PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with NAS experience?

MHCG
04-15-2008, 03:29 AM
I just got a job tonight to set up a network for a small business. It's engraving/vinyl graphics/embroidery type shop. I'm setting up a network and one of the things they want is a network storage system. They don't need a full blown server, just a large amount of backup space. They're going to need several TB of storage space and it should have redundant capability. Probably just mirrored disks. I've been debating what the best way to go about this is. I was thinking of building a RAID system, but looking around, prebuilt systems are cheap. For example the ZyXEL NSA-220 NAS Server.

You can't beat the price and it's got built in RAID 1.

Anyone have any experience with those types of devices? Anything I should think about? All of their computers are Windows XP Pro.

JohnG
04-15-2008, 12:15 PM
For the NAS you mentioned you have 2 bays for a max capacity of 1.5TB...since the type of business you are going to set it up for is most likely for digital media (graphics, logo samples, etc.) its a good choice, unless you are going to need more storage for application and data backup, a scalable server would then probably be best way to go in my opinion, or Perhaps the ZyXEL NSA-2400.

Blues
04-15-2008, 03:17 PM
You may want to look into a system using RAID5 if you need more storage as you get more from a RAID5 this will help keep cost down if you need 2-3TB

MrMille
04-15-2008, 03:31 PM
RAID 5 to get data and parity information across three or more drives

Buy something like this, but with 1TB drives instead
http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=344483

ootuoyetahi
05-12-2008, 01:06 AM
Just wondering what you ended up going with. I have a similar type job and was debating on whether to go with a NAS device myself.

MHCG
05-12-2008, 01:47 AM
A QNAP Ts-409 configured as a 3 drive RAID 5 for now. If they fill that up they throw another drive in there.

tauzin23
05-13-2008, 10:14 PM
I have setup a few businesses with the synology NAS boxes. They come in a variety of models that have from 1 to 4 disks. I get all of mine from Newegg.com

You can check them out here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2000240124+50011245&Configurator=&Subcategory=124&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc=

They work great especially with the new updated firmware I download from their site. I am now able to admin and check backups on their NAS's through my web browser for my clients! This is a very nice feature for me.:D