PDA

View Full Version : Liquid spill on laptop

MrMille
04-01-2008, 09:15 AM
What steps do you guys usually instruct a customer to talk after a heavy drinks spill on a laptop?

After the laptop has dried out, what steps do you guys usually take to ensure you don't add to the damage?

tartis
04-01-2008, 02:43 PM
It depends on what they spilled. If it pop/soda with lots of acid, it is most likely going to do physical damage to the boards. If it is just water, wait until the unit is completely dry before adding the battery and power back to the unit.

I have had someone leave a laptop on the back deck of their house, and the lawn sprinkler turned on wetting the laptop. I have also had users spill coffee, pop, beer, and everything in between.

04-01-2008, 08:56 PM
I usually tell a customer to disconnect the power, both battery and adapter, and bring the system in as soon as possible if they want to attempt having it repaired.....oh, and "prepare yourself for the worst"

When I have a liquid spill system brought in, I tear it down completely and make notes of where I see any traces of the spill. I'll then check over each board for any sign of the liquid spill, either damaged components or where water may still be on the board. If it's visibly damaged, I set it aside in the "to be replaced pile" and continue checking. If I don't see any electrical damage, I dry the board off, use some of that citrus soap to dissolve any gunk that might be built up if it dried. (My thinking on this is that the liquid soap dries faster and cleans up easier than soda, coffee, alcohol, etc) Anything with liquid on it is then air dried (hot air gun on relatively low temp).
After everything's dry, and the motherboard's ok, I'll then see if it posts. and continue to diag as normal from there.

MrMille
04-01-2008, 09:45 PM
They put the laptop in the hot press, and when I went on site,
there was reluctant to let the laptop leave their house.
I was told it contained sensitive data.
I explained that I can do a backup, or startup the machine.
They chose to startup the machine.
I first removed the drive, then did a POST with battery,
then with power suppy,
then with the drive in place
All worked fine.
I also found some bogey entries using HJT.

During payment, I could be wrong, but got the impression it was kinda like
"you just turned it on"

MHCG
04-01-2008, 10:31 PM
I explained that I can do a backup, or startup the machine.
They chose to startup the machine.
I first removed the drive, then did a POST with battery,
then with power suppy,
then with the drive in place
All worked fine.
I also found some bogey entries using HJT.

During payment, I could be wrong, but got the impression it was kinda like
"you just turned it on"

I would have backed up their data to another drive before I turned it on. If they had lost their data, they could conceivably blame it on you because you "just turned it on".

geekhelp4u
04-02-2008, 04:09 PM

This is where having a government clearance helps me out! They seem always willing to let you take it with you when you have a government currier card that says TOP SECRET on it! Granted, I am sure some paranoid person will think it is fake one day, and I will face the same dilemma!

bagellad
06-24-2008, 05:28 AM
You will probably see that laptop again, long term exposure to water & soda etc. sometimes makes the boards rust or corrode. They get some weird errors we ran into that at a place I worked at awhile ago. How would you backup the drive without turning it on? move it to another computer? Do you think they had dirty pictures on their computer?