PDA

View Full Version : USB key protection cleaning infected system

juiceman39
03-28-2008, 04:46 AM
what do you use to protect your USB thumb drive when you plug it into
an infected PC. I dont have a write protection switch on mine.

Jory
03-28-2008, 05:59 AM
It's been a long time since I heard of a virus that spread via overwriting executables, and even if they were still common I doubt you're going to have anything on there they're likely to be infecting.

You should be safe, and even if you're not an anti-virus should detect any viruses anyway. I'm constantly updating my thumb drive so I can't imagine anything spreading that way.

tech guy
06-26-2014, 06:53 PM
Free usb encryption software, anti virus that automacially runs when usb is plugged in, or install a linux os with windows virus removers onto the usb,boot linux os first scan computer then your usb should be fine

Eagle21
06-27-2014, 03:19 AM
what do you use to protect your USB thumb drive when you plug it into
an infected PC. I dont have a write protection switch on mine.

You answered your own question. ;)

mlfixer
06-27-2014, 02:32 PM
You should get a write protected flash drive, you can pick up reasonably priced 8gb Kanguru USB 3.0 flash drive on Amazon. I was able to pack it with all the major tools via Yumi (including about 8 anti virus rescue disks).

8gb to 16gb is probably a good size. For virus removal you don't need anything bigger. Your other tools needed post-infection can be on standard non-protected and larger drives (ie 128gb etc).

MLFIXER

LifelineIT
06-27-2014, 02:39 PM
Heh, what gets me more than anything is forgetting to disable their antivirus before I plug mine in, and then having it flag things like D7, or pstview, rkill, and those kinds of programs.

nlinecomputers
06-27-2014, 02:52 PM
Heh, what gets me more than anything is forgetting to disable their antivirus before I plug mine in, and then having it flag things like D7, or pstview, rkill, and those kinds of programs.

This. I've had a few of the more aggressive ones take out programs on my flash drive without even asking. Yes I'm looking at you McAfee. System is completely pwnd by the real virus but the damn worthless AV takes out the cleaning tools. :rolleyes: