PDA

View Full Version : Web site stuff

lazzo71
04-04-2008, 01:08 AM
Hey guys,
I am just starting to play with Dreamweaver to create a web site for my business. I am only new at web creation but I'm having a lot of fun doing it.
It might take a while but I'll definitely learn something.
I am suggesting that we start a thread with members webpages for critique and also any sharing of web graphics, html code etc.
Let me know what you think.
I have been checking out some of the members sites to get some ideas, the KISS (keep it simple stuipd) method seems to be the most effective, I am very impressed with the sites I have visited so far.

gunslinger
04-04-2008, 01:32 AM
Sounds like a good idea to me. I have just started getting into web design in a bigger way and have found there is a lot of money in it. I didn't really like doing websites but its starting to grow on me.

MHCG
04-04-2008, 02:01 AM
edited post

geekhelp4u
04-04-2008, 02:58 AM
I will be willing to help out in this area... While I am pursing my degree in computer information technology, I got my minor in Art - multimedia/web design!

lazzo71
04-04-2008, 04:17 AM
I love your web pages Chris, very professional (except for the photo of yourself LOL).

gunslinger
04-04-2008, 04:56 AM
I will be willing to help out in this area... While I am pursing my degree in computer information technology, I got my minor in Art - multimedia/web design!

OMG, I just seen your rates :eek:. Where are you located? There is no way I could get away with those rates here.

gadz00ks1
04-04-2008, 06:03 AM
I would love to redesign my site from scratch but I have zero web experience. so fire away at my site offer any suggestions you have. I play around with HTML from time to time.

geekhelp4u
04-04-2008, 01:38 PM
OMG, I just seen your rates :eek:. Where are you located? There is no way I could get away with those rates here.

Houston, Texas. I am currently in school, so I can only work part time. My rates will go up once I build a client list, but as of now, there is so much competition that I can't raise my rates. There are 7 Best Buys in my area, 3 Circuit Cities, and about 12 mom and pop stores in the area. If I charged the same price as these guys, they would go there... as they are all geek squad, fire dog, or store fronts! I can not compete with their advertising... and when they do it so much, it is next to impossible to convince people that I am not only as good as them, but much better. Current Client word of mouth is my sole form of working advertising. I have run mail adds, fliers, classifieds, etc... and not a single call from them. Lucky, my girlfriend works in a hospital. I fixed one persons computer there, and the word of mouth has brought me 20 more clients!

geekhelp4u
04-04-2008, 01:53 PM
I would love to redesign my site from scratch but I have zero web experience. so fire away at my site offer any suggestions you have. I play around with HTML from time to time.

To start with, I would recommend at least a telephone number on your index page. Perhaps right under the One Call PC and Technology Support.

Secondly, you need to take advantage of meta tags and keywords. you would really be surprised with how this will effect your google rating. For example, I use the following:

<meta name="keywords" content="Cypress TX, Computer Repair, Network Help, Computer Upgrades, Virus Removal, Spyware Removal, Houston, Spring, Tomball, Computer Repair in Cypress TX, Cypress Texas Computer Repair, Cypress Computer, Parental Control, GEEKHELP, geek, geekhelp4u, geek help for you" />

Next, also in the head of your page, you should use the title tag
For my site I use:
<title>GEEKHELP4U, LLC - Cypress, TX Computer Help & Repair</title>

This appears at the top of the browser and in the TAB, where your page simple says Home.

I also recommend that you hide the counter you have on your index. When it gets up in the thousands, I would show it, but it could show a weakness when the count is as little as 50!

Good side... the contact form! This is a must!!! If they have to borrow a friends computer because their computer is down, they might not have email. This is a great way for them to still be able to email you!

gadz00ks1
04-04-2008, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the input Chris.
I'm making those changes as we speak. I would like to add a bit flash animation later, but I will have to play with the software for a while before I have something presentable.

MHCG
04-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Well, since people are checking out each other's web pages. Got any input on mine?

Computer Repair in Sierra Vista (http://www.myhomecomputerguy.com)

geekhelp4u
04-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Well, since people are checking out each other's web pages. Got any input on mine?

Computer Repair in Sierra Vista (http://www.myhomecomputerguy.com)

Overall i really like your web site! Especially the little guy you use for branding! Very clean, and nice colors! Few questions for you personally... unrelated!

Huachuca - isn't that Army MI?

What software and procedures do you use for CAC install at home? I am working on a disk that allows my users to be able to install this at home as well! Only problem is making it dummy proof!

I like your newsflash section! Would be great if you added more warnings, etc to it as well as a link to a page on your website on how you will actually work them them to repair the issue or keep the issue from happening! What script did you use to accomplish this?

If you are working near Huachuca, do you have a clearance? I recommend that if you do, you mention this under your certifications! You might be surprised how many people will call you to work on their systems, as they are government contractors and need someone with the clearance to work on the system!

MHCG
04-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Overall i really like your web site! Especially the little guy you use for branding! Very clean, and nice colors! Few questions for you personally... unrelated!

Huachuca - isn't that Army MI?
Thanks and yes it's the home of MI

What software and procedures do you use for CAC install at home? I am working on a disk that allows my users to be able to install this at home as well! Only problem is making it dummy proof!

I use the ActiveClient software for government civilians and military. They are authorized to install it on their home computers. I haven't yet found a solution for contractors. I haven't really looked all that hard either because I haven't had any contractors ask.

It looks like there is an open source smartcard reader software, http://www.opensc-project.org/projects.html but I haven't investigated it at all. In addition to the open source smart card reader software they would need the DOD certificates which are downloadable off of https://eportal.ctnosc.army.mil/ You'll need to download InstallRoot V2.19A and InstallRoot V2.19B They're executables that install of the certificates.

I like your newsflash section! Would be great if you added more warnings, etc to it as well as a link to a page on your website on how you will actually work them them to repair the issue or keep the issue from happening! What script did you use to accomplish this?

Newsflash is a feature built into Joomla. Joomla is an open source content management system. I like the idea of actually putting links onto my own site, I'll do that.

If you are working near Huachuca, do you have a clearance? I recommend that if you do, you mention this under your certifications! You might be surprised how many people will call you to work on their systems, as they are government contractors and need someone with the clearance to work on the system!

I would be surprised if someone didn't have a clearance here, but yeah maybe I'll put something in my "certifications" section. I could change that to a qualifications or something like that.

gunslinger
04-04-2008, 08:33 PM
I have a real basic question: Did you make the reflections under the little blue arrows? If so how?

http://i26.tinypic.com/50o95t.jpg

MHCG
04-04-2008, 08:54 PM
No, like I said earlier I got tired of reinventing the wheel so I just used the Joomla CMS for this site. Then I added my own logo and content. The one I'm using was designed by Red Evolution. http://www.wavingattrains.com/redevo_eleven/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

http://www.redevolution.com/joomla-templates/

focuz
04-05-2008, 04:04 AM
gunslinger I would like to introduce you to my wonderful pal photoshop. The shadow can be made by one of its layer effects.

In fact this is how I start all of my website designs. Using only an html editor on a website really restricts your content. Basically what contract web designers do is make the whole look of the site in photoshop and then slice the image into sections to code into html/css.

And actually for you guys that keep mentioning dreamweaver I actually really prefer microsoft expressions. I've used both and prefer expressions any day.

gunslinger
04-05-2008, 05:26 AM
I have not used photoshop in years. I mostly use Microsoft Digital Image Suite 2006. So I'm not sure how to do that.

focuz
04-05-2008, 05:36 AM
Select the layer that your image is on you want to edit. Then choose, Layer > Layer style > Drop Shadow. You can even choose how the shadow angles and how big and dark it is.