PDA

View Full Version : Is Price Comparison Legal?

TechnoKelvin
04-13-2008, 08:19 PM
In my Computer Services section is it legal to put my price, Firedogs price, and Geeksquads price, all side by side? To show how much value I have to offer? I've searched the forums but have not found such a topic.

cmonova
04-13-2008, 08:35 PM
You can put whatever you want. You may want to verify them every now and then just to make sure you do not have incorrect pricing. Or better yet just tell the customer to compare prices and that you will beat them.

04-13-2008, 08:39 PM
I'm assuming you're based in the US, if not disregard.

Price comparison is legal under "fair use" laws. Basically, you should be comparing comparable services/products and not misrepresenting the competitor's price/product/services. If your advertising is not factually true, it could be considered as slander, though.

So, like, saying: GeekSquad charges $xxx for in-home pc setup, we charge $xx for the same service.
is ok because you're basing your advertising on the rates.
Saying: FireDog charges $xxx for unprofessional service, we charge $xx for professional service.
is bad because..well, it should be obvious in the case, but it's because it's badmouthing the company's service/product.

Jory
04-13-2008, 09:22 PM
I've seen plenty of price comparisons before so I doubt it's illegal, but I'd certainly make sure you list the date you checked their prices, and probably even link them to where they can find the newest price.

gunslinger
04-13-2008, 10:54 PM
Most of the time I tell a customer who questions my prices to contact the big shops and get a quote then call me back. I have undercut the bigger shops prices by as much as 80% and I'm still doing very well. I make sure the customer knows this.

Holzster
04-14-2008, 12:21 AM
Besides the price - working with us "smaller" guys, we give a level of service the big guys can only dream about!!