had similar experiences with? What companies have you had good experiences with?

(I'm talking hardware companies, as for software it would basically just mean open source vs closed source).

Jory
04-19-2008, 07:55 PM
It's cheaper/easier to buy the entire enclosure than to buy individual parts. There are hidden costs associated with being able to sell replacement parts which far outweigh the part itself, so you'd end up paying a premium for the part, and then have to put it in yourself. Seems pretty pointless when you can get an enclosure for under $30.

On a side note I'd avoid the "My Book" series of external drives. A good deal of reviews I found for them were not favorable.