PDA

View Full Version : Wrt54g

MrMille
04-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Guys,

Last night onsite, my client had a Linksys WRT54G and a Zyxel DSL modem (non-wireless).
The three laptops which connect wirelessly had lost their connection to the Linksys for no apparent reason, hence the call to me.

After dealing with a variety of password issues, I could get into the Linksys which is connected to the desktop computer via ethernet, but could not get onto the internet.
When I plugged desktop directly into the Zyxel I could get onto the net.

Any ideas?
When I go onsite again, I'm going to bring an ethernet cable, perhaps bring my own wireless box too.

In my mind this should be simple to solve.
Plug the dsl line into the Zyxel, plug the Zyxel via ethernet into the Linksys,
plug the printer via ethernet into the Linksys. And then connect the laptops via wireless.

Are there any configuration changes I need to make to the Linksys?
By default it's DHCP, and by rights it should be just plug and play into the Zyxel, right?

HELP! any help is really appreciated.

MHCG
04-01-2008, 03:52 PM
Check to make sure they're not allowing connections by MAC. Some people like to do MAC filtering along with encryption to make it double secure.

Blues
04-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Is it using PPPoE and is that configured correctly?

thecoldone06
04-01-2008, 04:24 PM
Did you try rebooting the router? I've had a lot of that type of problem and rebooting usually fixes it. Sounds to simple to be true...but effective.

geekhelp4u
04-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Is it using PPPoE and is that configured correctly?

Also remember that if it uses PPPoE you have to make sure the computers are configured correctly... When connecting through the Linksys router, the computers should be using a direct connect to the Internet!

In firefox, go to Tools->Options and select the Advanced Tab
Select the Network Tab, and click on Settings
Make sure Direct Connection to the Internet is selected

In Internet Explorer, go to Tools->Internet Options and select the Connections Tab
Make sure the Dial-up and Virtual Private Network settings is empty

geekhelp4u
04-01-2008, 04:59 PM
Also try another router... I had some bad issues with the WRT54G V5. I think there was a bad batch made of these routers, and testing a different router fixed the problem. I know linksys switched from Linux to VxWorks on these routers. VxWorks-based WRT54G "series 5" models have 2MB of Flash, and 8MB of RAM, compared with 4MB of Flash and 16MB of RAM in the earlier, Linux-based versions. Because of this, when I buy a new WRT54G I make sure it is the WRT54GL version that still uses Linux!

A fix I have found for the WRT54G V5 routers is to install the dd-wrt firmware. http://www.dd-wrt.com! It has really woken then routers up from the dead, and they started not only working again, but working much better than before! If you try this, check to see what is supported... last I checked, v7 is not supported and all that use the 2MB of Flash are only supported by the micro version of dd-wrt!

gadz00ks1
04-01-2008, 06:54 PM
I would cold boot the linksys router 1st. (unplug 1min)
If that didnt work I would back up the config, get the latest firmware for the router, reset to factory defaults, and reconfigure it.

seedubya
04-01-2008, 08:23 PM
First, the Zyxel should be in bridge mode and plugged into the WAN port on the Linksys
Second the Linksys should be configured with the DSL settings (PPPOE) VCI=8 VPI=35 and the account u/n p/w
Third enable DHCP on the Linksys (temporarily disable and WEP etc.) plug directly into it and see if the linksys has gotten an IP address from the DSL provider.
Once you have that it should be easy. If you have no joy do a factory reset, re-enter everything. Still no joy? Upgrade the firmware or bin the Linksys.

MrMille
04-01-2008, 08:56 PM
you are a gent!

If we ever meet, pints on me!

MrMille
04-02-2008, 05:09 PM
When you say the Zyxel should be in briding mode, does this apply if the Zyxel and Linksys are connected via ethernet cable, and not wirelessly?

seedubya
04-02-2008, 07:15 PM
Yes, absolutely. In bridge mode the Zyxel acts solely as a DSL modem and the Linksys does all of the routing. What model Zyxel is it? Is it the little blue one that BT provide with the broadband package? If you want to ring me my number is 086 9074851.

MrMille
04-02-2008, 11:39 PM
What a plaver! :)

Got the problem solved in the end!!! :) :)

When I set the Zyxel (the small blue one supplied by BT) to bridging, it crashed, and had to be reset.

When I turned the wireless seccurity on, the Linksys crashed.

When I set the Linksys to PPPoE, and gave it the password, it wouldn't authenticate, then I remembered that BT append @btbb to the username.

After dealing with several other issues.

I got the desktop on the net via the Linksys-bridged-ZyXel
Then I set about setting up the other laptops wirelessly, no security. Went fine.
Then I applied WPA-PSK/AED, nothing worked,
Then I applied WPA-PSK/TKIP, two laptops worked
the third laptop wouldn't connect, and it wouldn't connect via ethernet.

Then, I noticed the Linksys had lost it's marbles and that was the problem, it was an intermittent defect.
New box on the way.

Phew

geekhelp4u
04-03-2008, 12:39 AM
Then, I noticed the Linksys had lost it's marbles and that was the problem, it was an intermittent defect.
New box on the way.

Phew

was it a version 5 or later?

if so, make sure you replace it with the wrt54gL

The non linux versions are rubbish!

Nathan H
04-03-2008, 01:17 AM
Slightly off topic, but a few my find this useful.

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N100472.asp

It a list of the ISP settings for netgear Routers.

Netgear aslo use the following Defaults

User: admin
Password: password

tkrabec
04-03-2008, 02:08 AM
Simple, the zyxel and the linksys are both on the same subnet 192.168.1.x
change the linksys to 192.168.2.x and you'll be set.

Blues
04-03-2008, 02:09 PM
tkrabec I had a similar issue the linksys would lose connection in less then 24 hours. I finally replaced the linksys and it is working basicly Im down to DSL + Linksys is a bad idea they just won't work together.

seedubya
04-04-2008, 10:52 PM
Blues, I have installed in excess of 50 (various models) Linksys routers for DSL customers in the last 18 months and have not had one problem. I have problems with DLink, Zyxel and esp. with Netgear. Cannot fault Linksys for a second.

Crgky127
04-05-2008, 05:03 AM
Many people who have had problems with WRT54Gs fixed them with DD-WRT.

iladelf
04-05-2008, 06:03 AM
I have a 54G V5 converted to dd-wrt, and I'd say, don't buy the hype. Yes, it makes it a better router, but mine seems to "choke" frequently, especially when streaming. I understand that's from the miniscule onboard memory the plain 54G has. IMO, the 54G is slightly better than no router at all, but not much. I'll probably go D-Link high-end N for a router next time. I setup one of those last year in a giant three-story house that broadcasted a nearly-100% signal to ALL floors and even outside on their patio. Probably the one I'll buy.