PDA

View Full Version : Customers that are nosey, wants to know what you're doing with their computers

htsource
04-16-2008, 12:05 AM
Just last night I came across one customer who was very nosey about the type of work I do on their computer. I tried to explain exactly what I was doing so they got a lesson out of it too for the price of repairing their PC. Not a bad deal for them I guess ;)

I don't mind this type of work and it makes my visit so interactive, rather than just sitting in front of it. I was removing a few trojans so it really was a boring evening watching the scan to go through various stages. I'm sure they were pleased with my service, just hoping they will get more customers for me.

Do you usually reward your customer if they bring you more referrals? I'm thinking of doing that. I mean I have one customer introduces probably about 5 other clients that she knows. I'm also making them all happy so she's not afraid to tell anyone to recommend my service. But I'm thinking I should reward her with the next visit. What do you think?

I'm just sort of starting this as my side job after my regular work hours, and so far all my customers are 100% referrals. I really like this relationship as the people I haven't never seen, they probably know my work quality, and I know they probably can't be bad people, otherwise they wouldn't refer my service to them.

Holzster
04-17-2008, 02:45 AM
I find that the more the customer learns from what I do the more jobs I get from them so I teach if they want

focuz
04-17-2008, 03:18 AM
I tell them exactly what I'm doing. Why? well because it creates a trust bond between you and your clients and leads to referrals.

Second reason is because how many times will they have the same problem twice (unless its with spyware the never ending problem for some) so even if you tell them how to fix one issue you will get a call as soon as they have another issue. Example you can tell them yeah I'm running hijack this to check for threatening registry entries. I recommend you never try this without having me around as you can mess up the full system and also delete needed entries. This way your clients feel that your knowledge and experience is 100% worth your price and they trust you and learn something new.

nonchalant
04-17-2008, 03:54 AM
I make a judgement on the users level of knowledge and genuine interest. If I feel they are genuinely interested I stop what Im doing to take the time to explain it to them however I make it obvious I have stopped working on their PC and that they are paying for this tuition (I always make it clear up front that I charge by the hour).

If I feel the answer would be beyond their understanding I condense it and blind them with science (to the point I sometimes even wonder what the hell I just said). Tends to stop any further questions..