PDA

View Full Version : Startups won't startup?

syst3merror
03-19-2008, 04:00 AM
Ok, I'm not sure what has happened, and when, but for some reason when I restart my computer now, NONE of my startup entries start up?

I have checked msconfig, tuneup utilties, and even quick startup and all them show the programs as startup entries, but on restart....none!

So of course this means even my antivirus doesn't start up. Anyone know what might be wrong?

I have scanned my pc with Kaspersky and it hasn't found anything and I'm in the process of scanning spybot so I'll let you know.

But in the meantime, anyone have any suggestions? I hate to think reformat, but I will if that's my last option. :(

hawks5999
03-19-2008, 04:18 PM
use the startup tool in spybot to see what it detects as starting up.
You can insert your own startup item there - e.g. notepad.exe - c:\working.txt to debug.

syst3merror
03-19-2008, 07:14 PM
even spybot shows all my programs in the startup list, but on restart, none of them start.

When my computer starts, it is SUPPOSE to start Kaspersky, Unlocker, and Internet Download Manager.

The only thing that starts when my computer restarts is the sound icon and the safely remove hardware icon and that is it. :(

generalj
03-20-2008, 05:52 AM
In msconfig on the first tab, is diagnostic or selective option checked? If so try normal option.

syst3merror
03-20-2008, 07:21 AM
normal was selected, but I'm gonna try selective and see what happens. In all the years of using msconfig, I've never even once paid attention to that. :( duh! lol

Jory
03-21-2008, 12:00 AM
I'd do a virus scan from a boot CD and run a rootkit checker.