PDA

View Full Version : Ultra VNC Help

JJsMom
03-26-2008, 12:47 AM
I wanted to step up in assisting others remotely. I downloaded Ultra VNC and have looked at the instructions over and over again. Does anyone have any dumbed down instructions that are a little more user friendly. I have yet to be able to connect to anyone. Thanks in advance.

03-26-2008, 02:12 AM
In a nutshell, here's how VNC works:

The person you'd be helping needs to have the server installed on their system. It needs to be configured to either allow all connections (BAD!) or allow only certain users with a password (marginally better).
Once the server software is installed on their computer, you need to have their public IP address (if you're helping across the internet) or their lan ip address, if you're in the same building as them. This can be tricky if they're behind a router, because with the router, you either need to enable port forwarding to their computer or you need to install some kind of vpn software (Hamachi works great for this, www.hamachi.cc) to pass traffic through the router to their computer.

Once you have all that, the ultra vnc client is run on your computer. You type in their public ip address, or the address through your vpn, and then your user name and password to log in to their vnc server.

It's honestly not as hard as that probably sounds...if you have specific problems, I can probably give you a better idea on what to do.

Jory
03-26-2008, 04:14 AM
If you're not comfortable with setting up a VNC server and bypassing firewalls you could always use something like CrossLoop which makes it extremely easy. The person you're helping will need to be at the computer to grant you access though. It's not for having 24/7 access to a customers computer for maintenance contracts, etc.