PDA

View Full Version : Need to get Data back but computer wont let me

sonny22
03-20-2008, 06:00 PM
Hi everyone,

My fairly new compaq laptop started acting funny a couple of weeks ago. The mousepad started getting "de-sensitized" i.e. i had to really press my finger on the mousepad for it to respond. The computer itself slowed down considerably. It wont let me run a virus scan and opening a browser or opening My Computer takes a long time to happen.

Additionally I have some important data on there that I need to back up but had forgotten to do so.

The USB ports are not functioning and therefore I cant use the brand new external drive i bought. The CD drive is working and i tried to burn cds and that was taking forever to do as well.

Any help in fixing my computer would be appreciated.

dnoyes
03-20-2008, 06:20 PM
There are a number of ways to get this data. Are you planning on reinstalling the OS? If so you could first do a parallel install of XP (Assuming your running XP) and then copy they files you need from that installation. Let me know if this helps.

Pc Fixed Right
03-20-2008, 07:11 PM
If you have another computer get a usb to ide/sata cable take the hard drive out of the laptop that is acting up. Plug it in to the other machine via the usb to ide cable. Do a virus scan. Go to the documents and settings folder and retrieve the information you need.

gunslinger
03-20-2008, 08:03 PM
If you have another computer get a usb to ide/sata cable take the hard drive out of the laptop that is acting up. Plug it in to the other machine via the usb to ide cable. Do a virus scan. Go to the documents and settings folder and retrieve the information you need.

Thats exactly what I would do. The usb to ide/sata cable is a must have I think. I have used mine to recover data off of two dead laptops in the past few days.

sonny22
03-20-2008, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys.

I am intrigued by the parallel install of XP. Will that allow me to get files off? I am assuming that reinstalling XP will wipe out everything on the hard-drive.

The other idea sounds feasible. I will try to open up the computer and retrieve the hard drive from the busted computer and try using the USB to IDE/SATA cable to connect it to another computer.

Can any of you suggest where i can obtain an inexpensive usb to ide/sata cable?

*Dumb question alert*

I am assuming the USB end connects to a working computer and the ide end connects to the busted hard drive. Is there any other connections like a power connection I need to worry about?

Thansk for all the help guys

syst3merror
03-20-2008, 09:39 PM
you are correct in your thinking. USB plugs into your working computer, and the IDE/sata end plugs into the harddrive on the offending computer. :) That way, you can transfer files from it onto the working computer.

sonny22
03-20-2008, 09:56 PM
I tried booting up the computer with a linux cd and it booted off that and seemd to be working fine. Is there any way to get data off the computer using linux?

Jory
03-20-2008, 11:58 PM
If you have another computer on a network you could boot up using a linux CD like you mentioned and move the files onto a shared drive. If that's not possible and you're a risk taker you could use a non-destructive partition tool to break the drive in half and move your files onto one partition and then reinstall windows on the other.

I'd try your USB ports under the linux CD too. You might be able to mount your external drive and save yourself the hassle.

Pc Fixed Right
03-21-2008, 01:10 AM
Thanks for the ideas guys.

Can any of you suggest where i can obtain an inexpensive usb to ide/sata cable?

*Dumb question alert*

I am assuming the USB end connects to a working computer and the ide end connects to the busted hard drive. Is there any other connections like a power connection I need to worry about?

Thansk for all the help guys

This is what you are looking for Sonny22 :D
Repair Tool of The Week (http://www.technibble.com/repair-tool-of-the-week-sataide-to-usb-converter/#more-772)

MrMille
03-21-2008, 12:08 PM
Plug your external drive into the laptops USB port
Boot up from a Ubuntu/Knoppix disk
Identify the external drive on the unix desktop
Right click and select properties
make external drive writtable
copy files across to external drive

OR

Buy IDE/USB cable
Split laptop case/remove laptop drive
Plug in laptop drive
Copy files across to your desktop

sonny22
03-21-2008, 05:34 PM
Hello everyone,

I appreciate the help from all of you. I managed to unplug the back of my laptop and remove the hard drive from it. Its a Compaq Presario V4000T btw.

I tried MrMille's idea but the computer would not recognize the external hard drive even in linux.

I managed to remove the back of my laptop and draw out the internal hard drive from the busted laptop. It is a 80GB AT DISC DRIVE. Its Model no. is ST9808210A.

I found a couple of USB 2.0 to IDE cables. Wanted to know which one would serve my needs.

The first one is a USB 2.0 to IDE Adapter Cable
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=USB2IDE-N

The second one is a USB 2.0 to SATA + IDE (2.5 / 3.5 / 5.25") Cable Adapter
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=2020&cpc=RECOM

I also noticed that both of these came with an external power source and adaptor whereas the hard drive that I had inside my laptop was only connected via a IDE/SATA port inside the laptop casing. I assume that the port supplied power and exchanged data. Will one of the above cable be sufficient?

Thanks

MrMille
03-21-2008, 05:48 PM
I also noticed that both of these came with an external power source

That power supply is for when you connect a 3.5" IDE drive.

sonny22
03-21-2008, 05:54 PM
Thanks MrMille,

So should I go ahead and buy the cable. Which one do you recommend?

The first one is a USB 2.0 to IDE Adapter Cable
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=USB2IDE-N

OR

The second one is a USB 2.0 to SATA + IDE (2.5 / 3.5 / 5.25") Cable Adapter

Any other websites from which i can obtain them cheap/fast would be appreciated also.

MrMille
03-21-2008, 06:03 PM