PDA

View Full Version : Remote Admin Opinions

Trouble-Shooter
04-12-2008, 04:39 AM
Hello all,

I have just added a few new services at my shop, and while I'm familiar with remote work, I've been tinkering with the latest Remote Admin version lately. I'm considering purchasing a license once the trial runs out, and it's about to be expired.

So far, I'm pretty impressed with the interface and ease of installation and use. I'm hoping someone here has had more extensive experience with it, and can give me a "cliff's notes" break-down of the pro's and con's to this application/utility. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Matt

Nathan H
04-12-2008, 02:58 PM
Hi matt,

What software are you using? and what version?

Trouble-Shooter
04-12-2008, 11:21 PM
Radmin Server/Viewer 3.

Jory
04-13-2008, 02:13 AM
There is a thread discussing VNC software somewhere. You can probably find it by searching. Personally I like TightVNC which is free. I've never heard of Radmin, but a quick google search makes me think it's paid software.

Trouble-Shooter
04-13-2008, 05:15 AM
It is paid software. I'm more than interested in paying for it after just giving it a brief test-drive. I was absolutely impressed with the ease of install, and within minutes you are looking at the customers desktop, commanding their mouse, etc. I'm new to this particular software, but I had heard of it years ago before the GUI was improved and file transfer options were improved.

Here's a screen shot of the remote desktop view:

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/6593/rad30vistaremscrmenusmeq7.th.gif (http://img211.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rad30vistaremscrmenusmeq7.gif)

At this point, I'm more than willing to purchase a license, I was hoping someone could talk me out of it for one reason or another. LOL.

Matt

cmonova
04-14-2008, 11:06 AM
I won't talk you out of it.. ;)

I have used that in the past along with VNC, Logmein, Crossloop, etc....I settled with DualDesk. Funcation wise they are all about the same. It comes down to what little differences you need in each package to make it work for you.

With DualDesk I called the place a few times and talked to the owner which I thought was pretty nice and he's a great laid back guy. So I went with their package and could be be more pleased.

But, I also just purchased a Bomgar unit due to wanting/needing more things out of it.

Have not gotten around to it yet. But, within the month i'll put out a report on all the different remote packages with pros/cons.

Jory
04-14-2008, 10:03 PM
Have you tried the popular free options like TightVNC or UltraVNC? I'm curious as to what features you need that are not in them.

Trouble-Shooter
04-18-2008, 11:57 PM
No, I haven't tried either of those. I'll search the threads and get some info and try em out. Have any of you given the trial a "go" for Radmin?

generalj
04-19-2008, 03:15 AM
I used radmin before. I used it when I was in an IT department for a large nation wide corporation. I really liked it over dameware etc. It is built really clean and is really efficient and speedy.

I only used it on our internal network and all the pc's had to have the radmin service installed on the machine for us to connect to it.

I don't know about using it to remote into customer computers over the internet, you may have to walk them through how to install the service first and open ports on router/firewall.

I am using ultra vnc right now for my computer repair company. I use the Single Click option,

All I do is customize a small 170KB exe with some info. network etc. You can also customize it with your own logo etc.

The good thing about the single click solution is the customer jsut has to run the exe. you can have a download place on your server for them or you can email it to them it is really small. It does not need admin privilages and no need to install or configure any ports. It is reverse connecting to your computer so all you ahve to do is have your end ports opned.

The bad thing is if your ip changes(e.g. it is dynamic) you will have toupdate the exe everytime. And if you go to another place and want to remote into someone you would have to configure one with that locations ip.

Since I dont remote into customer computers except from my place and I have a static ip this is an awesome free solution and VNC is one of the best remote technologies out there and has been a standard for a long time. I think it was actually one of the first implemenations of this technology.

ootuoyetahi
05-12-2008, 03:56 PM
Hello all,

I have just added a few new services at my shop, and while I'm familiar with remote work, I've been tinkering with the latest Remote Admin version lately. I'm considering purchasing a license once the trial runs out, and it's about to be expired.

So far, I'm pretty impressed with the interface and ease of installation and use. I'm hoping someone here has had more extensive experience with it, and can give me a "cliff's notes" break-down of the pro's and con's to this application/utility. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Matt

Radmin is probably my favorite. However dealing with a client el that may not be savy enough to install and forward ports it may not be the best choice. I have been using ultravnc singleclick.