PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy stock/misc parts for your shop?

MMAUY
03-24-2008, 10:07 PM
I do not have a resellers permit but I am wondering, were you guys would advise me to buy some general stuff to have around , cd/dvd drives, hard drives, power supplies, mouse/keyboard and such? I have been using geeks.com what do you guys use?

geekhelp4u
03-24-2008, 10:44 PM
I use geeks.com, tigerdirect.com, ebay, garage sales, amazon, microcenter, and I also dispose of old computers for clients and get many used parts off of them!

SDPCM
03-24-2008, 11:20 PM
i'm a fan of newegg.com -- they ship quickly, have great prices, and often have in-depth reviews on the item from the community

Jory
03-24-2008, 11:38 PM
Newegg is always a good choice. I've ordered tons of stuff and never had a problem their customer service didn't handle. I sometimes check prices against some of the other big online retailers and usually newegg is the cheapest once you account for shipping.

If you're dealing in enough volume do a search for "computer parts wholesaler YOUR STATE". Also Bryce wrote an article about how he found his wholesaler so you might want to check that out too.

Bryce W
03-25-2008, 06:38 AM
Although Geeks.com, Newegg.com and TigerDirect.com arent what you would call "true" computer wholesalers, I find that they are often cheaper than proper wholesalers. I have a few "direct to public" suppliers that are cheaper than my wholesalers on some items. This is usually because they are direct connections with manufacturers in China/Taiwan, this cutting out the middle man supplier and getting it to you cheaper.

I dont buy from Newegg.com myself (mainly because they arent in my country) but I find the communty reviews valueable. They are exteamly knowlegable about the hardware knowing about the little things that matter to us technicans. Newegg.com is a great source.

mh348
03-25-2008, 08:22 AM
Here in South Africa I have reseller accounts with a few wholesalers, I get most of my stuff from them. I also get parts from a bidorbuy, a south african site like ebay (only much smaller).

There are quite a few other wholesalers that, but they require that you be a registered business. I'm just waiting on my accountant to register the business and I can open more accounts.

mityay
03-25-2008, 05:30 PM
I dont buy from Newegg.com myself (mainly because they arent in my country) but I find the communty reviews valueable. They are exteamly knowlegable about the hardware knowing about the little things that matter to us technicans. Newegg.com is a great source.

I would love to buy from them but I live too close to them so they slap an 8.5% tax on everything I buy. What a shame! I love their store though.

Blues
03-25-2008, 07:01 PM
8.5% I wish it was that low in TN we pay 9.25% I think someone correct me if I am wrong. Hell they only work out of 3 States I believe CA, TN, and then I forget the 3rd.

mh348
03-25-2008, 08:04 PM
Here in South Africa We Pay 14%.

Nathan H
03-26-2008, 03:37 PM
8.5% & 9.25%, what are you guys moaning about, that rate would be great for us Brits...

In the UK we pay a whopping 17.5% tax

Is is really silly at times, for example if you are a limited company, we have to pay tax on our profits as well as everything we buy, then we pay tax on the wages we give our staff,... Now for some more silly stuff, the employee has to pay tax on the wages we give Him/Her (Which we have already paid tax on)

If we buy a car we pay tax on it, the we have an additional road tax, then we pay 1.04 per litre of fuel, and then some of our roads have tolls on Oswell, what mugs we are to live here......

jj2000
03-26-2008, 06:42 PM
for some cheap gas :D:D 1.09 a litre at my local garage in newcastle under lyme.
we must be plain stupid to live here.
:(:(:(

Blues
03-26-2008, 07:03 PM
What does 1.09 convert to in USD and I know that our sales tax in TN is infact low but hell it just makes his complaint of 8.5% even less valid.

hawks5999
03-26-2008, 07:34 PM
$2.19
litre = US gallons 0.2642

so 1.09 pounds per litre = $8.289/gal

bishop
03-27-2008, 03:19 AM
21% here in Ireland

ootuoyetahi
04-17-2008, 08:15 PM
8.5% I wish it was that low in TN we pay 9.25% I think someone correct me if I am wrong. Hell they only work out of 3 States I believe CA, TN, and then I forget the 3rd.

The third is NJ.

chumby
04-17-2008, 09:03 PM
Greece is only 19% tax and 7$ a gallon for gas..... we are very fortunate!

Andyuk2007
04-21-2008, 07:06 PM
do any of you have any good uk wholesalers for comp related stuff as ive been looking through a wholesale directory but the wholesalers i go too well there prices are not exactly wholesale, more like retail :(

jj2000
04-21-2008, 07:11 PM
hey andy
welcome to my world :D:D:D
seriously though if you find a decent wholesale supply let me know as all the ones i have tried have been no cheaper than retail and thats when they have the goods i want.

i personally use Ebay alot and Ebuyer as well i find that they dont work out any dearer than most of the wholesale outlets and for the small guy like me thats a bonus.:D:D

Andyuk2007
04-21-2008, 07:15 PM
hey andy
welcome to my world :D:D:D
seriously though if you find a decent wholesale supply let me know as all the ones i have tried have been no cheaper than retail and thats when they have the goods i want.

i personally use Ebay alot and Ebuyer as well i find that they dont work out any dearer than most of the wholesale outlets and for the small guy like me thats a bonus.:D:D

Yeah I'll do that but the ones ive looked at so far are crap :( what i wanna know is where do the big companies get there stock from and able to sell them at proper retail prices ? thats what we small fish need too :p

jj2000
04-21-2008, 07:38 PM
what i wanna know is where do the big companies get there stock from and able to sell them at proper retail prices
god only knows but i think its a probably a matter of scale that we will never be able to match.
i mean i only buy most items a few at a time not hundreds or thousands like some of the big boys.