PDA

View Full Version : What to Charge for a Computer Repair

bongo
02-20-2006, 10:57 PM
nice article..what i noticed is that the people seems to overcharge for over a small repair..a price is actually nothing but actually its the service that counts..i dun wan to keep going back to repair..;)

Bryce W
02-20-2006, 11:03 PM
what i noticed is that the people seems to overcharge for over a small repair
That might be because they need to cover travelling time. I charge by the hour even if the job takes me 5 minutes (though I usually fill the hour with by teaching them how to do things or something). I charge $XX for the first hour, and half that for every hour after. If I charged the half amount per hour and I had travelled an hour to get to the clients place, it isnt worth it even just petrol wise. A 1 hour job that is one hour away is 3 hours out of your day so most techies should have a first hour charge to cover travelling costs.

a1whs.com
02-21-2006, 05:00 PM
For a simple Repair Charge : The money you spent on coming to that place + 5$ tips.

For Moderate Job: Same as above + add 15$ per hour to it.

For Complicated Job: Same as the first one + add 40$ per hour to it .

Remember if your not known charge almost like nothing to gain some good reputation. As time passes by increase your rates. Dont try to charge same as other stores are charging if your just opening or starting up.

bongo
02-22-2006, 04:44 PM
everytime i go repair even only for a small thing that i dunno about,a repair would cost at least SGD$50..and wats more i take the computer to the repair center..and i had to go back to take the pc..

Durinthiam
02-26-2006, 02:51 AM
for basic work I charge
£25 p/h and for deep recovery £50 p/h

Most people are happy enough with that and it's cheaper than PCWorld and I'm qualified..unlike most PCWorld "techies"

a1whs.com
02-26-2006, 07:56 AM
Most people are happy enough with that and it's cheaper than PCWorld and I'm qualified..unlike most PCWorld "techies"

What you mean qualified , do you mean a+ certificate or some other certificate also?

Durinthiam
02-26-2006, 01:59 PM
Microsoft qualified and City & Guilds IT Practitioner lvl3

ArticleBot
10-28-2006, 07:08 AM
A question that I frequently hear on forums is "how much should I charge for a computer repair?". This article should help you set your prices.
Read the full article. (http://www.technibble.com/what-to-charge-for-a-computer-repair/)

prinsipe21
11-10-2006, 04:04 AM
nice to hear that one!

Bryce W
11-14-2006, 02:48 PM
Im finding that it doesnt matter too much how much you charge (within reason of course). Just advertise to those areas who are more likely to pay what you charge and make sure you can justify the cost (if you are really good and they think your great, they'll pay higher amounts).

Alden
05-07-2007, 05:44 AM
I've found that the bargain basement service rates typically devalue the services provided. It boils down to perception. If I charge a premium rate, but still substantially less than the big boy's, I've created a perceived value or savings over the main players. I've been able to indirectly liken my businesses service to the well established/well known enterprises and differentiate my services based on price and personal attention. It's a pricing strategy that has worked nicely for a few years.

I couldn't tell you how many clients have remarked finding someone for half my rates and less yet they didn't trust the service. They fell that paying a little more will gain them better quality work and service.

What can I say... I think the customer is always right!

MrMille
05-08-2007, 04:51 AM
I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but here goes.

There is no point in saying, "I change $10 per hour"
and there is no point in saying, "I charge $100 per hour"

UNLESS you can qualify that with something that quantifies
the overall cost.

Can you rebuild a PC (OS, all drivers, and productivity applications)
in one hour for 10 bucks, or one hour for 100 bucks.

Basically, the hourly rate without the time it takes you to do a job is useless.

tkrabec
05-08-2007, 01:35 PM
If you're worth your salt char for it, if you're just starting out charge a lower rate, be honest with people, and get paid to learn. Don't be afraid to "fire" a customer, get rid of the jerks, cheapskates, and people who do not listen then blame it on you.

If you charge for repair and people say is that all, or wow I did not think it would be so cheap, you can probably charge a bit more. On the other hand if most of your customer make weird faces and are complaining about the price you may be a bit high.

No matter what you do for someone give them a bill/invoice. You can show a discount of 100% if you want, but give them the bill. If you give your work people will not attach a value to it, but if they have a bill at say 75USD for some work and you give them 100% off they see how much your time is worth.

MrMille
05-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Perfect timing.

I spent hours performing a data recovery job.

I called the client, when I told him I was in a position to recovery
his documents, pictures, and mailbox and various other folders,
he was happy.

Before he arrived he rang to ask if cheque was okay, I said, "no, cash please"
He then turns up, spends 30 minutes pickin my brains, then only has 120!

Has anyone got a handy invoice template?

The thing is, I was able to recover other stuff, and as I'd put in many hours, I had expected him to pay me for my work, not just a minimal bill.

The lesson I learned is this....
Don't hand over computer until the bill is paid in full.

Now...anyone got that template?

tkrabec
05-16-2007, 01:38 PM
I'm working on templates now.

zboomerz
08-19-2007, 09:41 PM
that artical has a good point in it.The customer may not remember what you charged but your knowledgability and response times,flexibility etc.The minute they realise they need a problem taken care of and the next thought was how professional and curtious you where ,you got the job.

cmonova
08-20-2007, 12:44 PM
I have found that it is not hard to compete with those that charge cheap rates and advertise that mere fact. Usually if they are doing rates that are really that low either they are "fly by night" or they really just want a few bucks in their pocket.

For those that are actually making it a profession and have the experience you need to charge accordingly. It is no different than any other service industry where they charge properly for service.

99% of the time price will not matter to the customter as long as they know they are receiving good care. Customer service can offset cost any time.

gunslinger
08-21-2007, 04:41 AM
I have been asked why my rates are so low , I have to explain things like overhead to the customer and that I don't have much of it. Also I have asked customers to call the other shops first and I'll cut their rate my 50%.

rurbaniak
08-21-2007, 03:43 PM
I have been asked why my rates are so low , I have to explain things like overhead to the customer and that I don't have much of it. Also I have asked customers to call the other shops first and I'll cut their rate my 50%.

In the long run, you're not helping yourself. You end up with customers you don't want, the one's that are too cheap. They want to get by with whatever, and in the end you don't get that reoccurring revenue you are looking for.

I agree totally with cmonova on this.

If you are looking to build a long term business, it's best to bring your rates up, to be competitive. At a super low price, how do you address the price increase when you do get an offfice, car, other overhead? Now you're doubling the price? That will put off the customers you do have too.

gunslinger
08-21-2007, 04:09 PM
Ah, but here it works. You see, this is a low income section of the state and the shops here have ridiculously high rates. An example: they charged a woman i went to college with $250 for a reinstall of XP and with that she did'nt even get her data backed up, she lost tax docs. 300-400 photos and a huge mp3 collection. It also took them 2 weeks to "fix" it. You see, i can get away with charging half what the shops do because of the ridiculously high rates they charge. I still make what i need and i get even more customers. I would say 97-99% of all my customers went to the big shops first and got ripped off ( i know this because i have to listen to the horror stories while i fix their computer). I mean come on, $300 for a house call, $250 for a reinstall without a backup? I could charge 1/3 what they do and still make more than enough.

gunslinger
08-21-2007, 04:14 PM
Almost forgot, as far as overhead goes I have had to go up somewhat because of gas prices. Every long term customer I have told this said that they understand compleatly. My shop is my home so no real overhead there. All my advertising is word of mouth and cards the I got at staples for $23 per 1000.

Simmy
08-21-2007, 05:39 PM
I have to agree with cmonova aswell. As with any service/product, your rates should be whatever people are prepared to pay. It's not just your time you are charging for but also your expertise, experience and qualifications.

I decided on my rates by phoning other companies and asking how much they would charge for a certain job or what their hourly rates were. They usually ranged from £25 to £50/hour, so I started at £30/hour.

After doing 100 jobs, I realised not one person had been put off by my hourly rate. If they phoned me, I got the job (I do not advertise my hourly rate, so the only way to find out is to phone me).

So when the 101st customer rang, I raised my usual hourly rate by £5. After another 100 jobs, again no one had been put off by my increased hourly rate. So I put it up again.

I don't feel I am ripping my customers off, purely because I know I'm an honest guy. I'm punctual (traffic permitting :p), polite and I care about the customers needs.

snip

You've seen it yourself - people are prepared to pay some monkey $250 to simply format a hard drive. You shouldn't feel bad for charging that kind of price, IF you do a good job and back up peoples data.

Keeping your rates low, means you limit the amount of money you can make and limit the lifestyle you lead. After all, you only have so many hours in a day for work. Will you be able to afford a nice house, fast car/bike and all the other luxuries you want if you keep charging less than the rest?

I admire the fact you want to keep your prices down for your customers, but why should you make any less than these companies charging $250/job when they do a poor job? (although I have to agree, that does seem alot to charge to reinstall windows).

You should definitely charge the going rate when doing work for businesses.

gunslinger
08-21-2007, 08:15 PM
I have been known to work with customers on prices. Businesses not so much. But I still try to save them money. I more than make up for it in word of mouth and repeat business.

nonchalant
10-25-2007, 11:13 AM
When I first started off in computer repair some 5 years or so ago I started at $25AUS per hour. A year later I went to $30. As I gained more experience, repeat business and word of mouth, I went to $40/hr and for the last couple of years Ive been charging $50/hr. But I can do now what would have taken me twice as long (and more) to do 5 yrs ago.

In essence, the hourly rate means little. Its what you charge overall for the service you provide that matters to the customer. I simply use my hourly rate as a guide when quoting for customers. I charge a flat $125 for a format for example. I add another $25 if I have to remove viruses and backup data before I format. In some instances I can have all this done inside a couple of hours. in other cases it may take me in excess of 3 hours ($150 if I were to charge based on my hourly rate alone) but I dont charge extra. I take the good with the bad and for me it all balances out.

Charge what you feel comfortable with. You will know if you are overcharging and likewise you will know when you've under-charged. Compare your rates with other techs/businesses in the area. In my area they charge similar to what I have quoted above, however the difference is I do free pickup and delivery and provide personal service. Customers hate having to cart their PC off to a shop, wait a week, then pick it up, trek back home and plug it all in themselves in the hope it works. In view of that a job that may go well over the 3 hours I quoted above I'll sometimes charge even more for and customers dont seem to have a problem with that considering the personal service they are getting.

SandTech
10-26-2007, 03:35 AM
I was going to start charging extremely low, but after reading many and many article's, and for the past two weeks shopping around every single store in my area, and the area's around me.
Spyware removal with out backup range from $75-$150 in store drop off.

I decided to charge $90 drop off, and $125 for in house service. With free 2gigz backup.

Also advertising WE BEAT OUR COMPETITOR BY 10%. which i have no problem doing that. Because it will be hard to find cheap once around here.

Also I have a good friend of mine own a computer repair shop in my area, he said, The minute a customer walk in the store, all they care about is to get there computer fixed, they dont care about the price.

TechnoKelvin
04-17-2008, 06:14 AM
Not sure on the rules for bumping but this thread helped me a lot in regards to getting the prices down on my business.

Hope it helps the newer folks who visit here.

generalj
04-17-2008, 06:53 AM
This is my 1 cent.

Don't charge too low, and dont charge low at all for too long.

I admit I am in the business to make money and I feel the hours upon hours upon days upon years that I have worked on computers should be compensated for fairly.

Now don't get me wrong but the thing is if you low ball everyone else in the area you are devaluing the industry and not only your competitors but your business you are choosing to be in.

If you need to be lower then the competitors at first that is fine but not much $10 to $15 cheaper should be fine, then once you get the ball rolling well match the competitors. If you have the customer service then the customers will still come to you, who else can they go too? The guy for the same price but service sucks?

Service goes a long way and I go out of my way for service, that is another value from my company. Because I go out of my way to provide this service I also work hard at it to keep up with it. So that is more time and effort and I feel good about charging my rates for it.

Its all the market you want to deal with. Some ppl want a cheap fix and don't care about service, on time, extra help here and there, polite etc. they jsut want it fixed and thats it.

but alot of ppl want the service and will pay for it. dont think you are ripping them off, that is your market and they would not pay you if you were a rip off.

I think the industry is in a rocky place right now. A lot of younger kids are trying to work real cheap because they can. e.g live with parents, have no family, dont have the time invested in the career.

and this can hurt the industry if not kept in check by "GOOD" customer service oriented companies charging the correct amount for the job.

Most of the ppl charging way lower do not offer any gaurantee's etc.

I dunno I think I am worth what i charge, I charge $50 an hour right now but plan to raise it $10 in a few months to be more on par with the other established companies here in town.

I do like the idea of flat rates for certain jobs but the problem lies is this.

Yes I can do a spyware/virus clean for a flat rate of $40 (example) but what about the time to get there, the time to get out of there, etc etc etc.

All that time is time I could be doing other thing for my company, not computer repair, but marketing, learning, updating, etc. etc. It is my time that is the value but its my skill and service that sets the value.

I dont know if any of this makes sense but I cant see charging flat rates right now. Although I really think it would be a good system just not quite right in this business. I mean it can work. but.. anyways. more then 1 cent I guess that's my 5 dollars.

MHCG
04-17-2008, 02:02 PM
There's a guy in town right now charging half of what every body else is charging, including myself. I make more per hour working on Fort Huachuca than he is making at his business. Why would you even bother running a business if you can make more working for someone else? Whatever, I'm just venting.

gunslinger
04-17-2008, 03:05 PM
There's a guy in town right now charging half of what every body else is charging, including myself. I make more per hour working on Fort Huachuca than he is making at his business. Why would you even bother running a business if you can make more working for someone else? Whatever, I'm just venting.

Maybe he just likes working for himself and not having a boss. Competition can be a good thing. This guy will force everyone else to have better service for the money. At lest thats the customers point of view.

I did not get into this business to get rich. I got into it for two reasons, (1) I got sick of paying someone half a weeks wages and my computer still not being fixed. This was in the late 80's when anyone who knew how to use a computer was looked up to (2) I found that I liked fixing computers and I could make a good living and still undercut the shops by as much as 80%.

If this guy does crappy work, word will spread and people will come to you.

generalj
04-17-2008, 04:33 PM
Well I wanted to clarify something I said above. I said above that we are in this business for the money. Well I did not mean that for everyone and did not mean to speak for anyone else. I was was not saying to be rich because I am not here to become rich.

I am however here to make money. I have bills to pay I have a son to take care of and I need money for that and every day things that everyone has to pay for.

I don't need to get rich from this and I chose to get in this industry not for the money I chose it because I enjoy computers, and because I want to be my own boss and grow a successful company. But I still need to make money from it at the same time because if I don't then the company will fail and I will be out on the streets :)

Just wanted to clarify that. Thanks