PDA

View Full Version : Odd XP Install [photos]

Bryce W
04-10-2008, 04:41 PM
I was at a party last weekend and a friend of mine brought over her laptop for my other friend to format. While the party was going on, this laptop was put aside as it was installing Windows.

When I went to look at the laptop, this was the install screen which gave me a little giggle.

(must be logged into the forums to see):
http://www.technibble.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45&stc=1&d=1207841964

http://www.technibble.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=46&stc=1&d=1207841964

I asked my friend about it and it turns out it was heavily hacked Windows XP (obviously) and looks and behaves like Windows Vista without the crappiness of Vista. Also comes with XP SP3 pre-installed.

syst3merror
04-10-2008, 07:19 PM
yeah, it is quite common among pirates. I've had a client or two with it on their computer.

MHCG
04-10-2008, 11:20 PM
Arrrrr. I be a pirate, arrrr.

gunslinger
04-11-2008, 12:05 AM
I have actually seen this one on torrent sites. Pretty funny.

Jory
04-11-2008, 12:48 AM
Wow, you guys sure know how to party. =P

MHCG
04-11-2008, 01:03 AM
haha, that's what i was thinking when I read it. So... he's at a party and someone is installing XP?

Trouble-Shooter
04-11-2008, 03:37 AM
Ah. Sometimes parties suck and I'll start looking for a rig to mess with. You know, change all the windows sounds around so every time they log on, you hear cartman yell "I didn't have an anal probe!!", or something like that. Ha.

MHCG
04-11-2008, 03:59 AM
I have a friend at work that I messed with. It took him 2 weeks to figure out what was happening. I made MS Word auto-correct "and" to "nad". I thought it was pretty funny at the time.

rurbaniak
04-11-2008, 04:58 PM
I asked my friend about it and it turns out it was heavily hacked Windows XP (obviously) and looks and behaves like Windows Vista without the crappiness of Vista. Also comes with XP SP3 pre-installed.

Whats your friends name, and phone number? I'd like to contact him, thanks!

Signed... The Police.

;)

04-11-2008, 08:04 PM
Whats your friends name, and phone number? I'd like to contact him, thanks!

Signed... The Police.

It's not necessarily illegal. A few years ago when I built a system for myself, I made a customized XP install disc for that particular machine. I changed the background of the installer, slipstreamed all of the drivers, then had it autoinstall a few of my programs (like Winamp, codecs, trillian) and all of the updates that were current when I made the disc. I could have added the activation files onto the disc so it'd be preactivated, but I wasn't sure how that'd work when I upgraded, so I didn't do it.
Anyway, aside from modifying the installer, I was still using legal software with my own key...it was just automated so I didn't have to do as much when it was "finished".

camp.cool007
01-02-2009, 03:52 AM
You have GOT to be kidding???

usacvlr
01-02-2009, 06:51 PM
My personal favorite is to hide the taskbar, remove all the icons and then change the background desktop image to what was on their screen(take screenshot first) before I did this then watch them click around like mad trying to get things to work.

RyanMeray
01-02-2009, 07:37 PM
My personal favorite is to hide the taskbar, remove all the icons and then change the background desktop image to what was on their screen(take screenshot first) before I did this then watch them click around like mad trying to get things to work.

Welcome to the Perils of Fake User Interfaces (www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/001164.html). heh

usacvlr
01-06-2009, 07:07 PM
kinda like the old gag site that said how to keep an idiot busy for 5 minutes or some such.. and it was just a button in the middle of the screen that said click me but when the cursor gets close the button jumps :)

As I recall if you hold down shift or the right mouse button you can get the cursor on the button and then left click it.

ithinkyou5.0
01-08-2009, 10:17 AM
i laughed so hard!! haha u want that install screen so bad