PDA

View Full Version : AVG Free removing Google Chrome

DarDar
12-25-2010, 01:32 PM
My brother called me last night as chrome had been reported as a virus after avg updated itself.
I checked it out and avg had removed it entirely from the system as well as putting it in the virus vault!

He guessed it was avg related and he tried reinstalling chrome himself but it wouldn't allow him to as avg kept blocking him.

It looks like he was not the only one affected:
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid=62097e308e2fbc9a&hl=en&start=40

Solution? switch to MSE :D

othersteve
12-25-2010, 11:11 PM
avg = \
\
\
\
\
\
|
V
:D

iisjman07
12-25-2010, 11:14 PM
What's wrong with avg at the moment? A couple weeks back they release an update that BSOD's windows 7 64bit machines on startup, and now this? (in addition to detections rates dropping and it becoming bloated (the installer is close to 150mb and it still updates after that!))

ajc196
12-26-2010, 12:12 AM
AVG has gone the way of Norton and McAfee. Once awesome, now bloated junk. I've noticed that it has dropped off of the top download list from several mirrors out there, mainly FileHippo. If Avast doesn't step up their game with detection, they'll be the same. At least they're still light. In good conscience, however, I stopped reselling Avast because it simply cannot do the job anymore, even while teaching safe habits and preaching the importance of updates/WOT/Chrome/Firefox/etc, etc, etc. Plus, I got tired of answering the "what the hell did I buy this for" question.

I actually had someone roll through my shop that had the last AVG crash, he said "just wipe the whole da*$ thing and get that sh$# off". He was so livid about it, he didn't even want me to apply any fixes. Just nuke and pave and MSE... Clients like that make my day. :p

phaZed
12-26-2010, 02:40 AM
Youi said it ajc196.. Once awesome stuff now it is worthless.

Anyone interested should check out http://www.av-comparatives.org/, they have true, independent testing every three months of all the major AV software. You would be surprised at the leader board at every test period.. it constantly changes.

As I don't have any risky browsing habits and keep a well-maintained system, I simply pick what works consistently for me which HAS been Avast. It consistently scores first place for On-Demand scanning speed, which is most important for me. It has caught plenty of would be intruders in the past and monthly scans from other software reasonably confirms my system is clean (3 years so far).

I used Norton back in the day when it was good, Panda when it had it's day, and now Avast. When/if Avast does fall to pieces then I will start looking for something else like Avira (Almost always in the top 2-4 spot)

Sincerely,

wimwauters
12-27-2010, 04:26 PM
Since v8, AVG has gone from Bad to Worse!

Agreed, I have been an AVg reseller for years. Their version for Exchange email server is still very good though (it also does a good job of being anti-spam), but if you want to do serious email filtering, go *nix and then pass on the leftovers to exchange :cool:

ljtechservices
12-27-2010, 05:22 PM
I too have stopped recommending AVG.
Not sure if I'm going to become a reseller for anyone else.
With worse than average changes in quality It may not be worth it to resell any vendors AV software.
I think I'll just look at the current AV comparatives 3 star list and tell the client to choose one.

KM@ Dave
01-08-2011, 11:12 PM
To be honest I think AVG typically looks like Rougeware. A big fat memory eater also. I'd never recommend it to anyone.

gunslinger
01-09-2011, 02:09 AM
Nothing wrong with AVG...lol Good job it seems to me.

Honestly though I stopped recommending AVG after version 7 I think. I just don't like Chrome.

callthatgirl
01-09-2011, 04:43 AM
Good luck removing avg 2011! Nightmare on almost all machines. I think I will blog about it actually. I am so sick of it, it's gotten worse since AVG 8 in my opinion.

I put it on the top 3 worst AV programs out there

Norton
McAffee
AVG 2011

I removed another virus today that blazed right through it.

gunslinger
01-09-2011, 04:02 PM

Norton
McAffee
AVG 2011

Agreed. I had to download their removal tool to get rid of it. The machine was infested.

wimwauters
01-09-2011, 06:41 PM
Good luck removing avg 2011! Nightmare on almost all machines. I think I will blog about it actually. I am so sick of it, it's gotten worse since AVG 8 in my opinion.

Norton
McAffee
AVG 2011

Because of AVG's downhill journey since version 8, I've only installed version 2011 on a few machines, but I've been lucky with them so far :)

Do blog about it and is there any particular pattern to the problems with 2011, or is it just random trouble caused by dodgy updates :confused:

Yep, AVG has been targeted by the virus-writers for a while now, I guess that's the price you pay for getting big :(

Jory
01-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Nothing wrong with AVG...lol Good job it seems to me.

Honestly though I stopped recommending AVG after version 7 I think. I just don't like Chrome.

I like Chrome, but I don't use it as my main browser. It is my go to browser when running it from a flash drive though. It opens ridiculously faster than portable Firefox, and tends to use less resources even though it's quicker when browsing. It's worth trying out the portable version.

gunslinger
01-09-2011, 06:57 PM
I like Chrome, but I don't use it as my main browser. It is my go to browser when running it from a flash drive though. It opens ridiculously faster than portable Firefox, and tends to use less resources even though it's quicker when browsing. It's worth trying out the portable version.

I'll give the portable version a try.

vdub12
01-11-2011, 08:14 AM

Norton
McAffee
AVG 2011

The sad part is Norton AV, Not 360, is still one of the best and lightest AV programs out there. In regards to resources it even beats MCE. I could not believe it back when I tested it. I am sure its about equal to MCE2 with resources. Not sure why 360 is such a turd, or why its pushed by the box stores so much.

Chrome is fast but I don't like the UI.

meanderer
01-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Not sure why 360 is such a turd, or why its pushed by the box stores so much. .

av vendor pays manufacturers to put trial version of that garbage on every new pc they sell, which further offsets the cost of computer building, to stay competitive.

phaZed
01-12-2011, 02:08 PM
The sad part is Norton AV, Not 360, is still one of the best and lightest AV programs out there. In regards to resources it even beats MCE. I could not believe it back when I tested it. I am sure its about equal to MCE2 with resources. Not sure why 360 is such a turd, or why its pushed by the box stores so much.

For me, Symantec can keep their software... I will never recommend or use their software again.

Galdorf
01-12-2011, 02:17 PM
I have been spending most of my time trying to fix customer machines that had avg on it most had old versions that deleted their chrome browsers or caused problems with email, avg has been going down hill for some time.
I usually recommend for free av MSE v2.0 and for paid KIS 2011 which i picked up for 50% off so i bought a bunch.

phaZed
01-12-2011, 03:02 PM
I don't understand why techs recommend MSE at all... it doesn't perform well in testing. The only thing it IS good at is the "False-positive" test.. it almost never gets one, and it misses all sorts of viruses along the way. Detection rates are not good, and removal is generally not good either. www.av-comparatives.org

gunslinger
01-12-2011, 04:15 PM
This from the same company that brings you Windows defender.

ReArtemis
01-25-2011, 11:26 AM
I ditched AVG about 18 months ago and have installed/recommended Avira to my customers ever since.

joydivision
01-25-2011, 11:57 PM
I still recomend MSE but I am trying to get more people to use Kaspersky. The problem at the moment is I am not making any profit from it. I noticed the OEM version states "must be pre-installed" now if I install it for the client is the same as pre-installed? Interesting one.

I wonder how easy it would be to become a kaspersky reseller? I looked on the website but couldn't seem to work it out.

dipper
01-27-2011, 02:43 AM
If people are after a free AV I steer them to MSE. I like Avira but for home users I've found MSE much simpler for them to use.