PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Network Jumps Automatically

Pc Fixed Right
03-23-2008, 06:33 PM
I had a client call and tell me that they have a wireless network setup with a wep code. Client says that the wireless card jumps from network to network in the neighborhood. Anyone have any thoughts as to why a wireless card would jump networks when it is setup with only the clients network with a wep code?

:confused:

03-23-2008, 10:30 PM
Have they ever "borrowed" wireless access from neighbors? The only thing I could think of is that it was connected to a few other networks at times and they're in a list of trusted networks in the Windows wireless settings.

Pc Fixed Right
03-24-2008, 03:10 AM
I had the client remove all other networks from the list click apply than okay but it the wireless card still jumps to other networks.

lazzo71
03-25-2008, 08:49 AM
Is there specific software for the wireless router ie: Belkin, Netgear? If so, you may have to change the profile in the software to only search for the specified network and no others.

Jory
03-26-2008, 04:11 AM
You might want to make sure he's not losing connection to his wireless router. If that's happening his computer is probably automatically doing a survey and connecting to a open access point.

MHCG
03-26-2008, 05:03 AM
I would ask them if they recently got any new electronic devices that transmit in the 2.4Ghz range. The wifi band is crowded and they may be just losing connection because they're jamming their own signal. Have them change their channel and see if the problem continues.

I had a customer have a problem very similar and I tried to help for a week with the problem over email until they finally mentioned that they lose a connection every time someone uses the microwave. I had them move the wireless access point, problem solved.