PDA

View Full Version : Eliminating Signatures/Links for all New Members

Vicenarian
11-16-2010, 04:53 PM
Just a thought (somebody probably mentioned this already but anyway), it might be a good idea to disable signatures and all link embedding for members under a certain post count.

And/or, have a system, whereby when people sign up for the forum, their account must be manually approved by an admin/mod. No more email confirmations, as anybody can get past these.

Also...maybe have some sort of quiz people have to take (and score a certain percentage on) before they can sign up on these forums. Sort of a basic computer technology quiz, that end users wouldn't be able to pass, but any basic technician should be able to. Questions like:

- Which two of the following are standardized hard drive interfaces:
1) IDE
2) BIOS
3) SATA
3) RJ45

- What are two standardized ATX specification motherboard power connectors:
1) 28 Pin
2) 22 Pin
3) 24 Pin
4) 20 Pin

etc...just something to weed out the end users and spammers.

muncherw
11-16-2010, 05:54 PM
1) 28 Pin
2) 22 Pin
3) 24 Pin
4) 20 Pin

Should I know this? I totally wouldn't have been able to sign up. I googled it so I know now. You aren't going to start making me count things are you?

Corbin
11-16-2010, 05:59 PM
I thought there was a signature link deal until you passed a certain time, and as for a quiz its been talked about, and shot down in the past. I do agree on locking the option to link to another page no matter where your post is until you hit the 5 day mark. But that's why the first post must be in the intro board so us senior members can help the admin and filter out the ugly stuff. Its just a little way we can all pay back to the community.

Question wise if we did have them I would pick questions like

What is a desktop computer called?
1. CPU
2. Desktop Computer
3. Laptop/Notebook
4. Compaq

Appletax
11-16-2010, 06:12 PM
Question wise if we did have them I would pick questions like

What is a desktop computer called?
1. CPU
2. Desktop Computer
3. Laptop/Notebook
4. Compaq

I guess #4 /s :p

..~ladeeda~.

Winchester Computer Care
11-16-2010, 08:48 PM
Should I know this? I totally wouldn't have been able to sign up. I googled it so I know now.

Seriously? At first I thought Vicenarian's suggestion was a load of elitist BS, especially considering I'm a relatively new member myself....now I'm thinking it might be a good idea.

Bobbing
11-16-2010, 09:45 PM
Just a thought (somebody probably mentioned this already but anyway), it might be a good idea to disable signatures and all link embedding for members under a certain post count.

And/or, have a system, whereby when people sign up for the forum, their account must be manually approved by an admin/mod. No more email confirmations, as anybody can get past these.

Also...maybe have some sort of quiz people have to take (and score a certain percentage on) before they can sign up on these forums. Sort of a basic computer technology quiz, that end users wouldn't be able to pass, but any basic technician should be able to. Questions like:

- Which two of the following are standardized hard drive interfaces:
1) IDE
2) BIOS
3) SATA
3) RJ45

1) 28 Pin
2) 22 Pin
3) 24 Pin
4) 20 Pin

etc...just something to weed out the end users and spammers.

I like the idea of trying to weed out new users, but that would not work since anyone can Google for the answers newb or not.

muncherw
11-17-2010, 01:07 AM
Seriously? At first I thought Vicenarian's suggestion was a load of elitist BS, especially considering I'm a relatively new member myself....now I'm thinking it might be a good idea.

*shrug* I've never once needed to know how many pins those connectors have.

Winchester Computer Care
11-17-2010, 04:45 AM
*shrug* I've never once needed to know how many pins those connectors have.

You do realize you just admitted to having no idea how to look at a motherboard and tell what type of power supply to use with it or visa-versa...right? If you can't do something that basic how can you possibly claim to be a tech?

Definitely not someone I (or anyone with any good sense) would want working on my equipment...just sayin'

callthatgirl
11-17-2010, 05:01 AM
You do realize you just admitted to having no idea how to look at a motherboard and tell what type of power supply to use with it or visa-versa...right? If you can't do something that basic how can you possibly claim to be a tech?

I fully admit to not knowing jack squat about motherboards/pins/capped mobo's (well, I know now what to look for thanks to TN members!), that doesn't mean that I'm a bad technician. I'm just not specialized in that area of repair. I don't take those calls nor do I even try. I outsource it to a guy that does them and does them well.

Winchester, the last time I saw a thread with someone cutting down another techician based on technical abilities and what is considered a "real tech" in a forum, it turned into a thread battle and one of the guys asked to have his account deleted (or he got banned, not sure how that really ended) There are no winners, we are here to help each other. Since you are new, just sayin'.

callthatgirl
11-17-2010, 05:04 AM
And a comment about the OP's question. Everyone has a choice on what link to click here. I did see some strange ones in the introduction forum and they were reported.

Crgky127
11-17-2010, 07:20 AM
A min post count of 5 or 10 would be ok for blatant spammers. It wouldn't stop them making the post, but it would stop the google juice flowing. People with high post counts making advertisements in disguise can't really be helped. That said, this crowd has better BS filters than most, so it shouldn't be much of a problem.

A quiz simply won't work, as computer repair is such a ridiculously wide field.

MrUnknown
11-17-2010, 09:55 AM

Definitely not someone I (or anyone with any good sense) would want working on my equipment...just sayin'

Most PSUs have connectors that work on any remotely recent system. I know the numbers, but it really isn't that important.

iptech
11-17-2010, 10:12 AM
Just do away with signatures altogether, they're too often used for SEO spamming and advertising with the consequence of trivia being posted just to up exposure.

MrUnknown
11-17-2010, 02:50 PM
They also tend to be used for insulting other users.

Xander
11-17-2010, 03:24 PM
Really? I've had the display of sigs turned off for ages. You mean I could have been more entertained this whole time?

iptech
11-17-2010, 04:03 PM
That's great, that means every post by an offender should attract a strike then! :cool:

MrUnknown
11-17-2010, 04:07 PM
That's great, that means every post by an offender should attract a strike then! :cool:

Possibly, I think the tolerance given is pretty amazing, but I am not a mod.

callthatgirl
11-17-2010, 04:38 PM
I'm all for the signatures, been here a year now and I get 400+ hits a month from the TN crew. It's a great way to share information off the forums. Many ask to borrow info off my blogs, terms and conditions and affiliate information. It's a benefit of TN to have it, and for those that hate it, turn off signature viewing, it's quite simple. As well, I like to check out signatures/websites in return. It's a great way to learn how others are marketing themselves and many of these members, I have communicated with off TN to work on a small projects. Some I have even called up to just chit chat about a certain discussion thread. Not everyone chooses to use PM. Some I have helped with on technical calls too and some have helped me with things I need help with.

If you give you get, if you don't care, don't participate. That's my new signature!

And my final thought, Bryce runs this board--and it runs pretty good as is, if you don't like someone or how things are run, start your own forum or find another one that suites your needs.

Crgky127
11-17-2010, 07:08 PM
And my final thought, Bryce runs this board--and it runs pretty good as is, if you don't like someone or how things are run, start your own forum or find another one that suites your needs.

To be fair, there is a Requests and Suggestions section for a reason.

Corbin
11-17-2010, 07:24 PM
There nothing wrong with getting SEO from sigs, we need to stay on the topic of what the OP said. We already have things in place to sort out the spam users, it works pretty good, all you do is take 5 seconds and report it. The only issue we have is filtering out the endusers, that is where us members come into play buy directing the endusers to alternate sources or not replying to them at all. The way most endusers find this place is very easy just google search a issue and if has been talked about here TN is usually the top 5, there are ways to stop it form happening, but if that was the case I would have never found TN and lurked it from 3 years ago, and I assume that's the case with a good chunk of the members here.

The forum is set up perfect, it's ran great, there will always be holes no matter what is done, unless you all want to pay for a membership then its a guarantee to have no spam or endusers, but then its also a guarantee we would be at less then 25% of what the forum is now.

If having links in our sigs is a bad thing then it will be in the rules saying so, or a admin would come down on it if it is bad enough.

callthatgirl
11-17-2010, 07:28 PM
To be fair, there is a Requests and Suggestions section for a reason.

Fair enough! But as usual, the topic changes, so I opted to add in my opinion on the change and why they should stay as is. Benefits! This forum is great.

Vicenarian
11-17-2010, 07:35 PM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/funny-pictures-cat-is-innocent-and-hurt.jpg

dbdawn
11-17-2010, 07:38 PM
I have signatures and avatars turned off, fixes the problem. As far as posts that seem like end users, I have stopped responding to them.