PDA

View Full Version : Superantispyware; Quick Scan "Good Enough"?

iladelf
03-26-2008, 05:41 PM
Howdy everyone,

Just wanted folks to know that I have been experimenting with using Superantispyware, specifically using the "Quick" scan feature vs. the "Complete" scan feature on spyware cleanups. From my experience, this SHARPLY reduces scan times, from 40-60 minutes to 10-15, and would say that, so far, the Quick scan seems to remove all spyware issues, ergo no need to run the Complete scan.

Reason I mention this is because we all know time is money; the faster we can get a repair done, the faster we can move on to the next customer. I'd say that this repair tip alone has slashed nearly an hour off my spyware cleanup times, from 3 down to 2, even on the worst infestations. Some I can complete in an hour, depending on what else the customer wants done.

Just want to see what other's experiences have been like. Look forward to your posts.

gunslinger
03-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Honestly I have not used Superantispyware. But I would say that if the 10-15 min scan wont do it, the computer needs to come back to the shop. I carry a few spyware/virus scanners on my USB drive. I'll normaly run 2 or 3 of them and if the machine is still badly infected I'll ask to take it back with me.

jamesbhp
03-27-2008, 04:20 AM
I honestly prefer bringing the system back onto our site and doing full scans. You end up spending a few hours idle scanning and only able to charge around 3hrs worth of labor, but you won't end up with the possibility of it not being fully clean and biting you in the rear later on. I've seen several techs take shortcuts only to waste endless time performing free warranty jobs; "ala, best buy style scanning.." Generally if you tell the client that if you stay on site to do scans, you have no choice but to charge every single second you are there versus you charging a minimum adequate fee; say 3 hrs or so; dependent of course on how much your hour rate is to start with, most will be more than happy to part with their system for the lower rates. With the system back at your office and scanning away, you can jump on other jobs.

evilfantasy
03-27-2008, 04:55 AM
SUPERAntiSpyware is an excellent scanner, but I wouldn't feel comfortable in clearing a system with just a quick scan.

lazzo71
03-31-2008, 04:41 AM
I generally do a quick scan, at the moment it's AVGAS. If it detects an unusual number of hits, I explain to the customer that a more in depth scan is required and if it's done on-site, they will be charged for every hour in front of the PC. At least this way, they can see the results of the scan and make up their minds if they want me to take it away, do it there or even have it done at all.