PDA

View Full Version : Windows Home Server

geekhelp4u
04-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Has anyone set up a windows home server yet? Looks like a great idea for clients who have the money! I was curios as to how well it works! I have a Gateway Laptop that I was thinking about trying it out on! Sad, as it is a nice laptop with a 256 non integrated graphics card on it and is 64 bit, but the darn screen flickers on and off depending on the angle! On top of that the battery will not hold a charge, so i figured I might as well put it to use!

Any suggestions on setup and install before I start would be great as I have never seen or used home server!

htsource
04-02-2008, 10:09 PM
My understanding is that Windows Home Server comes pre-built with OEM systems only. So you can't buy the OS separately? I'd like to know if I can do that too as I have few users wanted to get a basic file server for sharing music/pictures, etc.

geekhelp4u
04-02-2008, 10:52 PM
My understanding is that Windows Home Server comes pre-built with OEM systems only. So you can't buy the OS separately? I'd like to know if I can do that too as I have few users wanted to get a basic file server for sharing music/pictures, etc.

$179.99 at Tiger Direct
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3500019&CatId=672

$169.99 at Newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116395

Free 120 Day Trial from Microsoft
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/eval.mspx

jamesbhp
04-02-2008, 11:25 PM
That was the original plan, to be bundled with Hardware only; but MS recently changed it so that you can buy it seperately now.

htsource
04-02-2008, 11:48 PM
I see, thank you very much for the information.

Blues
04-03-2008, 01:02 PM
Since release it has been avialable but only as an OEM copy there is no retail version. If you read an OEM license its for new hardware so technically getting it for that laptop is a violation of the OEM license. So more or less your right it is only to be bundled with hardware but they made it available to system builders. I would like to point out there is a serious bug in it that to my knowledge has not been fixed. The bug is in how it handles systems with multiple HDDs and the bug causes it to corrupt peoples data. I don't know if using a RAID setup via the motherboard or a RAID card have this issue. The problem is in MS's virtual raid controller they put in it. I wish I had more to link you to on it but it is a problem and I don't believe it is fixed yet.

weseal
04-03-2008, 02:33 PM
I have WHS running on a home made server. I like the OS alot, its basically windows 2003 server simplified. Makes a very nice backup server and allows remote access to all files on server. It can do alot more but ive only had it up and running for a few weeks.

The data corrupt issue is a problem but MS said that they will have a fix for it no later than june. Plus the corruption only happens on servers with more than one drive, which i don't right now.

geekhelp4u
04-03-2008, 03:03 PM
I have WHS running on a home made server. I like the OS alot, its basically windows 2003 server simplified. Makes a very nice backup server and allows remote access to all files on server. It can do alot more but ive only had it up and running for a few weeks.

The data corrupt issue is a problem but MS said that they will have a fix for it no later than june. Plus the corruption only happens on servers with more than one drive, which i don't right now.

if its a raid thing, how does it handle external drives as a temp. solution until the fix?

As for the OEM License agreement, I will buy a barebones kit for the system, I just want to set it up on the laptop as a trial before I buy something to make sure it is what I am looking for at home

Blues
04-03-2008, 06:07 PM
It has to do with windows creating a software raid of sorts. Where it takes any and all drives you have and treats them as one this includes external drives. Basicly until this corruption issue is fixed WHS is only good with single HDD and if your wanting to test and sample do so on that until the issue is patched.

Edit: here is a link to MS article on it which should provide some insight http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946676/en-us. Here is an article which I think goes into some technical detail on the issue is in the following link http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=413

Holzster
04-06-2008, 06:59 PM
remeber there is a bug in MS Home Server - if you modify or edit any files over your LAN with the file on the Home Server if might delete the file. I have 3 customers that this happened to. MS knows about the bug they sent me a fix via e-mail - here was the fix.

"Recreate the file that was deleted, We should have another fix for you in the June/July/August time frame."

Nice fix huh!!

One customer lost 8 years of pictures!!

Blues
04-07-2008, 03:02 PM
remeber there is a bug in MS Home Server - if you modify or edit any files over your LAN with the file on the Home Server if might delete the file. I have 3 customers that this happened to. MS knows about the bug they sent me a fix via e-mail - here was the fix.

"Recreate the file that was deleted, We should have another fix for you in the June/July/August time frame."

Nice fix huh!!

One customer lost 8 years of pictures!! Thats the error I have warned him about but it is only present when you are using more then 1 HDD in the system. My last post linked to articles on it with more detailed information.