PDA

View Full Version : Xp Reinstall Help

gpapania
03-28-2008, 12:04 AM
:confused: Hi Nibblers! Question, I get in xp home computers all the time and usually take my sweet time fixing all the files ect. But I get the customers that want their drives formatted and xp put back on. They do have legit pc's with the xp home tags on the outside of their cpu's. But almost all don't have the xp home cd. I just bought a new full one for this purpose but I wish to do it legal. Is there a way to load my new xp home on their newly formatted drive and use their xp home tag on the outside of the cpu? Or is there a way to get their legal key before I do the format? I don't want to load my xp with my key code on their machines. Any help is very much appreciated. Wish I knew about this site sooner.
George :confused:

MHCG
03-28-2008, 12:31 AM
The XP home license you bought is a retail license. They have OEM licenses, so AFAIK you can't use their key to install your CD. I'm certain there is a way to modify the installation media to make it look like it is an OEM install disk, but I haven't really looked into it.

If you can find an OEM install media you can use their good key.

You can pull old keys off of their computer before a format. http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

otto
03-28-2008, 03:01 AM
When we get a customer pc's that needs reloaded and the product key is on the pc...We use a windows xp cd (xp home oem) to load the o.s. using their key. As long as the XP O.S. CD is the proper version (home / pro / Volume etc). Sometimes SP1 / SP2 makes a difference but I find that the O.S. CD (oem or ms factory full price) doesn't matter. Microsoft doesn't care where the cd you loaded came from just as long as the product key is valid & only on 1 pc.

Jory
03-28-2008, 06:01 AM
You more than likely need to find their correct OEM disk. Their license sticker should give you most/all the information you need to find the right one. If you do a search I think there is an article on this site that helps you identify which version you need.

syst3merror
03-28-2008, 06:03 AM
if it is an oem license, you can use any windows xp oem disc (non-branded) and install using their license. It doesn't matter if its a Dell oem, compaq oem, hp oem, etc., as long as it is an oem license, just install using a windows oem disc.

gpapania
03-28-2008, 07:08 PM
The magicjellybean ,and the oem "for distrubution with pc only" dell works perfect and is legal as long as 1 install and 1 key only per computer.
Thanks Again!:D

pmcross
10-06-2008, 06:11 PM
try magic jelly bean it will give you OS key 99% of the time.

bagellad
10-19-2008, 06:30 AM
Thankfully for the "Major" brand computers you can usually burn yourself another recovery cd and do it.. Unless the hard drive is dead of course then it gets a little awkward.. I ran into a situation where you could only make one recovery cd but thankfully Technibble and its knowledgable members knew a way around that!

ithinkyou5.0
10-20-2008, 02:18 PM
there are programs you can use to get the key. i wont mention them here as im not sure how legal they actualy are but im sure you can find them using your google fu.