PDA

View Full Version : Renamed user, Exchange does not accept credentials anymore

Majestic
10-21-2010, 11:45 PM
hi all..

I'm maintaining a server 2003 setup and recently I've decided to change the old naming convention from the first initial , last name (e.g. jkeith@company.com) to the more standard corporate labels of userxx (i.e. user01 to user999).

The reasons for this is of course so that when employees change roles you don't need to create new profiles and you can simply reconfigure their email accounts and off you go.

In any case, I'm having a strange issue with exchange. User01 can login through exchange web, and receives his email on his desktop through Outlook and exchange. However, when he tries to access exchange using user01 through his blackberry which has been reconfigured online with the correct exchange login it does not work. He has tried with his original login name and with user01.

I have checked user rights in active directory under the exchange tabs and it at least appears to be all correct. Mobile access is enabled as well as Outlook web.

Is there a particular blackberry or exchange setting I should be changing here in order to allow his device to connect to exchange again?

I'm not an exchange expert and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Majestic

dipper
10-21-2010, 11:55 PM
Are you using Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) or just connecting via POP3?

If its via POP3 can you connect both inside and outside of the network via POP3 using Outlook?

Majestic
10-22-2010, 12:38 AM
Are you using Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) or just connecting via POP3?

If its via POP3 can you connect both inside and outside of the network via POP3 using Outlook?

I believe it's going through POP3. I checked the server and I don't see any references to BES. I may have to check the users blackberry but from what I can tell it's simply exchange + AD 2003.

Majestic

MHCG
10-22-2010, 12:48 AM
What corporation anywhere gives users email addresses with a userxx@ naming convention? I have NEVER heard of that in a place with permanent employees. I've only seen it in a teaching environment where students move in and out on a regular basis.

Majestic
10-22-2010, 01:12 AM
What corporation anywhere gives users email addresses with a userxx@ naming convention? I have NEVER heard of that in a place with permanent employees. I've only seen it in a teaching environment where students move in and out on a regular basis.

Well in many of the companies I've supported that's how it has been before I arrived and I have followed this convention. It makes sense to me as if somebody is taking over an old employees role it is just that much easier to replace them and with less work.

Majestic

NeutronTech
10-22-2010, 01:25 AM
Well in many of the companies I've supported that's how it has been before I arrived and I have followed this convention. It makes sense to me as if somebody is taking over an old employees role it is just that much easier to replace them and with less work.

Majestic

Did you actually change the email address or just the login name? Seems like a cold naming system. It would make me feel like the company didn't care at all about me, and that I could be replaced in an instant. For a happy medium, I would accept my position as my email address, like sales@ or marketing@ or whatever.

Majestic
10-22-2010, 01:55 AM
Did you actually change the email address or just the login name? Seems like a cold naming system. It would make me feel like the company didn't care at all about me, and that I could be replaced in an instant. For a happy medium, I would accept my position as my email address, like sales@ or marketing@ or whatever.

I only changed the login name from i.e. keith@company.com to user08@company.com but the email address is the same keith@company.com.

Majestic

NeutronTech
10-22-2010, 02:35 AM
I only changed the login name from i.e. keith@company.com to user08@company.com but the email address is the same keith@company.com.

Majestic

Yeah, that's no big deal. No one on the outside will ever see the userxx

dipper
10-22-2010, 06:31 AM
On the BB are you using userXX or the persons name?

Majestic
10-22-2010, 02:56 PM
On the BB are you using userXX or the persons name?

We have tried both. It work from exchange web and outlook desktop but not on the bb. On the Blackberry it says the credentials are invalid.

Majestic

pceinc
10-23-2010, 01:55 AM
Are your users logging in with Outlook Mobile Access (OMA)? Try using the login of domain\user in the username field.
So if the account login is keith@company.com use company\keith as the login.

Majestic
10-24-2010, 10:40 PM
Are your users logging in with Outlook Mobile Access (OMA)? Try using the login of domain\user in the username field.
So if the account login is keith@company.com use company\keith as the login.

We have both but the built in email of the blackberry is where it is not working. I really like your suggestion. I will try it on my clients blackberry and let you in.

Thanks!

Majestic