PDA

View Full Version : What "activities/procedures" do you do on most remote sessions?

tankman1989
12-21-2010, 08:48 PM
I am going to try to start doing remote admin and I am trying to make a list of things to do for every new customer and then a list that I can do either monthly, bi monthly, quarterly, semi annually or whatever.

I would love some help making a list of things to check, things to setup and things to install if needed.

Ok, so let's say that you just got contacted by a small business owner who wants to make sure his machine is running very smoothly and as fast as it can. He wants you to do as much as possible to automate everything but understands that sometimes he or you will have to do some specific procedures. His machine is 18 months old and in good shape. His old IT guy was a pizza tech, so there is no way of knowing what could be on there. It is now your job to come up with a list of all the thing that you want to do/check to give this guy a stable machine that is well protected.

So, I'm going to start on a list here and then post it. I think it would be great if everyone came up with their own and we could compare to see how closely we think. It is my hope that we can share the items on the list to help others in the thread. If there are 5 things on my list that no one else had, then use them yourself, and I hope it is ok to do the same for other members.

So, Make a list from start to finish, and order should be a factor as many things should be done before others. It just makes sense. So start making your lists. I hope we find some willing participants!

It might be a good idea to make a not of how often you think the procedure should be done (for each individual action, not the procedure as a whole).

callthatgirl
12-22-2010, 03:21 AM
I have a 22 pt checklist that covers most everything that I could think of to check on a machine, takes about an hour to do with the exception of updates that need an hour in itself to do (and we have a flat fee for the cleanings, so it doesn't matter how long the whole call takes). I am also quite sure that I am missing quite a bit of things that you all know that I don't know, it's a game sometimes to figure out the right equation! I think that if you have too much on the list too, it's very time consuming for the tech and almost all of my procedures are not automated. Other than the ninite installs I do (thank god for ninite!!! I pay for it and LOVE it).

Part of my list also includes doing a full AV evaluation and removal if it's a poor product and online back up installation/configurations, but the online is an upsell. It's a solid upsell and I get a lot of it.

To be honest, this type of list should not be in the public forum, but in the private forum. Since my list is proprietary to a service I sell, I will not post it, but will post a few things. Last thing I want is end users to get my list and start doing their own cleanings.

:p

BryanVest
12-22-2010, 03:32 AM
I have a 22 pt checklist that covers most everything that I could think of to check on a machine, takes about an hour to do with the exception of updates that need an hour in itself to do (and we have a flat fee for the cleanings, so it doesn't matter how long the whole call takes). I am also quite sure that I am missing quite a bit of things that you all know that I don't know, it's a game sometimes to figure out the right equation! I think that if you have too much on the list too, it's very time consuming for the tech and almost all of my procedures are not automated. Other than the ninite installs I do (thank god for ninite!!! I pay for it and LOVE it).

I dont really do computer repair as much just mostly SEO work, but how much do you charge for that list?

callthatgirl
12-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Bryan, I have no problem sharing the22 pt checklist privately at no charge, I just don't want it posted on a public forum.

Shoot me your email!

Lisa

BryanVest
12-22-2010, 04:44 PM
Bryan, I have no problem sharing the22 pt checklist privately at no charge, I just don't want it posted on a public forum.

Shoot me your email!

Lisa

I sent you my email in a PM I would be very grateful to see it. As I said I don't really do much computer repair besides my 9-5 job, but I always love to see things like this.

ClickCntrlCmmd
01-16-2011, 04:22 PM
I am in the same exact boat. Would you mind sharing the list with me as well?