PDA

View Full Version : Quirky Little Customer Requested Apps

gadz00ks1
04-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Hey Everyone, I thought it would be good to compile an assortment of commonly requested apps that customers ask for. I have an appointment today and I was asked for AOL9.0

What other programs/apps are you all asked about?

MHCG
04-01-2008, 10:34 PM
AOL 9.0???? Why would anyone want that?

A couple of times I've got:
How can I make copies of DVD movies? I tried to copy them, but they just fail when I do it.

gadz00ks1
04-02-2008, 12:54 AM
Im not sure but they specifically asked for it so.....

gunslinger
04-02-2008, 01:42 AM
I have actually had a few customers request it. I always try to talk them out of it. Some actually think they need it on their system.

Bryce W
04-02-2008, 03:06 AM
My List:
http://www.technibble.com/onsite-computer-technician-kit-installers-cd/

Blues
04-02-2008, 12:40 PM
I know a few people who "need" AOL and what ever the current version is will be the one I use unless they specify or are having problems. Most of the people I know using it are on broadband as I have atleast convinced people that dialup is just too much of a headache. I wish people would stop getting AOL ontop of thier dialup so it can stop existing. Oddly enough these people prefer it to just an internet browser window you don't have to sign onto and similarly done email through Outlook or Outlook Express.

gunslinger
04-02-2008, 01:14 PM
I can't understand it either. Even after I show them Firefox and Gmail still they want AOL. Maybe if Gmail could say " you've got mail " every few seconds?

SDPCM
04-02-2008, 01:51 PM
there is a gmail notifier too, though i havent used it (i think it would get annoying)

http://toolbar.google.com/gmail-helper/notifier_windows.html

gadz00ks1
04-02-2008, 02:07 PM
I had the worst time getting this program installed. First of all the customer "attempted" to install/uninstall and then restore the OS. Needless to say that mucked up his system. My uninstaller could not even remove AOL. I had to hack the registry to remove it. I cannot begin to tell you how of crapware this application, but hey what the customer wants they get.

gunslinger
04-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Next time you have to remove it try this http://pcdecrapifier.com/download

This and the Norton removal tool are the first things I run on a new system.

Andy-Always
04-02-2008, 10:16 PM
What is AOL???? :eek:

and Norton???? :(

Norton removal tool - now I'm familiar with that!!! :D

focuz
04-05-2008, 03:19 AM
[QUOTE=Andy-Always;10901]What is AOL???? :eek:

Nice Joke...

jj2000
04-05-2008, 07:25 AM
What is AOL???? :eek:

and Norton???? :(

Norton removal tool - now I'm familiar with that!!! :D

heheheheheheheehehe.

norton removal used to be the bane of my life until i discovered this.
now i have a disclaimer in the shop saying if you install norton or mcafee onto any system i sell then i am not responsible for that machine as it invalidates any warranty i supply.

Andy-Always
04-05-2008, 03:39 PM
Customers usually frown when I tell them how bad Norton products are...

They ask me "how come it's such a well known brand and installed on so many computers from new...can it really be that bad?"

I usually reply with "hey, look at McDonalds - probably the worst hamburgers in the World - but they still sell billions"

Maybe we all need better marketing???

Oh and no offence Ronald!!

Blues
04-07-2008, 02:51 PM

They ask me "how come it's such a well known brand and installed on so many computers from new...can it really be that bad?"

I usually reply with "hey, look at McDonalds - probably the worst hamburgers in the World - but they still sell billions"

Maybe we all need better marketing???

Oh and no offence Ronald!!

Atleast with mcdonalds you basicly get what you pay for unlike norton.

gunslinger
04-07-2008, 03:51 PM
I cringe when I'm visting the local shops and I see the sells people pushing Norton like crack. Sometimes I'll go over and just hand them my card because I know they are going to have problems soon, and there is no talking them out of buying Norton or McAfee.

justpcsupport
04-21-2008, 06:01 AM
I know this sounds random, but I get alot of requests for where to find safe free screensavers and backgrounds.

JohnG
04-21-2008, 11:21 AM
I have requests for automated clean-up and recommend TuneUp Utilities. I'll spend time with the customer training them on the use of it as well, depending on their experience, and level of comfort. I always respond to the mere mention of AOL with a phrase I coined 10 years ago...AOL, heh heh, AOL...AlmostOnLine. :rolleyes:

focuz
04-23-2008, 03:16 AM
I normally just get the "How do I burn movies I rent"

And I actually like the big mac, that is until I see a checkers around...Yummy... Big Buford.

Bryce W
04-23-2008, 05:01 AM

I frequently hear that as well. My usual response is:
"I guess they put more money into their marketing than into their product development"

Sometimes I'll go over and just hand them my card because I know they are going to have problems soon, and there is no talking them out of buying Norton or McAfee.
I am SO going to do this next time. This is a great opportunity to get some more clients.