PDA

View Full Version : Vonage (Or other VOIP recommendations?) - Time taken to port number?

Simmy
11-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Lo all :)

I'm in the middle of moving offices but the new office is in a different area code. To keep my current number, I need to transfer it to VOIP. I don't want to use BT if possible as their CS has been shocking.

We want to transfer the number to vonage (or any other recommended VOIP company) but apparantly it takes 10 days to port the number across. My question is, will the phone number be unreachable for all of those 10 days?

edgepcs
11-01-2010, 08:37 PM
I use Vonage but they weren't able to transfer my number when I moved from Skype (Kept dropping calls) so I had to start again. :mad:
But ever since they have been brilliant, it is easy to set up and administer my line.

Simmy
11-01-2010, 09:40 PM
what do you mean you had to start again - as in you lost the number?! :eek:

edgepcs
11-02-2010, 12:10 PM
Yeah was such a pain.
Skype numbers are terrible. It was costing me about 20 per month in redirect calls and half of them would never reach me. :mad:
I decided to bite the bullet and change numbers. I mailed all of my clients letting them know the change although I never heard from some of them again. Was a little quiet for a while but then things went back to normal thankfully.

lassenpc
11-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Used Vonage for almost 10 years, 5 of those with the business, fairly reliable. Would get complaint from reoccurring customers once awhile that they would call and get a msg, 'This # no longer in service' ??

Switched to Nextiva (Don't know if they are available on your side of the pond) a few months ago for the reliability concerns, and more options (multiple extensions, outside extensions, multiple lines, all with Cisco phones). Took 3 weeks, was not without our Main phone # during any of it.

They send out the hardware, you have it hooked up and ready / 'on' with a temp # before they throw 'the switch'; once they do, your new phone hardware / service rings instead of the old. Requires basic / intermediate networking skills to program / setup. CS very easy to work with, quick to answer phone, pleasant. Nice change over Vonage.

bytes
11-02-2010, 06:52 PM
I used to work for Vonage years ago when they first opened. I will say they have come a long way. The service seems to be better. In order to port your number over. You have to pay for both services until your number ports. LNP (local number portablity) used to be a nightmare. Seems like they have things under control now.

PC ONSITE
11-19-2010, 10:03 PM
Hi Simmy,

Are you thinking of keeping the number with a voip provider for some time?

Here is a link to a good telecoms company based in bath that I have used for myself and my clients.

http://www.gradwell.com/

regards

Rob