PDA

View Full Version : Windows All in one disc

syst3merror
03-21-2008, 11:02 PM
does anyone know how to make these? I have seen them on different sites for download, but I'm not about to touch these because it's hard telling what is in them that might be installed on my/my customers computers.

I have multiple install cds of windows but I hate to carry around my originals with me (might get scratched from bad cd drive, broken, FORGOTTEN!! ).

I would like to put maybe 6 versions of windows onto one cd to carry with me but I have NO clue how to do it. I've tried a program already that was SUPPOSE to do it, but it seen windows home oem and windows home upgrade as the same thing and just skipped one of them.

03-22-2008, 03:52 AM
Here's a guide on how to do it using MagicISO.
http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-create-multi-os-cd.htm

So, basically....if you want to have a few versions of XP on the system.....repeat the steps for XP as needed, but name your files and folders differently...like they say to use iWXP, but you could use iXHF (for XP Home Full) and iXHU (for the Home upgrade)...and then just edit the files as directed to point them to the place you want them to go.
That seems like it'd work for me, because if I remember right, the install runs from the i386 folder on each cd, anyway. I might give it a shot, myself, if I have some time to kill one day.

syst3merror
03-22-2008, 07:22 AM
only thing is, I'm trying to find a way to optimize the cd so that it doesn't fill so much space. I know there is a way to make it remove all the duplicate files to save space. I have seen 9 in 1 discs that still fit on a cdr but yet 1 cd rip of windows xp pro is 700 mb? I have to figure something out. :(

thor999
08-11-2008, 04:59 AM
wouldn't a USB external DVD drive help at all? I'd say 99% of the computers thrown at me have USB 1.0 minimal...

MHCG
08-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Seems like a waste of time to me. CDs are cheap, just burn copies of your CDs if you're worried about damaging the original.

Crgky127
08-12-2008, 05:15 AM
And burn copies once every 2-3 years anyway.

geekhelp4u
08-12-2008, 11:15 PM
I agree with the CD idea as the best way to go. I have had a few instances where my disk was broken or scratched and would not work.. in these cases, I have an ISO folder on my c drive with all of my disks for quick burn!

cleanwithit
09-01-2008, 08:18 PM
I too agree with the above given idea.

x2, I keep a folder too.

focuz
09-02-2008, 03:59 AM
While their is ways to create all in one cds, it can get very confusion if you ever need to use the recovery console or need specific files that need to be restored. Its much easier and faster to just keep cd copies of the individual os.

thor999
09-03-2008, 06:20 AM
Hey I heard Microsoft is forced to post downloadable iso's of their operating system, but like to shift it around as much as possible to thwart our efforts... what do you guys know of this?

geekhelp4u
09-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Hey I heard Microsoft is forced to post downloadable iso's of their operating system, but like to shift it around as much as possible to thwart our efforts... what do you guys know of this?

never heard of this... wish it was true... but I am sure google would have page cached it if it was!

xxsilk109xx
11-24-2009, 03:54 PM
I use one and I love it, it has 9 different versions of windows xp on it

topshelfpc
11-24-2009, 11:42 PM
I would suggest looking into a technet subscription. Very valuable resource. You get access to all software and keys for "testing" purposes.

NWPhotog
11-25-2009, 12:11 AM
I would shy away from using torrent downloads on customer's computers. In fact I would recommend against ever doing it. :)

SMocek
11-25-2009, 01:02 AM
I would suggest looking into a technet subscription. Very valuable resource. You get access to all software and keys for "testing" purposes.

+1 for this. I been a Technet subscriber for years. Great for training yourself if nothing else.

Stan Mocek

PcTek9
11-25-2009, 08:50 AM
I'm not sure I understand, do you mean like a cd with the i386 folders from each os? Just the cab files, or compressed files you need to install each of 9 versions? Or is this something special that maybe belongs on a dvd/rom ? 4.3 gb instead of 720 mb ?

MrUnknown
11-25-2009, 10:54 AM
I'm not sure I understand, do you mean like a cd with the i386 folders from each os? Just the cab files, or compressed files you need to install each of 9 versions? Or is this something special that maybe belongs on a dvd/rom ? 4.3 gb instead of 720 mb ?

The 9-in-1 CD uses hard linking like the Vista and 7 DVDs do to include every version. So all common files are only stored once on the CD. The botloader lets you choose which one you want.

NWPhotog
11-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Search is your friend. This has been discussed extensively with the conclusion that it is not a good idea to use on customer's computers.

Fixedathome.com
11-25-2009, 04:14 PM

Technet versions will not work for retail or OEM installs though, unless modified.

MrUnknown
11-25-2009, 05:28 PM
Technet versions will not work for retail or OEM installs though, unless modified.

you sure about this? I have used a Vista DVD I got from TechNet to reinstall Windows on a couple of computers and don't recall having any problems other than having to call in to activate.

Fixedathome.com
11-25-2009, 09:54 PM
you sure about this? I have used a Vista DVD I got from TechNet to reinstall Windows on a couple of computers and don't recall having any problems other than having to call in to activate.

My bad, getting mixed up with Action pack isos :rolleyes:

Jory
11-25-2009, 10:34 PM
You're both right. The Technet versions of XP are retail and typically don't do computer technicians much good because we mainly work on OEM machines. However Vista disks for the most part are all identical and you can use pretty much any key and it should work. The biggest exception to that is newer OEM supplied disks that need to be modified to work that way.

I would imagine Win7 works the same way Vista does, but I don't know since I haven't gotten my hands on a retail or TN/MAPS version of it.