PDA

View Full Version : Ccna

RKDus
04-11-2008, 11:04 AM
Well after months of putting it off I have finally booked the exams so as to give myself a deadline to work against and motivation to study. Has anyone else done the CCNA? How did you find it?

MHCG
04-11-2008, 03:01 PM
Yeah, I tried to study for that and kept falling asleep everytime I'd open the book up. I gave up after about 2 weeks.

Jesse (is having the exact same problem right now studying for the Security+)

04-11-2008, 07:54 PM
Jesse (is having the exact same problem right now studying for the Security+)

First time I took the Security+, I failed it by ONE question. I wish I hadn't let myself be so bored by the study guides....although, who knows...a coworker (at the time) studied very hard and only just passed it.

Anyway, I think for me, the CCNA guides with the interactive network simulators help the most. I haven't gotten around to scheduling it, and probably won't for a long time, but the books are too hard to follow.

acs
04-11-2008, 08:49 PM
Passed it first time a few years ago and did the requalification last November. I understand that the newer exam is more difficult than the older one and that you can no longer depend on the memory dumps.

Nathan H
04-11-2008, 10:21 PM
Just bought the (CCENT) ICND 1&2 and CCNA Cisco Study package today.

Not had a chance to open the books though...

Nathan H
04-12-2008, 05:40 PM
Just bought the (CCENT) ICND 1&2 and CCNA Cisco Study package today.

Not had a chance to open the books though...

Here's a laugh,

I oped the box pulled out Book 1 CCENT ICND1 after the many pages of crap you eventually reach page 1 and begin Chapter 1.

NOT IN MY CASE!!!!

After the crap it starts at page 53 which is mid way through chapter 3
The enclosed CD which contained the Ebook has the missing pages....

It was a sealed box no sign of tampering, just a weird manufacturing defect.

and to top it all off customer services phone number is for the us only, they did however give me a snail mail address to contact them...

RKDus
04-12-2008, 11:39 PM
Yes, trying to read through the material can be really boring. I have the CCNA CBTNuggets though which I find useful because it's easier to keep progressing. The fact that I now have a deadline to work against has helped no end aswell!

syst3merror
04-13-2008, 02:30 AM
man, and here I thought I was having problems with my A+ study guides....

acs
04-13-2008, 07:35 PM
Sorry to disappoint but the CCNA is much harder that A+, network+ or Linux+

syst3merror
04-13-2008, 11:00 PM
like I said, and I thought the A+ was hard. if I thought it was hard, I'm not even going for the other ones....plus in my line of work and in my town, anything other than A+ nobody cares about.

In 2 years (about 300 customers part-time) I would say roughly 3 people have asked if I had any kind of certification. I always reply, "none at the moment, I'm completely self-taught" and nobody says another word about the issue.

Phishie
05-30-2008, 08:32 PM
In 2 years (about 300 customers part-time) I would say roughly 3 people have asked if I had any kind of certification. I always reply, "none at the moment, I'm completely self-taught" and nobody says another word about the issue.Lool... the A+ tests are easy peasy. Just signup and find some software that has sample tests and do them over and over again. Then go take the test and you'll pass. Hehe

And when people ask you if you have any Certs just tell them you are working on your CCNA and MCSE and then they'll shut up.

I am studying for a B.S. in Computer Network Management right now. Sadly, I am finding my General Education classes more fun than the networking classes. -_-

For the OP: I don't think the CCNA tests will be too difficult when I take them, but then again, I am paying about $70k for my schooling. :D

hawks5999
06-03-2008, 04:25 AM
Don't know what it's like now but I (just barely) got CCNA back in 2001 or 02 after 1 month of reading a study guide and some transcender type questions and doing some virtual router labs. Never actually logged on to a Cisco product before or since. Didn't renew. Honestly, I don't think the CCNA represents a lot of useful information other than some routing principles. If you are looking to focus at all on Cisco you have to go CCNP. From a different perspective, the CCNA and CCDA make you pretty useful to talk (as in sales talk) about the products.

One last thing. I was so stoked to get my CCNA that I signed up at the testing center that very minute for the two A+ tests. They were adaptive back then and it took about 20 minutes to pass them both.

i2omani
06-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Well after months of putting it off I have finally booked the exams so as to give myself a deadline to work against and motivation to study. Has anyone else done the CCNA? How did you find it?

Oh boy, i have been trying for the past 2 years , didn't had the chance to take the test! they gave us a crash course at work for a week , they send some stupid lady from Tecksys.... anyways i fall asleep everytime i try to read the book;)
I have all the material if you need anything i will be glad to help?
My full-time job i work with 2 big big Cisco routers 76xx series

p.s: you will need to setup a small lab, and practice practice practice:o

With you the best of luck
Romani

RKDus
06-10-2008, 11:29 PM
Well I took the tests and passed. I found it fairly straight forward. I used CBTnuggets for a general overview and then read the official certification library. I used some lab simulator for practice. Now on to CCNP!