PDA

View Full Version : Job Attire?

TheUrge
03-28-2008, 01:17 AM
It's sounds like a silly question, but I'm getting ready to get my business going and wanted to know what you guys wear when you go to a job?

Do you wear a shirt and tie, or do you wear a polo shirt with say a company logo on it? I was thinking about getting some polo's made up with my company logo, but I'm not sure if maybe it would be better to just go the shirt and tie route instead.

geekhelp4u
03-28-2008, 01:37 AM
i usually just wear ass less chaps when i go to a clients.

j/k

Usually i wear jeans, a nice shirt, and tennis shoes... i find that tennis shoes help reduce static build up when i walk across their carpet.

I dont mean the casual white tennis shoe... i wear a nice pair of dark brown shoes that almost look like dress shoes.

gunslinger
03-28-2008, 02:42 AM
Most times I ware jeans and a fairly nice shirt, and black hiking boots. Its a very rural area here.

Jory
03-28-2008, 05:10 AM
Personally I just wear jeans with a polo shirt most of the time. I'd say jeans are an absolute must since you're likely to be on your knees crawling around underneath desks and whatnot. Khakis just show the dirt too much and are hard to clean. I'm probably going to order some polos with my company name stitched on them.

If I have known the client for a while I might show up in a t-shirt, but I wouldn't do so until they know I'm competent and professional.

For sales calls a tie probably wouldn't hurt, but I wouldn't wear a jacket unless you represent more people that just yourself. I'd rather not give people the impression that I'm a salesman.

Bryce W
03-28-2008, 08:22 AM
Dress shoes, jeans and a nice collared business shirt (usually dark colored).

Blues
03-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Khakis or jeans so long as thier a nice pair of pants and a button up shirt or a polo depending on weather. I wouldn't worry much about getting branded shirts unless you have a store front and/or multiple people who work for you. I wear dark shoes I have two pairs which are not too dressy but plenty nice. Don't forget the hair guys you don't need to look like you crawled out of bed to make it there even if you did just that. I think with as much you may be talking to the clients brushing your teeth and keeping mints and/or gum can be good through out the day. Yes most this should be common sense but hey what can we say some people don't get it. I do have a few people I can show up in a t-shirt for and lookin like I crawled out of bed but most the time if I do that they called that day and I had time.

bishop
03-28-2008, 01:39 PM
Jeans and casual shirt for home visits. Slacks and shirt for business calls. Sometimes a suit if it's a call about managed services.

03-28-2008, 02:04 PM
I opted to get polo shirts with our logo. Otherwise, we wear those, khakis (very rarely jeans and a logo'd t-shirt, depending on the job) and decent looking tennis shoes.

Simmy
03-28-2008, 07:41 PM
I wear black shoes and trousers and a dark blue polo shirt with my company name written on it.

I hate wearing a shirt and tie, which is one of the reasons I became my own boss. I could never feel comfortable/relaxed when wearing a tie. I'm only forced to wear one when my mum shouts at me when we go for a family meal.

twistedpear
04-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Hello all...
The VERY BEST advice... is to brand yourself. Get a name and logo.. and stick with it. Put it on some nice polo style shirts. If it gets cold where you live/work, put it on a nice fleece pullover or whatever you like to where. I cant tell you how many times Ive been stopped and asked what about my services because of this. I have what I think is a pretty cool company name, and I had an artist design a great logo that really sticks out. I also had the full color logos and lettering put all over my truck. People are always telling me.. "I saw your truck yesterday at so-and-so... "
Its kind of like McDonalds. You want your people to think if YOU, the next time they think of getting their systems worked on, much like McD's is synonymous with burgers. Its because their advertising is in your face ALL THE TIME !
My next step is to get some t-shirts made up... and give the first batch away. People LOVE free stuff !!! The cheerleaders at my son's school will shoot them into the crowd for you at football and basketball games !! :)
Im kind if running off the subject.. but... BRAND YOURSELF !!!

Keith
Twisted Pear Systems, LLC

MHCG
04-10-2008, 03:28 PM
I agree, I had a designer draw my logo. I have cut vinyl graphics on my car, business cards, shirts, and refrigerator magnets all with the same branding. When you see my car, you know who I am and what I do.

syst3merror
04-10-2008, 10:20 PM
before doing this, I owned a vinyl decal shop so I still have my vinyl machine and tons of material so I make all my own banners, decals for the vechicles, and stickers for peoples cases. Every customer I work on gets a decal to place on their tower/vehicle and I give a 10% discount to anyone I work for that has a decal on their vehicle.

As for attire, I dress in black jeans, black dressy shoes and a greenish yellow polo shirt with my logo embroidered on it.

MHCG
04-10-2008, 10:26 PM
Whenever I do a job, I put a printed label on the bottom of their laptop or back of their tower. The label has my logo, website, phone number and email address.

syst3merror
04-11-2008, 12:52 AM
I've thought about using a small program to change the computer system properties to say "Repaired and Maintained by:" with my logo and info. Do you think customers would be ticked?

MHCG
04-11-2008, 02:52 AM
Heh, I asked my wife the same thing a couple months back and she said she'd be pissed because she has no idea how to change it back.

syst3merror
04-11-2008, 04:22 AM
I kept thinking the SAME thing MHCG. I was thinking, Ok, now if I do this and they find it and don't like it, how mad will they be that they don't know how to change it.

I think I will stick to the case/window decals. I had also thought about using bgInfo to add my info on their desktop before leaving.

gunslinger
04-11-2008, 04:47 AM
Actually I think this already came up a while back. I think most of us agreed that its a bit tacky. If I built the system and provided a warenty I might do it.

darren1270
04-11-2008, 05:58 AM
I do change the OEM info stuff if the computer is definitely out of warranty. Along with putting my sticker on the back of the case. Have refrigerator magnets as well to give to my customers. I'm a hat guy and will be getting hats with my logo as well as polo shirts.

Blues
04-11-2008, 01:37 PM
If you are the OEM by all means tag that SoB hell no one minds when they buy a Dell that the name Dell is slapped all over it. What I asked my friend about and he said he would be fine with is adding your contact information into the support field but leaving all the original infomation there assuming space would allow.

Nathan H
04-11-2008, 09:10 PM
I put my info in the OEM Info,

No customers have ever objected or complained, the opposite in fact.

I have had a few calls from previous customers (i done some work 3 years ago for them) when i asked where they heard of my they said my details were on their pc so they called me first.......

If I do any hardware work it place a security seal over the case.
It leaves the word void when removed.

If its tampered with my warranty is void. after all if the seal is broke they could have tampered with the hardware.

A few people on this site have had a moan about me doing this, but frankly as they are not my employer not a paying customer i don't care.
I figured if i looked at their business practices i could find something to moan about also. lol....

I wear a suit, tie Dress shoes, highly polished for all my first visits, (First impressions count) then for a subsequent visit(s) its Dress trousers, Company polo T-shirt (Embroided with my company name) and Dress shoes, highly polished.

Blues
04-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Nathan I only go on what people tell me they think of it and these people are not techs and so far it is around 2/5 for who say it would bother them. That number is too high for me to agree to that practice of branding a machine that you only repaired. If we look at Bryce's recent article about servicing apartments if you upset 2/5 of 800 then you just lost 320 customers. You would be left with the majority but thats a big loss. I am not saying to quit just explaining why I lean away from it. I will say I like the warranty void seal thats not a bad idea since people like to try and get a free meal when they see one.

zatblast
04-14-2008, 05:38 PM
i'm no professional such as you all are, but the branding thing sounds like something you could ask them if they would like it..

Would you like me to place easy-contact information on yoru computer, in case it should need repaired?

if they say yes, then brand it... maybe even put a sticker on it..

<<just my thoughts, sorry for breaking in to the conversation

jamesejr7
08-12-2008, 06:04 AM
I also like to wear shoe covers when I go on-site (they look goofy but its better than getting my client's house dirty) and I dont like to take my shoes off either so it works well for me :) I get 50 pairs for like 7 bucks.:D

Crgky127
08-13-2008, 04:14 AM
www.scottevest.com - awesome site

bmetman
09-02-2008, 10:29 PM
Usually khakis and polo shirt especially with sales visits or new customers. If the customer is a regular it may be jeans and a polo. Nothing fancy.