PDA

View Full Version : Mapped Microsoft Sky Drive SLOW !

Colerainescotty
11-18-2010, 03:25 PM
Hi everyone,

I was tinkering about today searching for a good cloud type storage solution (I tend to loose alot USB pens a lot)

Anyway..

I decided to try and map my sky drive to my computer desktop which runs windows 7 and is a fairly decent spec machine.

So my sky drive shows up under mapped drives and I can view its contents and upload to it but it is extremely slow and sometimes causes the annoying "Not Responding" error for a minute or two.

I also have another mapped drive which is in another building where I work approx 65 miles away which works perfectly, so I know its only a problem with the actual sky drive.

My thoughts were that it is due to it using SSL security etc but the online version is super fast. I know Microsoft did not intend for users to Map it like this but it would be great to have this feature fully functional with decent speed. After all we are all not getting ripped off by our broadband provider for nothing.

I hope I have given enough info, If not please leave a comment and I'll get back with more.

As always many thanks in advance

ATSCF
11-18-2010, 08:46 PM
What is your internet upload speed compared to your work?

Colerainescotty
11-19-2010, 09:43 AM
I was using it at work and at home with the exact same results.

My upload speed at work is roughly 51.9Mbps and download over 100Mbps

My upload speed at home is roughly 5.8Mbps and download over 19MBps

Both work and home the mapped sky drive is extremely slow. I am just very curious as to why as it is very fast on the web.

Thanks again for replies

brokenmachine
11-21-2010, 07:56 AM
Hey Colerainescotty,

A while back I started using Gladinet (http://www.gladinet.com/), which made using Live Skydrive way way easier.

Now in regards to slow mapped drive speeds they suggest in their support section that the slow speeds can be cause by a setting in IE's internet options. It would be worth a shot trying their suggestion to see if that improves the speed even without using their software.

Here's the link (http://www.gladinet.com/gladwiki/moin.cgi/Solving_Common_Problems#SlowResponse)

To quickly outline their suggestion,
Open Internet Options in IE, "Tools"> "Internet Options"
Click the "Connections" tab, then "LAN Settings"
Uncheck "Automatically detect settings"

Worth a try since it's super quick and easy :)

brokenmachine